Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Junior User

Chief409 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i had the update installed, but I have a question.

Shouldn't all the trip miliage settings, MPG, etc., reset to zero if it was installed. Mine didn't, I wrote them down to compare.

And to tell the truth, with a 2000 mile trip hauling the trailer starting this weekend, I'm not hot on the idea of new code being loaded just prior to leaving. I've been making my living in the computer field for 40 years, so unless there's no choice, I never would have gone in untill AFTER the trip for this update.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Elder User

sawtooth is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It would be nice if it fixed the " Trans Rev and Slam" thing that many of us are having. Mine hasn't done it in a while but i'm sure when i get in the right situation it will do it again.
Banks Ram Air Intake / Banks Charged Air Cooler
Airlift 5000 + 100% compressor + tank
Hellwig rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein shocks
Old 03-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Junior User

sdrono is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chief you are right mine were reset. I filled up today and after about 80 miles and put in 5.5 gallons. You can do the math. On the way home from filling up LOM indicated 16.0 mpg. Guys I have very seldom obtained that mpg on the way home on this jaunt. As to recommending not having it done my dealership didn't seem to have any problem with doing it. Seems they done several. If this mileage continues and there are no other issues I will save my bucks on tuner till out of warranty. I plan to take a short trip this weekend and will fill up after that and report my results.
2012 platinum white F350 Lariat CC 4wd DRW, 3:73, satellite radio w/ GPS, Ford molded mud flaps, DualLiner bed liner,Recon tailgate lights. (Our travel truck)

2007 white F250 Lariat EC 4wd 3.73 8.2 ft Boss VXT Snowplow (my work truck)
Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Senior User

RoadJunkie is starting off with a positive reputation.
I went in to have the flash done today but, after talking to the diesel service manager, we decided to wait. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" was his philosophy. He also indicated he had one truck owner that was complaining about poor fuel performance following the flash. Also, there is no going back!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrono View Post
Chief you are right mine were reset. I filled up today and after about 80 miles and put in 5.5 gallons. You can do the math. On the way home from filling up LOM indicated 16.0 mpg. Guys I have very seldom obtained that mpg on the way home on this jaunt. As to recommending not having it done my dealership didn't seem to have any problem with doing it. Seems they done several. If this mileage continues and there are no other issues I will save my bucks on tuner till out of warranty. I plan to take a short trip this weekend and will fill up after that and report my results.
Well, if they didn't do the flash correctly (or at all), when I get BACK from the trip the truck will be due for a 5k, and I'll have them check and re-flash the PCM then, if necessary. If the increased mileage is proven out, it'll be worth it.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Senior User

DynamoDale is starting off with a positive reputation.
I got it done today finally and seems like it has more power, Has anyone else noticed that or is it just me thinking it does.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Elder User

aquaman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I did mine last week and about 200miles ago. Most of my driving is 60/40 city/fwy. Compared to original flash, I first thought there was no difference, but as I'm driving the same 'usual routes' every day, I seem to notice:
- slightly higher boost on acceleration
- slightly lower steady state boost when cruising
- shifting seems a tad more refined...most notable is in 4th when the TC locks right around 35mph. It used to lurch a bit; now it's less obvious

Maybe it's all psychological... so it'll be interesting to hear what y'all are seeing...

I've been driving around with a near full DPF this whole time and I had an incomplete regen the other day, so I can't comment on mpgs yet since it's likely be be skewed because of it.

From reading other posts, it seems like the '08 guys are seeing the most improvement.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Elder User

bnmccoy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bnmccoy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
It would be nice if it fixed the " Trans Rev and Slam" thing that many of us are having. Mine hasn't done it in a while but i'm sure when i get in the right situation it will do it again.
My truck when new had an occassional 'slam' on the 2-3 shift; got the first flash following my complaining about the shifting; then it went to an occassional 'flair' on the 2-3 shift. Got my second flash which was the continual 'on' display of 'cleaning exhaust' message; and this flash did nothing to correct the occassional 'flair' on the shift.

Today I got the latest flash. Had a 20 mile interstate drive and looking for the improved mileage; I wasn't seeing it, maybe worse. About 5 miles from my destination the cruise control drops out and the dash alternates between displaying 'reduced engine power' and the wrench symbol.

I call the dealership, make arrangements to bring it in first thing in the morning. I had also been complaining about my very slow creep of coolant loss, they ask if I had low coolant, I say no, it looks as if they added some before I got the truck back; as I had looked prior to heading out of town on the interstate. (They say they found a small leak in lower right of radiator and $1,700 on my dime to replace, I had declined).

I get to my destination, open hood, no coolant issues. Turn truck off, then restart; wrench and message still there.

Hour later start truck to go eat dinner; wrench and message gone.

Not likely to be water in fuel; just changed fuel filters, transmission fluid, transmission internal filter, and oil & filter prior to taking truck in. I am at 59K miles.

The LOM was 12.n mpg when the reduced engine power message popped up. Interestingly when I started it to go eat dinner it was up to 16 mpg. I was still doing 60 mph on interstate with the reduced power; originally cruise control was set at 70 mph.

I am not staying at my primary home tonight so I don't have my scan tool and I haven't moved my autoenginuity over to this new laptop. I would sure like to know what code is set.

Guess I'll find out what the dealership says tomorrow; I did get a couple of pictures of the dash in case they think I'm blowing smoke and there is no code stored.

Bob
(traded the 06 w/ 45Kmi. 10/1/07)
(traded the 04 w/ 56Kmi. 3/25/06) N5BUJ
Old 03-31-2011, 05:05 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
When I had just bought my truck I had this 2-3 slamming. I had 600 miles on the truck. It would throw it in limp mode and the wrench light.

Bad TCM.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 03-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Elder User

bnmccoy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bnmccoy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Dealer called, apparently there was a code related to thermostat problem. I assume some difference between oil and coolant temperature but I actually only know they said thermostat problem. I can only hope that when they check the thermostats that they are hyper-extended; then as I understand the TSB for radiators the radiator replacement would be covered.

I know the technician did the previous test prior to the current measurement TSB where they compare oil and coolant temperature and there was no problem indicated. This was last year before they came out with the new TSB and to measure the thermostat with a rule......

My coolant temperature was about 12 o-clock when the reduced engine power message came on.

There was no message all the way to the dealer this morning; about 20 miles of interstate @ 70 MPH then 10 miles of urban driving.

I do think maybe the mileage is better when the RPM's are 2,000 and below; but, I don't see any difference at 2,250 RPM and 70 MPH with my 4.10 gears. This based on very short term experience and the message center mileage indication.

Bob
Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Elder User

The bypass thermostat was hyper-extended upon inspection; therefore my radiator is being covered under warranty.

I would say the new flash is better as it was capable of detecting the problem.

I am a happy camper. Truck was ready today; but, I had to be someplace else and could not pick it up. I will get it in the morning.

Bob
Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 PM
Postmaster

slowmans is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.slowmans is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
the 2-3 shift flare is part of the shift pattern , It will never be what you want it to be.It was designed to do that.
2010 F-350---2.5" Readylift,5100's, Dual 5100 Stab, Deleted,running IDP/Gearhead tunes. AFE PRO Stage II , 3" Intercooler pipe, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, RiffRaff Boots, 35" BFG's on 20" XD's-Burning Bio when I can!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:21 PM
Elder User

Well if it is part of the 'pattern' then one would think it would do it all the time not just every now and then, and maybe go a month w/o doing same?

Now if you meant to say it is part of the transmission adaptive learning strategy I might buy that as it has been posted that this might be what is happening by former Ford transmission engineer, IIRC.

The truck had no flare originally; it was an occassional slam. The torqshifts on my 04 and 06 never had this problem. Since the random problem changed after the first flash from a slam to a flare, I am inclined to believe it is related to the adaptive learning or at least the programming. I also believe finer tuning of the programming may correct same.

Bob
Old 03-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmccoy View Post
Well if it is part of the 'pattern' then one would think it would do it all the time not just every now and then, and maybe go a month w/o doing same?

Now if you meant to say it is part of the transmission adaptive learning strategy I might buy that as it has been posted that this might be what is happening by former Ford transmission engineer, IIRC.

The truck had no flare originally; it was an occassional slam. The torqshifts on my 04 and 06 never had this problem. Since the random problem changed after the first flash from a slam to a flare, I am inclined to believe it is related to the adaptive learning or at least the programming. I also believe finer tuning of the programming may correct same.

Bob
In your normal driving do you normaly use "Tow Haul". If you don't try that and see what happens. I had a problem with the jerk with my '08 F250 work truck and tried that. It worked for me. Also the '09 F350 and a '05 F250. It seems the truck needs to "learn" both modes.

2012 White F350 Lariat FX4, Crew Cab, long bed dually
50 gal Transfer Flow aux tank/tool box
Draw Tite Signature 18K hitch with the Ford 5th wheel prep kit
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE 5er
2010 White Ranger Extended Cab, long box 2X4, 4.0 with BakFlip cover
Old 04-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Postmaster

slowmans is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.slowmans is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My 06 did it too.... I don't know what to tell ya bud...... That's what I have been told by a few people and I believe it.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:19 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
11b23, 2009, 64, control, customer, duty, ford, module, pcm, powertrain, progam, program, recalibration, recall, satisfaction, super