1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Weekend IFS swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:28 PM
dmejack
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekend IFS swap

I did my swap this weekend on the front of my 63 F100. I put the front suspension out of an 05 Crown Victoria in it and I must say that I am quite impressed with how everything lines up. I have helped people using a Mustang II kit and this went way easier and looks sturdier. The truck now sits the exact distance off the ground that many people have mentioned. It is 28 inches from the floor to the bottom of the lip on the fender. I still have to box the frame and make my trailing arm brackets.

My engine is now completely together. I am putting a 5.0 L EFI in. I have the computer and wiring harness ready as well. I am just waiting for the AOD transmission to show up so I can get everything in.

I am going to work at prepping the firewall and inner fenders tomorrow for paint. I am planning on painting them body color. I know that the original firewall is body color. I am not sure about the inner fenders. They definitely were not body color before. Does anyone know what color the inner fenders were when they came from the factory.

I forgot to get the steering coupling and shaft from the CV so now I am looking for one of those. I also have a steering column out of a Dart that I am using as i am converting the truck to automatic. The Dart column has the gear indicator on the column which will work quite nicely.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on dropping the back without notching the frame. I cannot flip the axle as that would bring it down to far. I only want to come down 4-5 inches in the rear. The truck currently has 7 leafs in the springs. I will be taking 3 of these out but not sure how much it will drop the truck as there is not much arch left to them.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can flip your front mounting bracket.

There are pics online here of how people did it.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:56 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust
You can flip your front mounting bracket.

There are pics online here of how people did it.

i have seen that as well, looks real clean done that way.

use a shackle kit to lower the back more.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:45 PM
dmejack
New User
Pics of swap work so far

Picture of the truck before work was started

Front clip removed

Engine removed

Front suspension set in. Boxing in and trailing arm brackets will get done when I get home from vacation

Another picture of front suspension

Close up of where it mounts

Fire wall cleaned up

front clip set back on to check out ride height in front. It needs to come down 5 inches in the rear

Old 03-14-2011, 04:18 PM
oldfordcoupe
More Turbo
my truck rides better than a lot of cars
+ it goes around a curve or corner like a sports car i love it

Old 03-26-2011, 10:19 AM
dmejack
New User
Update on work with pictures

I got another chance to work on my truck yesterday. Things are going slow as I only get a day a week on average to work on it. I thought I would share some pictures of the work done yesterday.

Here is a picture of the passenger side frame boxed in. Before the frame was boxed in the spacers in the frame were welded in place. The spacers on top of the frame have been welded as well.

Drivers side frame boxed in and steering hooked up. I used the steering column out of a 67 dart. When I cut the steering column off of the dart I found the middle to be hollow. That worked awesome as I took the connector from the CV steering and fit it into the dart column and then welded it in place. Still need to make a plate to cover where the hole where the steering comes through the fire wall and weld in a panel where the old steering came through the toe boards

Trailing arm bracket on the outside of frame welded on. The other side looks the same. I still need to drill out two more holes in each of these brackets and put bolts in. I am going to be using 7/16 grade 8 bolts in these brackets.

Trailing arm bracket on inside of frame. Identical on the other side.

Motor and transmission bolted together to be fit in truck. I still need to paint transmission and put new valve covers on.

This week coming I am hoping to get the frame painted, firewall primed, motor mounts and transmission mount done. I am also hoping to get the rear end stripped and ready to go in. I also soon need to decide what I am using for a brake booster.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:19 AM
693standby
Freshman User
Looking good, im going to do a similar swap later this summer its nice to have an idea of what she'll look like.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:57 AM
oldfordcoupe
More Turbo
looks good so far. i cut and used the oriq. cv motor mount an made it work to the oriq. eng. mount that i was using it worked out real good . then i had to fab a seperate mount for the clutch bar but it all came out good

Old 04-11-2011, 08:27 PM
deflaytedwayz
Junior User
Looks good! Some more photos saved for my swap.