1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Fuel Filter Problems

Old 03-14-2003, 10:36 PM
ranger_dan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter Problems

I tried replacing the fuel filter on my 1996 ranger this evening...but couldn't get it off. We used the special tool, pliers, screwdrivers, and all the ideas and force we could with no luck of getting the outflow stem disconnected. We eventually reconnected the old one and put the project on hold.

Any thoughts on how to get it off?

Old 03-14-2003, 11:50 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fuel Filter Problems

Hi ranger_dan. Welcome to FTE

First off make sure you've got rid of the pressure in the fuel lines by pressing in the valve on the fuel rail while holding a rag over it.
Or disconnect the inertia switch and run the engine til it runs out of gas.
Are you using the plastic or metal tool? The metal one is much better.
Did you manage to get the one end off and not the other?
I usually start by spraying lots of WD40 into the connector to clean it out. Push the fuel line in towards the filter then push the tool in while holding the line in to the filter. Once the tool is the whole way in then you can pull the line back....hopefully. Sometimes you can pry the tool into the line while also prying the line from the filter at the same time. I've also seen the "fingers" inside the fuel line get screwed up and they wouldnt come out for anything. In that case you can take some bolt cutters and cut the filter in between the filter housing and the line then get in the line with a small screwdriver or pick and pull the fingers out. Make sure you've stopped at your local dealer and picked up new fingers first though
Let us know how you make out with this.

Old 07-12-2003, 10:22 AM
xyphrx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter Problems

Hi, I would like to share with you my fuel filter replacement experience.
My fuel line on the pressure end ,that is from the tank to the filter has a housing with an inner spring. I tried four different types of tools; the round plastic ones, the scisors two end type in aluminum, the plastic ones sissors type, and the winner was the one made by Performance Tool, W1024 ( on front of package, and on tool there is this number: W83131)it is anodized yellow aluminum, much more precision unlike the others others. It was a breeze. It is for 3/8 lines, and paid 10 bucks or so at Pepboys.
Hope this can be of help.