1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

302 Bashfest '03

Old 03-17-2003, 07:20 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
302 Bashfest '03

OK John, you've convinced me. It's a stock 272 Y-Block for my truck. The part that really helped me make up my mind is that the 272 is the only engine I've got.

Everything's cool John. Most of us appreciate knowledgable help whenever we can get it as 'fenders mentioned. For every smarta$$ remark about 302's there is at least one about whatever engine somebody else is trying to make work in these old girls.

Over here in the 48-60 Forum you sometimes have to read each post as if it had a smiley face every other word. We're really into being facile in all things and learning how to take umbrage at others remarks without taking offense (running jokes from previous posts).

Oh, one other thing. We got a new user rule - you have to mention "Ford" and "1956" in all posts on this board. You did get the "Ford" but I didn't see a "1956" in there.

Torque on, man. Torque on.

Old 03-17-2003, 07:33 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
302 Bashfest '03

There's that word again...I've been called facile a few times but they spelled it fossil.

Old 03-17-2003, 09:50 AM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 Bashfest '03

forgive me, it's hard to see sarcasm and have a sense of humor on the internet, I can't see that big 'ol smilie face attached to every post in here, but I like it. I'm gonna start reading this thread all the time now, because you guys really build these trucks from scratch, which is what I want to do someday with my '77. I realize I don't have big, cool fenders like you guys, or even a 1956 (check) Ford (check) flattie V8, but car crafting is car crafting, and I could sure learn a thing or three around here. I'm thinking that within a couple years, I want to do a frame-off restoration on my ol lady, including a boxed-in frame, and some brakes and suspension upgrades. I'm also doing an AOD upgrade with 3.90's and an LS diffy in the near future. I hate to say "pro-touring", but that's the general idea, except without the astronomical budget that those guys have. I gotta have a classic that will get up and run with anything that Detroit can put on the road, or Osaka, or Stuttgart for that matter, and still be able to drive it everyday.

Since everything's cool now, I'll go ahead and share the "10 things I hate about you" for my 302:

1) thermostat housing. Gimme a break, how many hands is it supposed to take to change a thermostat, because I only have 2. I'd actually rather remove the intake and install the intake and thermostat housing at the same time than do the juggling act required to put that thing in.

2) timing cover. I love tearing the entire engine apart to do something simple like a water pump change. Changing cams requires so much dissasembly that I feel like I have a brand new motor every time I finish. then you have to put down half a dozen gaskets to make that whole balancing act seal up, for which only 2 of them will seal by themselves, and bust out the tube of RTV to help all the others.

3) crank sprocket on timing set. Why does it have to be so amazingly difficult to remove that thing, and why does nobody carry a tool that will fit over it and at least help you pull it off?

4) rear main seal. I'm actually referring to the old 2-piece kind, which is completely worthless, and very difficult to seal. My truck could only keep 4.5 quarts of oil in it, because if you put that 5th one in, it would just leak right out of that seal, nomatter how much RTV or torque you put on the bolts

5) head bolts. Somebody please tell me why, why, why, Ford stopped blind tapping the head bolt bosses on post-86 blocks??? After firing up my first late-model 302 block, I was so proud to see antifreeze oozing from my head studs. It was a real nice suprise to find out that yes, all the outer head bolt bosses are tapped all the way into the water jackets. outstanding, that's just great. Somebody please tell my why they did this, because they won't even thread any farther into the block, all they've done now is allow coolant to get in and corrode the bolts/studs, and make up another way to leak fluids. They had it right the first time, so what on earth made them think of that? I had to pull all my studs out, one at a time, and coat them in liquid teflon to keep it sealed up.

6) internal/external balance. Internal balance engines are great, so why change it up on us? 50 ounce balance wieghts are stupid, I had to go junkyard-diving to find a 50 ounce harmonic dampner, and then spend $109 at Summit for a B&M flexplate, because there is no such thing as a 157 tooth flexplate with a 50 ounce balance weight. I don't care what Ford Motorsport says, they've obviously never tried to find one of these mystical creations in a boneyard, but as always, the aftermarket came through for me (with a price).

7) stock distributors. Although they will not fail to run, some have too much vacuum advance, and some have too much mechanical advance. They will take a 17 volt surge and not even hiccup, but unless you want to spend some bucks at a shop to have your blueprinted, you can't nail the timing down on these things unless you take it apart everytime.

this is still my favorite engine on earth, but it has made me suffer. More to come later, but I have class now. Happy St. Patrick's Day

Old 03-17-2003, 11:24 AM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
302 Bashfest '03

'fenders,

Yah see that? Not only are 302s girly, but they have a myriad of serious design flaws!

Humph!

Old 03-17-2003, 01:01 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
302 Bashfest '03

RMF

Ya, I saw that.

Torque King really has to read the new forum posting rules/amendments. Second violation in one day. Never admit your engine or IFS is inferior to someone elses. TK is the biggest 302 fanatic I know. I'll get him squared away.

Old 03-27-2003, 11:35 AM
mrak
Senior User
302 Bashfest '03

if y'all like doing burnouts, go down to your local tire place and make some buddies. Then get them to mount up old <a href="http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=37919709&siteid=39251846">tires </a>that still have a bit of tread that were getting ready to be thrown away or recycled or whatever. Go do burnouts then come back for a new set of old tires. I used to have a buddy back in highschool who worked at tireworld.

Originally posted by blitzkraig56
Rage

Hehe, smoke from exhaust....that was the previous engine. The smoke is actually half my tread disappearing within 5 minutes. You should see the tires, and I still have burnt rubber crap on the inside of my rear fenders from that day.....sigh....wish I could do it again

Fenders

I plan on running a roller block <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">302 </a>with a B303 cam, trickflow twisted wedge heads and intake, and a few other assorted goodies with the SEFI setup. And if I don't reach my 350HP goalwith that.....well there's always that oh so nice vortech supercharger that goes on the EFI setups so easily

Craig

Old 03-27-2003, 11:39 AM
blitzkraig56
Senior User
302 Bashfest '03

Damnit, now why didn't I ever think of that while working at a tire shop.....stupid stupid me

Old 03-27-2003, 01:09 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
302 Bashfest '03

YAWN!

Show me a fire breathin <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">302 </a>that can make decent torque at stump pulling rpm.
Or when the bed is carrying something more than a lawn chair and cooler.
Or towing something bigger than a canoe.

Now what I want to see to silence the girlies once and for all is a back to back pull between a <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">302 </a>and a 300 6 banger.

I got a case of Michelob on the 300. Then I'll put my 292 up against the 300; that might be interesting.

Now can we get back to real trucks puleeeze? Shoot, I could spin the rears with a 239 in my F350.

See what you done and started all over agin' Dewayne? Just as I was getting mellow.

Old 03-27-2003, 05:38 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
302 Bashfest '03

"Now what I want to see to silence the girlies once and for all is a back to back pull between a <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">302 </a>and a 300 6 banger."

Carl

Oh don't even go there!

I'll have to take some <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">351w </a>abuse from you guys but don't even go to 300 I-6 land. I do own both. My I-6 is injected, rock solid reliable and I can probably will it to my kids. It's a fine truck motor.

Having said that, my 53 with carbureted <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">302 </a>will chew up and spit out my 95 F150 with I-6. It's not even close.

Old 03-27-2003, 07:54 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
302 Bashfest '03

Anybody want to go to Iowa and explain the facts of life to a misinformed guy before he hurts himself?

Dewayne, I dont know whats in a 95 300 and how much the computer messes things around but it should still pull a <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">302 </a>spinning its wheels in vain.
Im talking PULLING here, not drag racing. Something you Iowa farm boys should know all about.

Old 03-27-2003, 08:08 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
302 Bashfest '03

OK Carl

I'll give you some of this. First, the 53 back <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">bumper</a> would rip off in 2 seconds and fly through the back window of the newer truck. You need to take a ride in a newer I-6. I have 92,000 miles of first hand experience. It is not too impressive. It will work like a mule all day at very low RPM. It has very poor acceleration and no it isn't broken. I pulled my 53 all the way from VA with the 95, I would hate to do it the other way around for reasons other than the motor but we aren't comparing trucks.

I am sure you are comparing it to your sister's stock 78 <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">302 </a>Fairmont which isn't what I have. I keep telling you people what a top notch engine builder I am but you just won't believe me yet. That's OK, we got time.

Old 03-27-2003, 09:05 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
302 Bashfest '03

Following this discussion like the smoke from 'fenders usually smoking places... I find my self back in Vermont. Summer. 1962. I’m arguing the merits of the Raven... a 54 Buick... two tons of rust held together with black paint powered by an "awesome v-8". On the other end of the argument is Hank from Connecticut and his 51 Chev convert with one of those "ubiquitous 283's". Heated words had deteriorated to the “pulling” each other level that Carl suggests. We did this in front of local girls... we were very impressive. Hank and I were from the “city”. This was also impressive. Hank was handsome and the girls all liked my vocabulary. We tore the <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">bumper</a>s off of both cars. Without <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">bumper</a>s we were forced to display our manliness by racing. Hank broke a motor mount as we raced across a rock strewn cow pasture. The Raven left a large portion of her sheetmetal there. Both cars were rendered unserviceable from that point on and parts of them probably still share that pasture with the Holsteins. Snapping back to the present.... I thought girly <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">302 </a>was official Ford nomenclature, like DeSoto’s Red Ram and Oldsmobile’s Rocket 88. My mistake.

Old 03-28-2003, 06:33 AM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
302 Bashfest '03

Himmelberg,

" I thought girly <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">302 </a>was official Ford nomenclature, like DeSoto’s Red Ram and Oldsmobile’s Rocket 88. "

You get 2 points for the above comment and 1 point for the old time story.

later,

Old 03-28-2003, 11:06 AM
41Clay
Elder User
302 Bashfest '03

Ha, anyone can burn out, even with a 1.5L Toyota. Now lets see you put on some slicks and put that front end in the air! My truck will naturally bow down to you then (as I have no slicks).

Ahh, and lets also see you have over 400lbs of tourque @ 2000rpm, and 350hp @ 5000rpm after your hot rodding fun. The <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">302 </a>is lighter, but your large imagination makes up the difference.

Heh heh, I'm just playing with you guys, I've never driven a 302, so I can't really make fun of you. But I have drven a 350 vortec, and chebby guys call those powereful? I still don't know why chebby guys eyes brighten when I mention that thing, it sucks.

When you make the pictures (they'll be "kool" anyways) I've heard the use of bleach enhances the smoke. Uh oh, did I give away your secret? But you should do it with and without, a kool pic and a real pic.

Clayton

ps, is it natural to shift into 2nd and 3rd while power stalling? Is that good for the tranny? I don't like it.

Old 03-28-2003, 05:31 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
302 Bashfest '03

OK, one last respoinse and then 'fenders folds.

Himmel

That was a very nice tale. Thanks for mentioning cows in it so I might comprehend it better. BTW, what kind of girls did you usually pick up with your strong vocabulary. The ones with great personalities I bet.

RMF

Shut Up!

Clayton

For those lacking sufficient torque, most any common lubricant would probably suffice. I use wheel bearing grease if I want some scratch from my 300 CI I-6.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 302 Bashfest '03