Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks > 1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2011, 02:31 PM
New User

63 styleside is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question different 63 body styles?????

i have a 63 f100 and was just wondering if it was true that halfway through 1963 ford discontinued the unibody and actually started putting on the older 57+ stylesides if anyone knows the history that would be great. thank you
Old 03-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Post Fiend

garbz2 has a great reputation on FTE.garbz2 has a great reputation on FTE.garbz2 has a great reputation on FTE.garbz2 has a great reputation on FTE.garbz2 has a great reputation on FTE.garbz2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Yes the uni was canceled as it was an engineering failure of huge magnitutde, The Edsel of the truck world.

57 to 60 beds were started for use mid to late 62.

Garbz
Old 03-05-2011, 03:22 PM
New User

63 styleside is starting off with a positive reputation.
perfect thanks a lot. because i have owned it for about 6 months now and get a lot of looks. just kept hearing the question "is that an older bed you got on it?" and just was not sure
Old 03-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbz2 View Post
Yes the uni was canceled as it was an engineering failure of huge magnitutde, The Edsel of the truck world.

57 to 60 beds were started for use mid to late 62.

Garbz
Wow Garbz!! An Edsel looks like a 2 ton vagina coming at you. There ain't nothing about my Uni that even slightly resembles an Edsel.

Please tell me it ain't so!!!

Click the image to open in full size.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 03-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Post Fiend

jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn jowilker
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic y block View Post
Wow Garbz!! An Edsel looks like a 2 ton vagina coming at you. There ain't nothing about my Uni that even slightly resembles an Edsel.
Yup, The UNI was considered a REAL POS FAILURE. I think it's funny to see how sought after it is today.

John
Old 03-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Freshman User

Carefree T is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:

You beat me to it! The Edsel failed because it had a lady-garden on the front, not because of bad engineering. Or that's the reason I'd always been given.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
The Uni is a work of art. No one has done anything to compare to it. The Camino is way cool for a ch!!y. But it is no Uni. El Camino, Ranchero, They are cars like the Edsel. My Uni is all truck. Hey John? It's my birthday today so no I aint gonna play. Okay.

A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 03-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Posting Guru

Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.
happy birthday then hope it was a good one.
2001 Ford 4x4 Explorer Sport Trac (nice but sucks on MPG its underpowered)

Vic by the way.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Old School

Yee Haaw. Ya girl friend came back for a week and is fixing an awesome BBQ dinner. Friends are coming over to eat it. And get loose. Hell anything could happen. Sept I got two young boys that got school tomorrow and that kinda puts a hamper on getting to happy. But there is talk of a game of strip poker after the kids are asleep.

Oh Ya this is a Ford site. FE's forever and all that

Old 03-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Post Fiend

garbz2 has a great reputation on FTE.garbz2 has a great reputation on FTE.garbz2 has a great reputation on FTE.garbz2 has a great reputation on FTE.garbz2 has a great reputation on FTE.garbz2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
The Uni is a work of art. No one has done anything to compare to it. The Camino is way cool for a ch!!y. But it is no Uni. El Camino, Ranchero, They are cars like the Edsel. My Uni is all truck. Hey John? It's my birthday today so no I aint gonna play. Okay.
I will play,

Your uni is the same peice of engineering crap i have and love.......

Garbz
Old 03-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Old School

Now I see several one piece bodied new pickup looking things running around. So the Uni is coming back.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Postmaster

first today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant future
Isn't the bronco a uni?

Old 03-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Old School

Ya a Bronco would work.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:26 AM
Posting Guru

jhooch is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree T View Post
You beat me to it! The Edsel failed because it had a lady-garden on the front, not because of bad engineering. Or that's the reason I'd always been given.
The Edsel failed because it was launched during a recession and nobody was sure if it was an upscale Ford or a downscale Mercury. Nothing wrong with the car save for it's looks which were a touch controversial. But so were a lot of cars in those years. The Edsel looked very similar to a Pontiac. The more I hear and research about Edsels the more I want one. Why does it always work like that? As far as the Uni, i own a '62 and love it, it's like a Ranchero on steroids!
69 Cobra 428CJ, 4-speed, 64 Fairlane 2dr Post
See my other projects at: www.fullsizeford.com
Old 03-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Elder User

shortwide is starting off with a positive reputation.
There's a vintage truck advertisement on YouTube that shows the Fords vs the Chevs of the early 60's (prior to the twin-I-Beams) going head to head.

They jack up a Unibody and the dern thing flexes so bad that they can't shut the door.

There's no doubt that they had some serious issues, but that having been said, they are cool looking and I guess if they're not used as hardcore workhorses, they're probably fine.

I cringe when I think back to the 80's when my dad and I bought one and made a 1/4 mile drag car out of it. It was a very solid, rust-free truck that I remember us paying something like $300 for. We loaded it full of big-block, put a shortened rearend under it, tubbed it, and went racing.

Of course, after the first race, we realized we had big problems with body flex and had to stiffen the chassis quite a bit. We played with it for one racing season, then someone wanted the engine/trans combo, so we pulled it and the thing sat on a friend's farm for a while until I went off to the military. I don't know what became of it after that.

Anyway....a link to that youtube video is below. If it doesn't work, go to youtube and type in " ford vs chevy 60s truck comparison" It's VERY entertaining....the guys do some really cool/dangerous comparison tests....stuff they would never get away with today in the pansy world we live in.

YouTube - Chevy vs. Ford 60's Truck Comparison
Old 03-09-2011, 07:55 AM