Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

'86 f-250 - won't shut off!

Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sw1tchfoot
If the idle is set too high it won't shut off.
I'm not an expert on the IDI's but I dont think this is correct.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:59 PM
ctubutis
Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
OK, I moved it here (from 80-86).

Old 03-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
Setting the idle too high won't keep it from shutting off. The fuel shutoff solenoid need power to open & allow fuel through. If power is removed, it should close. If it isn't closing, it's most likely mechanically jammed. Filling the pump with Diesel Kleen is the first thing to try.

U-Haul is de-commissioning their IDI trucks, ans selling off their stock of parts.
Here's a link to U-Hauls' eBay store listing for the rebuilt pump I just got:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11401.m516.l1123/7?euid=4f5387893f8c4e4d995fcfcba9ef58c5&loc=http%3 A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewIte m%26item%3D200425807183%26ssPageName%3DADME%3AL%3A OU%3AUS%3A1123[/URL]

The pump for the later 7.3's goes on a 6.9, and has a "torque screw" which can help fine-tune it.

Pensacola has a good deal on new Delphi BB-code injectors:

Pensacola Fuel Injection | Worlds #1 Diesel Rebuilder - FORD 6.9L - 7.3L :: INJECTORS :: SET OF 8..84-1993 6.9-7.3 NEW Delphi Injectors (No Cores)

You'd also need a return line kit. Read the forum posts about IP & injector replacement here & you'll learn more than you need to know...

Good luck!

Old 03-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Alex21
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Lazy K
However I think I would try to unstick it. Take the fuel filter off, empty it and fill with Diesel Kleen or similar and replace, toss the rest into the tank. Start the engine and let it run for around 30secs and (if you can) shut it off. Let it sit for several hours (pref overnight) and then run it as normal, see if it helps.
did this, seems to be working great now! the shutoff clicks nicely! i went to the junkyard, too, and picked up a whole new injector pump for a couple bucks. the shutoff works in that one, too! so now it works, and i have a spare. XD

Old 03-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Alex21
New User
you guys are great! i've already fixed a good number of things with troubleshooting help from this site. thanks for your help, and keep posting!

Old 03-08-2011, 07:20 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Is the truck equipped with a manual transmission? If so, put that sucker in 4th gear and stall it.

The Fuel Shutoff Solenoid (FSS) needs 12v to it in order to OPEN and allow the engine to run. If you kill the power source to the FSS, the solenoid closes and shuts off the fuel supply...so the engine shuts off.

Disconnecting the batteires won't kill it either, I've tried that before too! Which has me stumped right now...unless the alternator keeps power supplied to the FSS to keep it open?

If the truck has a high idle speed, that will not effect it's ability to shut off.

How many miles are on your truck? They're good for about 100k miles, then they slowly start to wear out with increased mileage. There are plenty of trucks running around with original pumps or high mileage pumps, and they're just fine. They just aren't as good as they could be is all.

6.9 Ford Diesel parts Fuel Injection Turbocharger
I bought my Injection pump and 8 brand new Delphi injectors from them about 3 years ago. 30k abusive miled later, and being swapped between 2 trucks...they're fabulous!
Although when I got them, I didn't know I could have upgraded the fuel system. 83-94 (CAREFUL SAYING 1994 model year when buying parts, as the Powerstroke was also available in 94) IDI fuel system parts are interchangeable. You can put a 93 7.3 IDI Turbo Injection pump on your 6.9 with BB code injectors and you'll have plenty of fuel...more than the stock 6.9 fuel system flows. That doesn't mean you'll get worse fuel mileage, it should increase the MPG's compared to whatever you've got now. You'll definetly have more power if your current set has high miles and is worn.

Purchase an Injection pump, 8 injectors, and an injector install kit. The job is simple and can be done with common hand tools in a day. 1" deep well socket for the injectors, a torque wrench to set the torque on the injectors (although I didn't set the torque the last time I did them, they're still fine), 5/8" wrench for the steel injector lines, 11/16" wrench for the steel lines from the filter to the IP (Injection Pump), 12-point 5/16" wrench for the IP gear behind the oil filler neck, and a few others. But you get the idea, common hand tools.. Air compressor and a blow nozzle would be great to blow off any dirt around the injectors to keep any gunk from dropping into your engine.

Phy, how do you know those injectors are BB codes? I'm curious myself what I put in my engine back before I even knew there were different codes...I bought direct 6.9 replacements...

Old 03-08-2011, 07:37 PM
juni88126
Senior User
If you look at the injector in the area were you put the one inch wrench it will have letters stamped in it.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:39 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by juni88126
If you look at the injector in the area were you put the one inch wrench it will have letters stamped in it.
Visible while still installed in the engine?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:44 PM
juni88126
Senior User
Yeah you should be able to see them. There is one spot were it will be stamped on each injector.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:56 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by juni88126
Yeah you should be able to see them. There is one spot were it will be stamped on each injector.
Thanks! I've got 8 possiblities to see what I've got

Old 03-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Alex21
New User
[quote=BlueOvalBud;10070100]Is the truck equipped with a manual transmission? If so, put that sucker in 4th gear and stall it.

The Fuel Shutoff Solenoid (FSS) needs 12v to it in order to OPEN and allow the engine to run. If you kill the power source to the FSS, the solenoid closes and shuts off the fuel supply...so the engine shuts off.

Disconnecting the batteires won't kill it either, I've tried that before too! Which has me stumped right now...unless the alternator keeps power supplied to the FSS to keep it open?
How many miles are on your truck? They're good for about 100k miles, then they slowly start to wear out with increased mileage. There are plenty of trucks running around with original pumps or high mileage pumps, and they're just fine. They just aren't as good as they could be is all.

6.9 Ford Diesel parts Fuel Injection Turbocharger
I bought my Injection pump and 8 brand new Delphi injectors from them about 3 years ago. 30k abusive miled later, and being swapped between 2 trucks...they're fabulous!
Although when I got them, I didn't know I could have upgraded the fuel system. 83-94 (CAREFUL SAYING 1994 model year when buying parts, as the Powerstroke was also available in 94) IDI fuel system parts are interchangeable. You can put a 93 7.3 IDI Turbo Injection pump on your 6.9 with BB code injectors and you'll have plenty of fuel...more than the stock 6.9 fuel system flows. That doesn't mean you'll get worse fuel mileage, it should increase the MPG's compared to whatever you've got now. You'll definetly have more power if your current set has high miles and is worn.

Purchase an Injection pump, 8 injectors, and an injector install kit. The job is simple and can be done with common hand tools in a day. 1" deep well socket for the injectors, a torque wrench to set the torque on the injectors (although I didn't set the torque the last time I did them, they're still fine), 5/8" wrench for the steel injector lines, 11/16" wrench for the steel lines from the filter to the IP (Injection Pump), 12-point 5/16" wrench for the IP gear behind the oil filler neck, and a few others. But you get the idea, common hand tools.. Air compressor and a blow nozzle would be great to blow off any dirt around the injectors to keep any gunk from dropping into your engine.
quote]

my truck has the auto tranny... C6? so no go there, but that was one of the first things i thought of, too.

i was actually just on that site, looking at the new shut down solenoid.

i've already replaced the injector overflow seals, the clips, o-rings, hoses and all that. the o-rings were dried out, about 6 of the 8 were leaking. now i just have one leaking a bit... but that is in the flare fitting, and i'm not up for changing all the hard lines yet. probably do the injectors and everything at the same time. i don't think i can afford a new pump, though. i'm looking into getting the one i found in the junk yard refurbished, can't be as much as a new one!

and i'm up on the "common hand tools." i try to do most of my own work. which, thanks to the info i find on here, i can do! have to keep the tools in my truck, too... i find myself having to tinker and macgyver to get myself home!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:13 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know how the newer fords are, but these older ones will run without the battery. Every GM I ever saw would however die without one. Even an EFI ranger from 1987 would keep on going without a battery connected.

Not sure if its hurting anything to do that though. I noticed when I moved my F150 around the yard without a battery, the tach was a bit jumpy. Other then that, the truck didn't care.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by BlueOvalBud
Phy, how do you know those injectors are BB codes? I'm curious myself what I put in my engine back before I even knew there were different codes...I bought direct 6.9 replacements...
Before I got them, another poster here had called Pensacola and was told that all the new Delphi injectors they have are BB.
I then bought a set and they were indeed BB code.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:42 AM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
If you're in a real bind...
Take the air cleaner off, take the screening off the intake manifold, and cut a piece of plywood ro other flat/hard material to fit.
When you want it shut off, put the plywood over that hole.
That thing should choke dead quick!
It's scary how much suction these engines have. Good thing that screen IS there, otherwsie I would have lost many many shop rags!

Thanks guys for clarifiying on the BB's! Hijack officially over.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:01 AM
fordhorse
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Alex21
i'm sure it could probably use them, but a new/rebuilt pump is about $500, and injectors are at least $200 +lines. i just put almost $1000 in tires on it, i haven't got another $700+ lying around just now.
injection pump 220$
http://epc.uhaul.com/LinkOne/Viewer/...ok=u-haul/ford
injectors 108$
Pensacola Fuel Injection | Worlds #1 Diesel Rebuilder - FORD 6.9L - 7.3L :: INJECTORS :: 83-93 REMAN NON TURBO INJECTOR (SET OF 8)
install kit 19$
Pensacola Fuel Injection | Worlds #1 Diesel Rebuilder - FORD 6.9L - 7.3L :: INSTALLATION KITS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '86 f-250 - won't shut off!