Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Festus got a new truck - he named her ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:12 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Festus got a new truck - he named her ...

Ruthie!

Ruties's awesome, See tag for specs, below for details ...

The good ...
NO RUST!! ZERO!
Interior is clean.
The body is straight except some minor dings and scratches in the LF Fender and the LF bumper bracket is pulled. (i.e. bent)
6 new tires.
New oil cooler by Ford.
Hidden Ball.
138,??? miles.
Stainless wheel covers.
Rubber Bed matt.
Drop in Bed Linner.
Alpine CDM-9801 head unit.
Tinted Windows.

Don't get me wrong, she does have some health issues ...

First and formost the reason for the deal, someone tried to run something for fuel they should not have, I don't know what it is, it completely plugged the fuel system up to the filter on the motor. It also looks like the front tank was rigged to run veggie, Diesel in the rear.
The previous PO unhooked a perfectly good GPC and installed a switch on the dash between Headlights and Fuel Selector ... Fortunately they did not hack it in other then the hole in the bezel, they didn't do it correctly, they switched the 12v+ power versus ground ...
Unknown brand Spade type Glow Plugs, Fortunately they did NOT damage the factory bullet connectors, they made pig tails.
Drivers seat has one seam that is just starting to come apart.
The clear on the center console is pealing.
Two small cracks in the dash pad.
Instrument cluster Bezel screw tabs are broke.
Drivers door pocket screw tab broke.
Water leak on the drivers side, comes down the kick panel between E-Brake and door, I think from the cab lights.
It had a clothes hangar bar in the rear and the trim above the rear doors has two holes on each side.
Power Window clutches are slipping.
No tailgate, fortunately I have a brand new one, it was on my moms 96, she removed it 3 days after she bought the truck in 96 and installed a 5th wheel gate, it has been in storage at my dads place since 96, even the right color, white.

My temp resolution to get it to my fathers (about 300 miles) where I can deal with it proper was to bypass the fuel system tanks to filter.
This is how I did it ...
1) (30') of 5/16 Fuel hose.
2) (1) Mr. Gasket 12D Electrict Pump.
3) (2) 5 Gallon Jugs of Clean Diesel. One for a Fuel Tank, the other to fill the "Fuel tank" with when you run out ...
4) (18") of 16Ga wire.
5) (1) Inline 10 amp Fuse.
6) (1) New Fuel Filter.
7) (1) 1/4"NPT x 5/16"Barbbed Nipple.
8) (4) Hose Clamps.
9) Cut the Hose in half, take one half and cut about 3' off.
10) Remove the Fuel supply fitting from the filter head. (from lift pump to filter head at filter head)
11) Install Barbbed fitting in filter head supply port, connect 3' hose and clamp.
12) Connect the OUT port on Mr. Gasket 12D to the other end of the 3' hose and clamp.
13) Install the filter on the Mr. Gasket 12D and connect and clamp the 15' hose. (MARK THE OTHER END OF THIS HOSE about 3' from the end)
14) Remove the Fuel Return line from the Top Rear of the motor at the Tee.
15) Connect the remaining 12' hose to the Return Tee.
16) Open Passenger door and lift carpet from Firewall to floor, there is a body mount access plug, remove it CAREFULLY do not tear.
17) Now CAREFULLY route the TWO hoses (watch for hot and/or rotating parts) under the truck to the front right cab mount tower, there are already two holes that can be used to route the hoses into the cab. just let the 12D set on the Right Inner Fender, ground it under the starter relay.
18) Take one 5 gallon jug and carefully poke TWO holes just smaller then the O.D. of the fuel hose (carefull not to get chips in the jug), Squeeze each hose into holes, leaving the UNMARKED hose near the top of the jug and the MARKED hose to the bottom, V the end first if you choose, I didn't!
19) Connect the inline fuse to the red wire on the Mr. Gasket 12D, connect enough 18ga wire to reach the Injection pump Fuel Shutoff Solenoid(FSS) Connector.
20) Remove the FSS connector and CAREFULLY reinstall it with the 18ga wire between spade and connector. (Flatten the 18ga wire strands so not to distort the connector)
21) R&R Fuel Filter.
22) Bleed the system.
23) Enjoy the ride home!

Because this is technically illegal I put the jug on the rear floorboard versus in plain sight in the bed. (no tailgate)

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 02-28-2011, 05:28 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You forgot a few things Festus!

Is it 4x4?
Bench or buckets?
How much lower price did you pay than they asked?
Did you forget to drop it in my driveway?

Glad you finally found a decent one to to get started with.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
19) Connect the inline fuse to the red wire on the Mr. Gasket 12D, connect enough 18ga wire to reach the Injection pump Fuel Shutoff Solenoid(FSS) Connector.
20) Remove the FSS connector and CAREFULLY reinstall it with the 18ga wire between spade and connector. (Flatten the 18ga wire strands so not to distort the connector)

you may have wanted to just hook your pump up directly to the battery for this and just popped the hood to disconnect it.
running the pump directly off the FSS like that could have resulted in an electrical failure.
you can use the FSS to "open" or "trigger" a relay (this is what i did) so that power comes directly off the battery to the pump.but drawing power off the FSS like that,could have lead to a disaster.
anyway,
great sounding truck! can't wait for pics!
so you didn't need a 4x4 Festus? i take it your plan is to keep this one off the salt winter roads anyway uh?

Old 02-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Austin26372
Senior User
24) post tons of pics!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:04 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats Festus!

Hope you have good luck with 'er!

PICS!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:10 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Austin26372
24) post tons of pics!
Yes! We demand to see pictures of Ruthie!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
what, are you a ?? we dont wanna see posts without pics!!

Old 03-01-2011, 03:33 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Originally Posted by mistakenID
You forgot a few things Festus!
Is it 4x4?
Bench or buckets?
How much lower price did you pay than they asked?
Did you forget to drop it in my driveway?
Buckets.
Not as much as I tried, but I got it cheap.

Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
you may have wanted to just hook your pump up directly to the battery for this and just popped the hood to disconnect it.

running the pump directly off the FSS like that could have resulted in an electrical failure.

you can use the FSS to "open" or "trigger" a relay (this is what i did) so that power comes directly off the battery to the pump.but drawing power off the FSS like that,could have lead to a disaster.

anyway,

great sounding truck! can't wait for pics!

so you didn't need a 4x4 Festus? i take it your plan is to keep this one off the salt winter roads anyway uh?
Didn't want 4x4 on this truck, Yup, it will stay off the salty roads for the most part.

As for powering the 12D off the IP power ... No Problem, the 12D uses very little power, Yes, If I was planning on leaving the electric on there I would relay it, but for the purpose it was done is not a problem. I didn't want to pop the hood every 120 miles when stopping to fill the 5ers. Gotta remember I was at the sellers place and I wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible not letting him know how simple a fix it is/was so he didn't feel ripped off! I suspect he still does, I had it running in less then 10 minutes on a jug ... I did buy it before seeing it run because I knew exactly what was wrong with it within a couple minutes after arivial, I was dead on!

Yup, I'll be posting images soon, I'm pretty busy trying to get it ready for the trip back and cleaning and re-organizing dads shop so he can get in here in his wheelchair and tinker with his Helicopter and Dune Buggy, he has not been able to get in his shop for almost two years, what a shame, it's a gear heads dream shop! Pops is a paralyzed vet injured in the Korean war.

-Enjoy

Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like a nice truck, POST SOME PICS!!!!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:30 AM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
thats it, i dont believe he really got a new truck hahaha

Old 03-04-2011, 05:54 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Geezum Crow peoples ... won't even wait for me to spiffy her up a bit before showing her off ...

Well ... Here!

Earlier she was made at me cause I didn't give her a nice shiny new lift pump, so she started bucking and kicking, left me stranded the B ... New lift pump and pre filter, now she's some kind of happy!

I cannot belive the difference the Turbo makes, my N/A's don't have half the nut she's got.

-Enjoy

Old 03-04-2011, 06:06 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
"I cannot belive the difference the Turbo makes, my N/A's don't have half the nut she's got."

Wait till you get a load on her and pull a good sized hill. On my first 86' an ATS turbo and exhaust plus injection pump rebuild netted a 42 mph increase in speed on the same hill with the same load and 18 mpg. Truck was a super cab, 4x4, 4sp, 3:54 gears, stock tire size.

The first time I pulled a good hill, loaded, I was so pissed I swore I was going to get back home and get rid of the truck. Loaded semi's were passing and complaining on the cb about the $%^&# tourist getting in the way. Turbo was on before the end of that summer.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:20 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice truck dude, no rust and everything. What kinda turbo do you have on her?

Old 03-04-2011, 01:16 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can just catch a glimpse of the air box under the hood, so I'm going to guess its either an 093 ATS or a factory turbo (which is essentially identical other than the downpipe).

Great looking dreadnought there!

Old 03-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
It's factory, VIN 8th digit is "K".

-Enjoy

Quick Reply: Festus got a new truck - he named her ...