Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner
Old 11-12-2014, 05:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Can a mechanically challenged person change battery cables ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 AM
quiacato
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can a mechanically challenged person change battery cables ???

My truck will not start - I am pretty sure it is the cables/connectors. I was in the process of pricing them out and having my boyfriend replace this weekend when he is home. Now I am stuck at home and cant get to work - if I cannot get the dealer I bought the truck from to fix it ( I bought it 5 weeks ago so it is technically not covered ) is it something I can do myself????? I have never worked on a vehicle before but do want to learn....

I have checked the batteries and the voltage is good - the connectors are beat and the cables have been spliced so I am pretty sure that is the problem. Tapping on the battery worked this weekend when it would not start, now it is not. There is no clicking when trying to start - so probably not the starer right???

ARGH - I really need to be at work right now!!!!!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:30 AM
jKsled
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
simple answer. yes. if you have a socket set/pliers somewhere it's as simple a job as can be. unbolt from battery, unbolt the other ends, and replace

Old 03-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by quiacato
My truck will not start - I am pretty sure it is the cables/connectors. I was in the process of pricing them out and having my boyfriend replace this weekend when he is home. Now I am stuck at home and cant get to work - if I cannot get the dealer I bought the truck from to fix it ( I bought it 5 weeks ago so it is technically not covered ) is it something I can do myself????? I have never worked on a vehicle before but do want to learn....

I have checked the batteries and the voltage is good - the connectors are beat and the cables have been spliced so I am pretty sure that is the problem. Tapping on the battery worked this weekend when it would not start, now it is not. There is no clicking when trying to start - so probably not the starer right???

ARGH - I really need to be at work right now!!!!!

If the truck was running yester day with your cables, it will run today with the same ones. is the truck turning over? You need two good batteries because you need at least 10.5 volts to run the truck(mening 12.5 before the Glow Plug regulator kicks in). What do you mean 'tapping' on the battery? You should have two batteries. If you 'tapped' on them you may have made the connections worse by allowing the corrosion of the batteries get in between the 'cable' and the 'posts'. You need to loosen the bolts on each battery cable (four in all) and clean them off with baking soda (and a little water) and a wire brush. When you have them clean (posts and connections) make sure that you wash all of the corrotion and baking soda from off of the truck as it not good to let it stay on the metal. Dry off the battery terminal and cables and then oput back on and tighten down.

Do you understand the fundimentals of a Diesel truck and how to start it? 'Wait to start' light and the Glow Plugs? If it is cold where you are it may need a little more time to warm up the Glow Plugs before your try to start it. You do not just jump in and start cranking on the starter.

The issue may not be your cables at all but an other small problem that we need to address.

What year is your truck. You will like it once you understand it a little better.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:54 AM
quiacato
Junior User
Brother Les - I have owned a Diesel before ( a 2008 ) I traded it to try and save money LOL ( too much debt from a divorce). The truck I have now is a 2001 F350 with 98k.

The trucked was plugged in last night and I always wait for the glow plugs to warm. As the plugs are warming I always hear a "woosh" sound then turn the key - nothing is happening, no click, nothing. The radio/dash/and interior lights are coming on but that is it. Something I noticed when I trying to start it again is if I turn the heat/ac **** I can hear something going on in the truck even though it is not running???

Last week it would not start and we checked both batteries, the voltage was 13 I think on both. After messing with the batteries it started. One of the connectors is so beat up I can pull it right off the battery which is why we were tapping on it...I cannot see any corrosion on either battery.

When I left work last night the first time I went to turn it on, nothing happened, turned key again and it started right up. Once it is going it is running great. Does this sound like a battery thing or something else???

Thanks for help.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Brother Les - I have owned a Diesel before ( a 2008 ) I traded it to try and save money LOL ( too much debt from a divorce). The truck I have now is a 2001 F350 with 98k.

The trucked was plugged in last night and I always wait for the glow plugs to warm. As the plugs are warming I always hear a "woosh" sound then turn the key - nothing is happening, no click, nothing. The radio/dash/and interior lights are coming on but that is it. Something I noticed when I trying to start it again is if I turn the heat/ac **** I can hear something going on in the truck even though it is not running???

Last week it would not start and we checked both batteries, the voltage was 13 I think on both. After messing with the batteries it started. One of the connectors is so beat up I can pull it right off the battery which is why we were tapping on it...I cannot see any corrosion on either battery.

When I left work last night the first time I went to turn it on, nothing happened, turned key again and it started right up. Once it is going it is running great. Does this sound like a battery thing or something else???

Thanks for help.

It sounds as if it is not a battery or cable problem as you are getting the Glow plug cycle going on. Being plugged in will have everything warmed enough to start. It sounds like a starter problem. Most likely a loose starter wire or a starter bolt has backed out (one of mine fell out and I had to replace it) and you are not getting a 'ground' at the starter.

When it was 'turning over' did it sound really good and fast as always? If it did then the starter should be fine... I think it is a starter connection at the power side or your bolts have backed out enough to where it is not grounding to complete a cerciut. I aploligise if it sounded like I was not giving your the benifit of the dought.

Welcome to Ford Enthusiasts Fourm. We will get this figured out with out before you are spending money on things you don't need.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master

Thanks for help.

Every thing that you have stated is normal 'start up' noises..... I think the problem points straight to a starter issue. Bad starter or bad connections. My first guess... bad starter connections at the starter, either power cord or not grounding.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:28 AM
quiacato
Junior User
When it starts it always turns right over. I took my work clothes off and put my jeans off - what should I go look for? I really want to learn how to work on my truck myself so I guess today is a good a day as any to start

Old 03-08-2011, 09:46 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you turn the connections on the battery right now? Anytime you can turn these connections they are loose, and loose would give you the grief you are describing. As you had noted.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:51 AM
quiacato
Junior User
Turn them... I can pull them right off! They are so beat up I cannot tighten them - that is why we were originally thinking that was the problem. Would hate to buy them at the dealer today and have that not be it - they are $210 at the dealer!

Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 AM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Everything posted sounds right on, put new cables on both batteries anyway, sounds like they need replacement, and don't beat on the batteries, and when you go get the cables, take the batteries with you and load test them. If one is bad you should replace both, in pairs. If moneys tight you can still buy one and still be ok. And also welcome to FTE. P.S. Get them clothes on and go work on that Truck!!

Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Nick 99
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Where are you located? There are a lot of people on this forum that would be glad to help you to do a basic battery cable 101 course on site.
Nick

Old 03-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
When it starts it always turns right over. I took my work clothes off and put my jeans off - what should I go look for? I really want to learn how to work on my truck myself so I guess today is a good a day as any to start

Your cables should be clean and tight. Lights and radio will come on oK if you have one batter hooked up fine. You need to have both hooked up fine to get er started. If you hear no noise from the starter, (clicks or hard turn over) then your issue (IMHO) is the starter area. If you want to 'Wack' the starter with a hammer a couple of times, that may get it off its 'dead area' (if it has one) and/or ground better.

We will get this figured out. If you do have to take your batteries in to get them load tested or replaced, I would suggest getting the starter tested also. be very careful when you take the wire (small and large)
off as you can twist them right out of the casing (yep, I broke my starter housing). Make sure if you are taking the starter off to have it tested that the cables are off of Both of your Batteries as you have a full time hot wire going to the Starter, it will arch and spark and make you jump a little .

Old 03-08-2011, 10:26 AM
quiacato
Junior User
A friends mechanic brother is on his way over with some tools... and battery tester/charger. Lets hope it is a quick fix, I think either way I will get the cables/connectors replaced. I have no idea what the previous owner did to them but they have been mashed all to heck. Going to watch and learn when he gets here..

Old 03-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Nick 99
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You will learn a lot more if you do the work and let him watch!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:56 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Ummmm really? I don't think your boyfriend would want you working on the truck nekkid. hehe

Quick Reply: Can a mechanically challenged person change battery cables ???