EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

My ecoboost drive experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 04:20 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox
Why are we knocking the 6.2? Is it because it is a beast with 400+ HP/400+ T and is getting all kinds of great reviews in the 250/350 SD? I guess that warrants slamming it.

Funny how Ford does not offer the Ecoboost in the 250/350 SD.

Guys, they are all great engines at the end of the day....and they all will burn alot of fuel...

No one here is really knocking the very capable 6.2L. I was simply repeating what the Ford rep said. Quite frankly, all the NA engines are old news compared to the ecoboost program.

IMHO, if a 3.5L EB engine puts out similar numbers to a large displacement V-8 and gets superior MPG's empty, then that is reason to consider the 6.2 and 5.0 engines obsolete.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny how Ford does not offer the Ecoboost in the 250/350 SD.
Ford also doesn't offer it in the Expedition. But that doesn't mean they won't. Car companies never roll everything out at once. I bet we will see some sort of EcoBoost in the Super Duty.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Arctic Fox
Senior User
Fair enough Tim.

I just get a little sensitive as I am about to receive my 6.2L order in a few weeks.

However, I really do believe that if the 6.2L was more readily available in more "affordable" F150 packages rather than just the higher end Lariat+, then more people would be excited about the 6.2L. You can't tell me that not more people would be going for the 6.2L rather than the 5.0L or Ecoboost if it was offered over the XLT, FX4, etc line.

BTW, I really do think the 6.2L and the Ecoboost will deliver the same gas mileage especially when towing heavy loads...In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the 6.2l does better.

Does anybody have real world info on this? Who has been towing hard with the Ecoboost so far? Real world experience would be very interesting.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:34 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Fair enough Tim.

I just get a little sensitive as I am about to receive my 6.2L order in a few weeks.

However, I really do believe that if the 6.2L was more readily available in more "affordable" F150 packages rather than just the higher end Lariat+, then more people would be excited about the 6.2L. You can't tell me that not more people would be going for the 6.2L rather than the 5.0L or Ecoboost if it was offered over the XLT, FX4, etc line.

BTW, I really do think the 6.2L and the Ecoboost will deliver the same gas mileage especially when towing heavy loads...In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the 6.2l does better.

Does anybody have real world info on this? Who has been towing hard with the Ecoboost so far? Real world experience would be very interesting.

The last thing in the world that I would ever intentionally do is to insult or otherwise down grade a man's truck or his choice of engines / options. I sincerely apologize if I've done that sir.

The 6.2L has brought the SD back up to speed and has invigorated the F-150 trim levels that will be lucky enough to receive it.

It is my further opinion that Ford did rush this engine. They had to answer GM's 6.2L, 6.0L, Toyota and Dodge 5.7's. The 6.2 will compete very well. But, another year of development and a subsequent 6.2L 4V engine would have been the better choice, IMHO.

I know your going to love your new rig and I can't wait to read your report on power and economy.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:58 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Fair enough Tim.

It is still kind of early to have enough 6.2 and ecoboost's out their towing but with the flat torque curve of the ecoboost you will see it beat the 6.2 both loaded and unloaded. Also having direct injection gives the ecoboost an advantage in hills and mountains.

Here is a thread with some numbers for the ecoboost towing PickupTrucks.com Forums: Ecoboost Towing Numbers

Old 03-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins

This is simply a prelude to bigger an better things from Ford, you all watch and see. The 6.2L is a bandaide.
Exactly.
JL

Old 03-13-2011, 01:14 PM
savage250
Tuned
I agree with Artic Fox, if the 6.2 was available in the FX4, I would have seriously considered it. I ordered the EB, and I'm very excited for my truck to get here...and I think it is a great engine...but so is the 6.2. I drive an 08 F250 with the 5.4 now, so I can't imagine either of those engines getting worse mileage than my SD...so anything is an upgrade there.

I do find it funny how people are up in arms over 1mpg here or there...in my books, if a full size 4x4 is getting better than 16MPG on the highway (normal driving, 70-75mph)...it's fine.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
@Savage, for each 1mpg, you gain an additional 25 miles on every tank. I don't that's anything to sneeze at. Especially when you get an increase of 2mpg or more. The EB should be 4-5mpg better than the 6.2. Or 100-125 more miles per 25 gallon tank. I'll take as many extra free miles that I can get.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:00 PM
akalogan
Senior User
Hey Tim I just thought of something, when you did your test drive of the eco boost. What did you think of the rep that Ford sent. Was he truly a "truck" guy or was he basically a talking monkey Ford paid to talk "great things about a great truck!" My wife thinks we are all bonkers about how passionate we get over our trucks, down to the finest detail. That is the guy I want Ford sending us. Much better then a talking monkey (if he was a talking monkey did he at least fling poo at chevies?)

Old 03-17-2011, 08:20 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by akalogan
Hey Tim I just thought of something, when you did your test drive of the eco boost. What did you think of the rep that Ford sent. Was he truly a "truck" guy or was he basically a talking monkey Ford paid to talk "great things about a great truck!" My wife thinks we are all bonkers about how passionate we get over our trucks, down to the finest detail. That is the guy I want Ford sending us. Much better then a talking monkey (if he was a talking monkey did he at least fling poo at chevies?)
That's funny right there. I'll start with this.

My first question to him was: "are you Ford engineer?" His answer was: "I have an engineering degree." This made me a little uneasy at first as he said he had nothing to do with Ecoboost development or the F-150 program.

My next comment was: "then why are you here?" His reply: "because I want to be here."

So, he answered all of my questions and offered very good conversation to all of my talking points. Yes, I made a list of questions and comments before he showed up to maximize the hour that I had.

He turned out to be a great guy with a fantastic personality. He was very patient and understanding of my wants and needs concerning the drive. He was ultra polite and extremely accommodating. Likewise, it was very clear that he was tired and burned out. He had been on the road for many weeks entertaining people like us. He did thank me for my well thought out and challenging questions / comments. Much of my format was taken from comments right here.

So in a sentence, he was a perfect rep / host for Ford.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:25 PM
akalogan
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
That's funny right there. I'll start with this.

My first question to him was: "are you Ford engineer?" His answer was: "I have an engineering degree." This made me a little uneasy at first as he said he had nothing to do with Ecoboost development or the F-150 program.

My next comment was: "then why are you here?" His reply: "because I want to be here."

So, he answered all of my questions and offered very good conversation to all of my talking points. Yes, I made a list of questions and comments before he showed up to maximize the hour that I had.

He turned out to be a great guy with a fantastic personality. He was very patient and understanding of my wants and needs concerning the drive. He was ultra polite and extremely accommodating. Likewise, it was very clear that he was tired and burned out. He had been on the road for many weeks entertaining people like us. He did thank me for my well thought out and challenging questions / comments. Much of my format was taken from comments right here.

So in a sentence, he was a perfect rep / host for Ford.

Thank you Sir, that is oddly enough important to me. Not he is an engineer, but that you found him to be passionate about trucks. Glad he toed the line (it really would have been cool if he flung poo at chevies though)

Old 03-17-2011, 08:33 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by akalogan
Thank you Sir, that is oddly enough important to me. Not he is an engineer, but that you found him to be passionate about trucks. Glad he toed the line (it really would have been cool if he flung poo at chevies though)
I think out of respect for the other car makers, we didn't poke jabs at any other trucks. Hell, when your riding in the best, why gloat?