6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New PCM Recal. 11B23

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:51 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
well I tried to copy and past the pdf for you guys it wont let me. bahh I suck at this computer thing

Old 03-07-2011, 07:51 PM
jimd1050
Worry later? IT IS LATER!
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
If the Camper's a Rockin' then don't come a Knockin'!

Originally Posted by smotrs
Jim, your gonna have to change your avatar so it's not as dark, maybe off white.
Yeah but if I make the smoke too light, everyone will think that Patti and I are making it ROCK instead of the 6.4!!!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:52 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by jimd1050
Yeah but if I make the smoke too light, everyone will think that Patti and I are making it ROCk instead of the 6.4!!!
the only time I have ever seen a 6.4 run like that it burned up half the pistons

Old 03-07-2011, 08:17 PM
koboss1
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question, shouldn't the PCM already be looking for a lot of these things ? Like water in fuel or if there's to much oil? Like what's the engine light for is it gonna be that much smarter? Really, its called a idiot light for a reason. The only time its come on for me is when something done broke with no warning... Like the EGR valve. Or the coked up intake. I wonder if ford just doesn't want to mainly get all the trucks with the old programing. With the cleaning exhaust filter. Like mine, there may be a lot of good in it. I haven't read the letter yet but made me wonder when I read the first post. Not tryin to be negative. Please don't take it like that. Just puttin a spin on it
Thanks
Jim

Old 03-07-2011, 08:19 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
well I tried to copy and past the pdf for you guys it wont let me. bahh I suck at this computer thing
i have it up in # 6 of this thread.

Can you shed any light on this CSP?

Last edited by Tom; 03-07-2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: corrected post number
Old 03-07-2011, 08:22 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

as of right now I dont have any further then whats posted. however giving it a read it seems like you guy will get some good new stuff for this. this is simular to what the vxcf9 flash did for the 6.0.
I suspect they will be adding to the wrench light featurs as well as the check engine light.
I really want to know how they are going to figure out they have to much oil. hmmmm. maybe ill send a copy off to a friend at navastar.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:36 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

as of right now the tech have of the thing reads about the same. no list of exactly whats being done. if I find out more before you guy Ill post it up.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Hey guys,

First of all, a big thanks to Eric for posting about and Senix for attaching this information! I'm adding this to the tech folder...

Secondly, in the future I HIGHLY recommend exchanging email addresses via PM instead of posting them in an open forum. Anyone in the world can see this forum, and there are webcrawlers that search forums for people's email addresses to SPAM.

I have removed all posts with people's email addresses. Please do not post your email address and ask for the file, as Senix has already attached it in post 6 of this thread.

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Eric326
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my truck back earlier today, as expected no noticeable differences with the new flash but only drove about 5 miles. And as per Ford this flash "addresses" key issues that have been the big hitters for complete engine failures by simple things that could have been prevented. In regards to the post above that was intelligently questioning what this flash could really do based on a check engine light I think this programming has a greater focus on putting the vehicle into "reduced power mode" much earlier in the event the PCM detects tell-tale values across the board that indicate an issue. As we all know Ford has had numerous issues with water getting by the frame rail filter and the WIF light coming on after fuel had already entered the HPFS. Since the WIF sensor is mainly using a measure of resistance to tell when it is fuel vice water then it might be safe to say that Ford has simply set the mark more sensitive for the PCM monitoring the ohms.

The other truly big issue I saw was that they "say" they have addressed over-full oil condition detection. That honestly stumps me, but if I were to place bets, I'd say that a computer could calculate your level of oil by putting it through an algorithm given enough constants. Such as assuming you have 15W-40 and then the PCM measuring the time vs your oil temperature in relation to your coolant temp while taking into perspective the engine RPM's and ambient temperatures. Like said, it'd be a shot in the dark but I believe it "could" be possible for an engineer to create an formula for a computer to calculate a very rough quantity based on all the other information it is being fed. Frankly, I would very much relate it to the formulas that Ford has written for the 6.7's to calculate oil life.

All in all I'm hopeful Ford spent the time to create a quality flash that gets these trucks into limp mode sooner and alert the drivers of a potential problem before a major engine failure. And while I hope further technical data is released about this flash I hold doubts that solid answers will ever be available, in my time I've found it very dificult to get in touch with Ford software engineers who handle PCM software changes. I've had decent luck with the Ford and Internation techs, but usually they are only getting a trouble shooting data sheet from another group of people who wrote the software. Either way, I hope spreading the news about the update helps some people out. And, forgive any typos please, it's late.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Bounds-Electric
FORD USER

My dealer called me today about getting truck in for this! They look out for me.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
I am not in a hurry...wait and see how everyone else feels about It I think.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:00 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im with you Senix. I hate to give up my "cleaning exhaust filter" message so I would need convinced this flash has something more to offer.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 PM
teh4pwr
New User
I had the unfortunate opportunity to get the free 11B23 upgrade when I took my truck in yesterday. The tech left his on my dash board. I haven't driven it much but i will drive it 400 miles this weekend.

I hate it that I didn't get a choice.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:20 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

sadly if its under warranty and ford says it will save them money then opting not to do so can have a lighting effect of the wallet in days to come.
I havent seen it happen yet, yet

Old 03-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by teh4pwr
I had the unfortunate opportunity to get the free 11B23 upgrade when I took my truck in yesterday. The tech left his on my dash board. I haven't driven it much but i will drive it 400 miles this weekend.

I hate it that I didn't get a choice.

Look at it from the other perspective. Ford designed this software flash to prevent the occurrence of some catastrophic failures in an attempt to make the truck more reliable and cheaper to own.

Say you deny the flash and then blow up your engine in a circumstance this updated flash would have prevented. Why should Ford be on the hook for a new $15,000 engine job when their software should have prevented it?

If I were in charge at Ford, I would make this a requirement for further warranty work on the engine. They are making an effort to save your time and their money, as well as your money once the warranty period runs out. If you opt out the consequences shouldn't be on them.

Quick Reply: New PCM Recal. 11B23