Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Junior User

NYC F-350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unique IPR valve problem. HELP!

I just installed a new HPOP and upon reinstallation of the IPR valve, something is not quite right. The connector is now pointed up close to the exhaust inlet to the turbo after it is torqued to spec.
Anyone have a clue why? Did I screw up?
Pic below to show the concern:

Click the image to open in full size.

It now points upwards, where before it pointed downward and slightly towards the front of the truck. If I have to remove it, I do have an extra o-ring.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:36 PM
New User

starrs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just turn the connector back where you need it. It spins.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Posting Guru

Piolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
I just installed a new HPOP and upon reinstallation of the IPR valve, something is not quite right. The connector is now pointed up close to the exhaust inlet to the turbo after it is torqued to spec.
Anyone have a clue why? Did I screw up?
Pic below to show the concern:

It now points upwards, where before it pointed downward and slightly towards the front of the truck. If I have to remove it, I do have an extra o-ring.
Mine points straight up.
Due to recent budget cuts the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Interstate Menace

william_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputation
Have you tried just twisting it to re-clock the connector? The IPR body will rotate on the valve.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrs View Post
Just turn the connector back where you need it. It spins.
Thank you guys for responding so quickly!!
Heres the rub, I can not spin it. It will not budge!

Piolet: How long has it been that way? No problems with it being like that?
Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Posting Guru

Piolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Piolet: How long has it been that way? No problems with it being like that?
I don't know how long it's been that way. The oasis report showed that the last owner did all work at the dealer but there's no mention of any work on the IPR and I haven't done it. I'm at 213,000 miles now and no issues I know of related to IPR ... my new knocking issue ... that's a whole other thing
Due to recent budget cuts the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Junior User

Ok, thanks. Made me feel better about it. I hope you figure out that knocking going on soon!

Thanks to all who replied so quickly.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Postmaster

m-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant future
The IPR valve on 2003 engines (like Piolet's truck) is supposed to point at the 12 o'clock position. On late-build 2004 and up trucks such as NYC F-350's truck, it points at the 4 o'clock position. And yes, the IPR valve is supposed to spin independently of the hex (otherwise we wouldn't be able to install our IPR sockets on it to remove/install it). Hope this helps.
....but STILL loves hot women with big boobies
....and STILL hates working on E-Series with 6.0L
Old 03-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Posting Guru

Thanks m-chan .... that's the little nuggets of info this site is great for.

Now shameless plug for my own post ...
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...placement.html

any ideas m-chan?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Postmaster

m-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piolet View Post
Now shameless plug for my own post ...
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...placement.html

any ideas m-chan?
Make sure all three FICM connectors are plugged in properly, since you mention one of the lock tabs are broken off. Otherwise, yeah that sounds like the typical 6.0L cold start stiction, if it clears up when the engine warms up.
....but STILL loves hot women with big boobies
....and STILL hates working on E-Series with 6.0L
Old 03-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
The IPR valve on 2003 engines (like Piolet's truck) is supposed to point at the 12 o'clock position. On late-build 2004 and up trucks such as NYC F-350's truck, it points at the 4 o'clock position. And yes, the IPR valve is supposed to spin independently of the hex (otherwise we wouldn't be able to install our IPR sockets on it to remove/install it). Hope this helps.
Thank you m-chan68 for posting up!
I removed the valve and was able to spin it enough to get it orientated in the correct position. I just had visions of total failure by twisting it that hard.
My first time in this far, thank you all for the reassurance.
Love this site!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a brilliant futurecheezit has a brilliant futurecheezit has a brilliant futurecheezit has a brilliant futurecheezit has a brilliant futurecheezit has a brilliant futurecheezit has a brilliant futurecheezit has a brilliant futurecheezit has a brilliant futurecheezit has a brilliant futurecheezit has a brilliant future
if you spray them down with some wd40 and spin them to lossen them up a little they are not as bad to align
mods arp,egr delete, tuned, 91 gallon RDS fuel tank.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Elder User

djanzen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.djanzen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
the solenoid is a completely separate piece from the ipr valve remove the nut and washer off the end and you can pull the solenoid right off and clean both pieces with a scotch brite pad and then the contact is better and it is easily moved. just when you tighten the nut it only needs about 15-20 inch pounds of torque!! just enough to prevent it from turning

2003 CC/SB/4X4 6.0 LARIAT 3.5 leveling kit by fab tech, 08 taillights and bumper, bocar front bumper, 05harley headlights, egr delete by ME. Auber egt, trans,fuel pressure gauges.
2011 F550,vmac compressor,Tiger 5000lb Crane, 11.5 Brutus service Body http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...ice-truck.html
Old 03-07-2011, 07:37 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2006, 60, 73, diesel, f350, ford, ipr, location, pointed, powerstroke, problems, removing, troubleshoot, turbo, valve