Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Senior User

toolman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stock Oil Cooler - Lightning

Hey gang,

I have a '90 Bronco with a 1st Gen Lightning engine. Recently the lower radiator hose started to leak on the oil cooler end of the hose. I'm seriously cash poor at the moment, and not really in a position to spend $85 on a new one so I was looking at alternatives like routing the cooler lines to a behind the grill cooler. While searching, the only real relevant post I found was one where someone said just delete the cooler altogether. This seems reasonable since there are litterally millions of 5.8's out there without the little oil cooler, but I thought I'd ask here in case there was something specific to the Lightning mill that mandated the cooler. Alternatively, would it be better to go to a behind the grill cooler ? I'm not racing it, nor am I doing a lot of low speed high rpm off roading at the moment.

Thanks !!

-Scott
Old 03-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Post Fiend

phil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant futurephil6608 has a brilliant future
I'm not to familiar with the gen 1 motors. But I put a gen 2 motor in my truck and they came stock with the oil cooler. I never put one on my truck and have never had a problem.
Join the the Delaware Chapter, HERE
Old 03-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Senior User

toolman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey thanks for the reply. I would think a Gen II would be more in need of an oil cooler than a Gen I. I think maybe I'll just delete it for the time being and maybe revisit it later this year.

Thanks again !

-Scott
Old 03-05-2011, 02:55 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150

Tags
1999, 38, 58, cooler, engine, failure, fittins, ford, lighting, lightning, oil, painting, radiator, routing, stock