Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Senior User

Superred2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Replacement Motor

I have been looking through the Craigslist in the effort to find a I-6 300 to rebuild or as just a replacement to the old tired one in my 86 and have found several motors out of early 90 model trucks. I was wondering what the differences were other than fuel injection that occurred to the 300 from the early 80's into the 90's.

My thoughts are that if I can find a good motor with solid compression, I could just swap everything over from my 86 to the new on prior to dropping it in. I have already performed a Duraspark II conversion and new non-feedback carb. I just didn't know if there were any physical changes I should look out for. I actually found one yesterday that if I pull it, I can have it for $200. I'll check the compression first...
Old 03-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Posting Guru

desperado_18_2000 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
While an EFI engine will probably just drop right in, you have a couple things that might be an issue. First off, the fuel pump boss is there but the slot is blocked off so you'll either have to go to a electric fuel pump, or cut it out to use the mechanical one.

Also if it is a real late EFI block, it may not have the Z bar connection at the back of the block. This is for the mechanical clutch setup, so if you don't have it don't worry about it.

Lastly you have to worry about the fast burn head, which is what all EFI engines had since beginning production. This one isn't so bad to deal with, it just requires adjusting or "curving" the distributor to more precisely control just how fast the timing comes in. You may not even have to do this, but more than likely if you don't the motor will ping and not run correctly because of it.

IMO if it were me, I'd buy the EFI engine anyway just because it's possibly lower mileage, and none of the things I listed are a deal breaker they just need to be dealt with.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Senior User

Great info! The one I was looking at was a 92 with 140K on it. I'm ok with going to an electric fuel pump, but mine is a 4 speed with the hydraulic clutch so the z-bar might be an issue.

Is it possible to replace an EFI head with mine if I don't want to go to an EFI engine? I could have the head rebuilt so I would have a new top end, but are there differences in the pistons from year to year?

I guess going to EFI would be cool. I would need to get the computer though.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Postmaster

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
If you are going to take the time to have the head done, why not just rebuild what you have?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Posting Guru

desperado_18_2000 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurredon View Post
If you are going to take the time to have the head done, why not just rebuild what you have?
I'd listen to this bit of advice. However, if cash is tight and you can only afford to get the engine and some head work go for it. Its still gonna take some tuning but nothing impossible.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Senior User

I'm thinking hard about what Desperado said about getting a fuel injected engine. That might be the way to go. If I can find a donor truck where I can get the fuel pump out of the tank, that would be the best route. Time to start looking...
Old 03-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Post Fiend

bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.
I dont think he met use the fuel injection, get a fuel injected engine and put your carb intake on it is what I read.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Senior User

What would be wrong with converting to a fuel injected engine?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Post Fiend

bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.
Nothing, you would just need to get the harness and computer.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:23 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
150, 429, 90modle, ford, motor, replacement, trucks