Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Next Generation F-150. (What would you like to see?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:44 AM
WV-150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StreetsideStig
It wouldn't be the first time Ford has made a unibody truck.

I don't necessarily think it's a good move, but I'm something of a purist, like Tim mentioned.

(Also, I really love this photo.)
I think this truck had a frame but the bed and cab were one piece.I guess a unibody would look like that.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Eric Landstrom
Senior User
Originally Posted by SRT
Excellent thread; hope someone from Ford is listening. Here are a couple things I didn't see mentioned above:

1) Put a timer or a cancel button in the chime circuit -- it bugs me. Military and commercial airplanes have done this for more than 50 years -- it ain't rocket science.

2) Since the 1950's, every car I've bought has had an under-hood light, a glove compartment light, and some sort of interior courtesy floor lights (not just a dome light). Ford apparently removed all of these lights from the 2008 Lariat to save a few bucks. Put them back, or make a lighting package an option -- some of us liked all those lights.

3) Since Ford has failed to install daytime running lights, I always turn my headlights on when driving during daylight hours. Turning the lights on during the day, makes the system assume it's dark outside -- so it dims all the dash light, including the GPS map (if left in the "auto" mode). Consequently, I can't use the map auto mode; and I have to turn off the headlights, if I want to see any of the dash readouts on a bright sunny day. This is a poor set-up. Day-light running lights should be offered; and the dash lights should go to full bright (day or night), when selected. I don't like these auto systems that keep forcing me to adapt to them -- it should be the other way around.
FWIW, I believe that Ford has retained the provision to turn off the seatbelt chime. Check your owner's manual for the new generation but if I recall, while sitting in the seat, turn the ignition key on (in the run position without starting), wait until the safety lamp turns off and then within 50 seconds of the lamp turning off, buckle and unbuckle the seatbelt of the seat you're sitting in nine times. After the ninth time the seatbelt light will come back on and within 10 seconds, buckle and unbuckle the seat belt one more time. The seatbelt light will cycle on and off four times to confirm that you've no more seatbelt chime for that seat. Repeat for other seats.

For the key in the ignition chime, if Ford kept the same steering column design as the prior generation F150, you must pop the lower beauty cover off and disconnect the black with pink tracer wire and tape it up.

I don't like daytime running lights but Ford used to sell daytime running lights as an accessory. I think it was a relay that was plugged into an empty socket on the fuse box for American trucks.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:48 AM
wolf189
Senior User

Originally Posted by WV-150
I don,t think the F150 will ever be unibody but if they do make a unibody truck it will be a F100.I would consider one.Imagine one with the 5.0 engine.If Ford continues with the large fits all concept they will begin to lose sales to a new 2012 or 2013 redesigned Tacoma that will most likely be the size of the first generation Tundra.I would consider one of these also just because of the size.Ford needs a mid size truck and a lighter weight and smaller unibody truck would fill that need.
Agreed that they need something in the mid-sized range. It may not be as profitable a market as the bigger fully loaded trucks can be but, there is a big demand for smaller, more maneuverable, more fuel-efficient trucks and as gas prices continue to rise that demand is just going to get stronger (confession, a Ranger probably better fits my actual NEEDS than an F-150 but, I liked the look and feel of the F-150 better so that's what I went for, but... if there had been a F-100 type truck that gave me the look and feel of the F-150 without being quite so big then that would definitely have been the winner for me).

oh, and like others have said, gimme the dead pedal for my left foot darnit!!!

Old 03-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Scorpion67
Elder User
I can't see the F150 moving to unibody, but I could see it happening to the Expedition. Range Rovers are unibody, and they are plenty capable.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:24 PM
wolf189
Senior User

Originally Posted by Scorpion67
I can't see the F150 moving to unibody, but I could see it happening to the Expedition. Range Rovers are unibody, and they are plenty capable.
yeah, I dunno about the unibody idea... yes it could be done, and yes it can be done strong enough to work but... will the average half ton pickup buyer/potential buyer even consider a unibody truck regardless of how capable it is? or, would it be an immediate deal-breaker for too many ppl? eventually it may very well happen but, personally I just don't see it happening for another few generations of this line at the earliest.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:39 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorpion67
I was thinking about this the other day. It is my opinion that what happens to the Expy will eventually happen to the F-150.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:20 PM
tempforce
Senior User
make a f100 short narrow box v-8 eco boost, 6 spd auto. 60's sized body, so it will be easy to park and have great mileage. standard cab with 3" extra behind the seat, not a club or extended cab.
a propane or natural gas option, with a higher compression direct liquid injection engine, to take advantage of the high octane of the fuels.
a low priced basic truck with lots of options or accessories available to customize. (like dodge/ram is doing).

'Eric Landstrom'
the daytime driving lights are controlled by the computer, they just need to be activated by the dealer or someone with the proper tool.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
Now that I own a new truck, I would like to see Ford mount a rugged durable step on the front bumper supports so we can get into the engine bay.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:52 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but visibility could be improved. My work truck is a SCAB and trying to pull out into an intersection with a skew is almost impossible.

I actually had to open the door and stand on the door sill to see one time. between the passenger's head rest and the head rest for the rear seat, all the windows were completely blocked!

I understand that safety is important, but how safe is it when the owner resorts to removing all the headrests so that he can see at all intersections? I've left the passenger's headrest in place, but it is riding the bubble ... it is in the way much more often than it is not.

Also, could we make them a little shorter? I'm 6'02" and I have to climb into the bed to get tools out of my tool box ... who are these being built for? Shaq? Do we have to buy the sissy steps and all the other junk that come with that 'package' so that we can use it like a truck?

I'd be a big supporter of getting rid of packages as well. I want cruise control. that's it. no sync, no other gadets are required.

Vynal floors are great. Make them an option at all trim levels, cloth seats too.

Why does a "chrome package" include 18" wheels? Do you guys even care that it cost 1200 bucks to replace tires for 18's? I sure do, I plan on putting 4 or 5 sets on. Nothing against chrome wheels, just don't need 18's ....

Maybe it's a step in the wrong direction, but I think the 4.6 3V would be easier to sell to the buying public than a V6. The 3V with the SFE pack touted 21mpg ... that's all the V6 is doing ... I don't see how 300 hp at 6800rpm is helpfull in a truck. give me 290 at 5500, that's fine for me.

If I could check all my favorite boxes....
XL, v8, 3.73's Locker, cruise, vynal floors, manual 4x4, cloth seats, power windows and seats maybe ... that's about it.

I just want a truck .... and i think having to pay 30,000 or more is out of line.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:22 AM
tempforce
Senior User
a smaller f100/150 is needed for the average guy, the ranger is gone and most don't need the huge truck they make now. that's why i said size it the same as those built in the sixties. you could actually roll up a passenger side window at a stop sign, without unbuckling. and make it so the average person doesn't need to carry a step around, to use the bed.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:44 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I know this will never happen but I would really like for Ford to be able to test, test, test and test more the newly introduced electronic before releasing them to production. Although I have had good luck with my new truck, I feel like a guinea pig sometimes.

I certainly don't think there should be any more gadgets added. Some new F150 owners think they are driving a BMW or Mercedes like it is.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 AM
curtw48
Senior User
"a smaller f100/150 is needed for the average guy, the ranger is gone and most don't need the huge truck they make now"

This coming from a guy driving a Dodge mega-cab...lol

Old 08-10-2011, 12:16 PM
tempforce
Senior User
'hey', curtw48, did you notice i have a '83' diesel ranger.
which i have outgrown.
i gave my 1/2 ton to my son, and wish i would of kept it. after using the big truck shopping.
the big truck is used mostly for trips and pulling trailers...
i was going to pick up a new ranger in the next few months, ford tells us sorry..
so how about a smaller 1/2 ton....

Old 08-10-2011, 12:21 PM
curtw48
Senior User
If they are gonna make a smaller half ton, I hope they badge it F100 and leave the F150 like it is. For my needs the heavy duty F150 is perfect.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:58 PM
tempforce
Senior User
i'll agree with you there, as there is lots of people who like that sized truck.
if i was further along with the '56' f100, i wouldn't worry about it. i think it will be at least 6 more years b4 it will be usable...

Quick Reply: Next Generation F-150. (What would you like to see?)