Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Next Generation F-150. (What would you like to see?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:28 PM
AB328
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am liking these ideas...Some I would like to see:

Redesigned doors/windows so the rattles and broken accuators stop. Also, living here in MN the doors never latch well in cold weather and ice snow builds up between the cab and door space

SOFTER INTERIOR MATERIALS!! Again living in a cold state, the current materials creak/rattle/groan waaay too much for my liking when cold

Better design of the windshield wipers and cowling area. Perhaps a heated reservoir for fluid and heat the area where the wipers meet the glass

Electroluminescent gauges

Better quality interior carpet/cloth seats

Already mentioned, but get better wheel wheel protection!! Way too much space for mud and water to get inside engine bay

Already mentioned, but lose some weight and get the Hydraulic Assist Technology up and running for 2012!!

Already mentioned, but illuminate the 4x4 ****!!

Already mentioned, but allow for diff. lock to engage in 2wd

HID headlights

Already mentioned, but expand Ecoboost line into 5.0

Old 03-08-2011, 07:29 PM
wolf189
Senior User

Originally Posted by Eric Landstrom
I'd like to see the storage space in the fold-down arm rest in the bench seat be at least as big as the prior 04-08 version of the F150. Why is it smaller now? What were you thinking?
THIS! It's probably my biggest gripe about the interior of my new truck, I can't see any reason why they had to make that space so small, the armrest is the same size, so why would the inside of the arm rest have gotten smaller? That and giving us back the A-pillar grab handle would make me an even happier new truck owner.

Oh, and if they could put these things on a bit of a diet without sacrificing too much capability then I would consider that something of a plus as well.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:16 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Great ideas here from everyone. One question though......how is everyone going to react when things like this are implemented and the cost of a new truck goes way higher than it is now? I mean right now you can option an F-150 to an MSRP north of $54k. How much is this kind of stuff going to add to that? Just curious.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
muncle
Freshman User
I would like to see a regular cab truck with roll down windows and the 6.2. You know a real truck for hauling stuff without the 42K price tag. Dang, do you have to be rich to haul a big boat?

Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Jason Lewis
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WV-150
I would like to see them shrink back to the size of the 80s and 90s.They are getting too big.
Been saying that sence 2004 !

Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While already mentioned, I think the most economically sensible yet still great change would be to make drivetrains options not so attached to trim packages. F150s are not cheap trucks anymore, and if one could get almost any engine with any trim they could tailor the truck to their likings and buy something they can afford.

I agree that a lot of these luxury addition ideas will only drive prices up and only serve those who buy top dollar trucks. Unless they are only options, all will suffer the price hike.

I think a diesel option would be cool, but at this point I don't see the point in it. The ecoboost is accomplishing what a diesel would in a half ton, but with a motor that uses fuel that has been much cheaper for the past few years. Don't get me wrong, I have a 7.3 PSD Excursion with 270,000 miles on it that I love for the longevity and towing abilities, but I don't think a diesel would sell well in a half ton. Diesel prices are too high now. The towing advantage would be little if any unless displacement was relatively high, and therefore, fuel economy lower. And as for longevity, I think all of these new motors can be expected to be reliable and good for 250,000+ miles if treated well. I think the customers that want a diesel for towing would rather have a Super Duty.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:59 PM
seminaryranger
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
I mean right now you can option an F-150 to an MSRP north of $54k. How much is this kind of stuff going to add to that? Just curious.
            ------------------

I'm willing to pay to play. I think Ford just needs to be careful not to make everything as standard features but at the same time not corner some really cool options to one model or trim level. The 6.2L is going to be a rare bird because you gotta reach way up on the top shelf to get it. And that's too bad. The same goes for the basic 3.7L XL & STX regular cab, V6 trucks. They're decked out with power this and roll stability that when you just really want an inexpensive commuter/job truck. There's my 2 cents

Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 PM
            wolf189
            Senior User

Originally Posted by powerstroke72
            Great ideas here from everyone. One question though......how is everyone going to react when things like this are implemented and the cost of a new truck goes way higher than it is now? I mean right now you can option an F-150 to an MSRP north of $54k. How much is this kind of stuff going to add to that? Just curious.
            dunno, I guess that it depends on which of these things we've asked for they give us and how much the prices jump for those things but... in general I would be willing to pay SOME additional $$$ for SOME of the things listed thus far and if they had been in the option book then what is sitting in my driveway right now might be a somehwat different (and thus possibly more expensive) truck than what is there. Granted that you CAN spec an F-150 out into the 50k+ range but, my nicely equipped XLT came in at an MSRP of 36,995 so, even if we added a couple of grand to that we'd still be looking at a sub 40k truck which is a number I could learn to live with (for the right truck).

Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 PM
            powerstroke72
            Super Moderator
            Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
            Sounds good. And don't get me wrong here, I'm not knocking any of the ideas. In fact, quite the contrary....I think there are a lot of great ideas here. I just question how much it may end up hurting Ford if the prices keep going through the roof. Of course, the same can be said for the Super Duty trucks and a lot of the rest of the lineup as well.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:41 AM
            blueovelboy
            Elder User
            Received 1 Like on 1 Post
            only two things i want
            #1 a six speed that dont kick in and out of 1st to 2ND and back down 2ND to 1st hits so hard it makes me think i just got hit!
            #2 better gas milage or a diesel that will have great milage!
            oh hell make it 3
            #3 back seats that recline

Old 03-09-2011, 05:38 AM
            peety37
            Freshman User
            Make a Truck thats a Truck

They need to bring back a 150 XL long bed, reg cab, big engine, max tow. If you want a good work truck to tow and carry without spending 35k+. i.e
            reg cab, long bed,6.2l,vinyl seats, vinyl floor, 6sp auto or 5sp man, and power nothing. Yes you can do this is a SD but I want it in a 150. Years ago ford gave us those options with the F100, F250 and, F350.

Bring back the option of a Basic work truck when a Truck was a Truck

Old 03-09-2011, 05:46 AM
            tseekins
            Super Moderator
            Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
            John does bring up a good point about price though. It's important to improve on what's there and yet be care on what you really want.

As a for instance: An STX truck carries nearly the same price as an XLT. This shouldn't be happening. The STX and FX4 look the same, why buy the STX for none other than saving money?

I can remember in the '80-'96 models when the XLT Lariat was the cat's meow. Now the XLT is a base model truck with features available on the XL and STX models and it's still very pricey. Trucks have evolved and for the better.

I am sick of Ford's signature grey and tan interiors. Ford is doing some pretty cool interior choices on the SD's, howbout the F-150's?

But, to be totally honest with you guys, I think the future of trucks is changing in a away that many purists will not like. I personally believe that F-150 will eventually become unibody trucks, front wheel drive with locking rear axle and will take on the persona of a heavier duty Honda Ridgeline type of vehicle. For those that need / want more, the SD will answer the call.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:31 AM
            MCDavis
            Hotshot
            Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
            Originally Posted by tseekins
            But, to be totally honest with you guys, I think the future of trucks is changing in a away that many purists will not like. I personally believe that F-150 will eventually become unibody trucks, front wheel drive with locking rear axle and will take on the persona of a heavier duty Honda Ridgeline type of vehicle. For those that need / want more, the SD will answer the call.
            Tim, are you hinting at a truck based off the new Explorer platform? Honestly, I would have to agree with you somewhat on this one. If you think about what 90% of the light duty/half ton truck owners out there do with their trucks, a unibody truck fits the bill. Sure it's not the most appealing from a "truck" standpoint, but if it meant lighter weight, better ride, could still take 1000-1500lbs in the bed, and could capably/safely tow 8000lbs then what more would a light duty/half ton owner need?
            I actually considered the Ridgeline this past summer in my search, but I just couldn't get past the exterior looks. It fit my needs perfectly across the rest of my search though, aside from needing a slightly longer bed.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:43 AM
            WV-150
            Junior User
            Originally Posted by WV-150
            I would like to see them shrink back to the size of the 80s and 90s.They are getting too big.
            Don't think it will ever happen but I would like to see a F100 the size of the first generation Tundra.I love my 2011 F150 and it gets 18 to 20 MPG but it is just too big.The same engine and gears in a 1000lb lighter and smaller truck should get 22 to 24 MPG.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:55 AM
            rotti799
            Freshman User
            WV-150 you are right when i got my 2009 f-150screw after trading in my 06 screw ,
            i could not believe how much bigger it is

Quick Reply: Next Generation F-150. (What would you like to see?)