Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Traction control override???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 04:34 PM
-Jim G
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Traction control override???

When we recovered my wife's little boat at a shallow sand ramp, the Hybrid Escape would not come off of idle and pull the boat put of the water.

In order to get the trailer deep enough to get the boat, I had to back the Escape until all four tires were wet. I winched the boat onto the trailer. When I stepped on the gas pedal the engine just sat there in idle - even when the pedal was fully depressed.

I backed the Escape an inch deeper into the lake and then put it back into drive and made a little progress. I repeated the rocking (reverse to drive) and the engine came alive and easily pulled the boat out.

I am wondering if there is a way of turning off the traction control system for times like that? Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 03-06-2011, 06:39 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The traction control system that uses the ABS, wheel speed sensors, etc. wasn't used in the Escape until the 2009MY.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:24 AM
-Jim G
Senior User
Originally Posted by wptski
The traction control system that uses the ABS, wheel speed sensors, etc. wasn't used in the Escape until the 2009MY.
If it isn't traction control, then I wonder what it was that prevented the engine from revving and yanking me out of that lake? It was pretty unnerving to have it just idling when I had my foot to the floor. I tried several times before I finally woke it by rocking.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? It has me concerned that this might not be the vehicle that I need to launch the boat. The boat is an aluminum 1962 Lund runabout with a 50 hp motor - it is pretty lightweight.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by -Jim G
If it isn't traction control, then I wonder what it was that prevented the engine from revving and yanking me out of that lake? It was pretty unnerving to have it just idling when I had my foot to the floor. I tried several times before I finally woke it by rocking.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? It has me concerned that this might not be the vehicle that I need to launch the boat. The boat is an aluminum 1962 Lund runabout with a 50 hp motor - it is pretty lightweight.
Not sure but you may have better luck getting an answer about a Hybrid by posting it at Ford Escape Hybrid - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:35 PM
-Jim G
Senior User
Thanks

Originally Posted by wptski
Not sure but you may have better luck getting an answer about a Hybrid by posting it at Ford Escape Hybrid - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars.
Thanks Bill, I will try that.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:26 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by -Jim G
Thanks Bill, I will try that.
There happens to be a somewhat similiar post there right now: 2008 FEH Transmission acting strange - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:32 PM
-Jim G
Senior User
I got my answer at the GreenHybrid forum, but since I raised the issue here I thought that I should follow up for FEH owners that might be interested.

It seems that the FEH is equipped with a 'stall sensor' that protects the electric motor from overheating in a stalled (stopped) condition. This is a feature that FEH ought to know about before they find themselves freaked out like I was.

You can read about it here: GreenHybrid - Idle threat on a boat ramp