1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

2004 E350 is difficult to fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:18 PM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E350 is difficult to fuel

This big boy has no problem using gasoline. Getting gas into the tank is a different story. Fuel has to be trickled in. Happens at all gas stations. The load in the van is level. Any trick to check or clear what appears to be a venting issue? Takes a loooong time to pump 25+ gallons.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Dago Red
Freshman User
I don't know a fix, but I know that I sometimes have this problem in my trailblazer, what I do is with one hand I pull the sleeve/shield on the nozzle all the way back, just stick the tip in, and usually this will let me pump full speed. I still have to hold it which is a hassle, but I can at least pump it in fast.

Red

Old 03-03-2011, 02:08 PM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Thanks Red. I'll give it a try. The difference with your Trailblazer is that you said it happens sometimes. I bought the E350 in July and don't remember the problem with the first fill-up. Every fill-up since has been a hassle. Makes me think there is a problem with the load in the cargo area. Ever notice the problem appearing with a lot (or lack) of weight in the vehicle?

Old 03-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Dago Red
Freshman User
I don't think it is a vehicle problem. I had it hapepn again today, I'd say out of the last 6 fill ups it's happened 3 maybe 4 times, I usually go to cheaper gas stations, i.e. arco, velero. I know I've been told before that because CA has the vapor recovery setups they sometimes are too sensitive, or are not maintained properly and can cause this. I don't know if that is the case but would no be surprised. I've have googled to no end and not found any indication that vehicles can be the cause of this. Everything says try nozzle in less, in more, angle this way, squeeze only half way etc. I've tried all that, been pumping gas almost 20 years, it isn't my technique and it's a pain in the ***.

anyways, I'm still looking but am thinking it is bad pumps and with the gas prices rising people are trying to fill up often to be just ahead of the next increase.

Red

Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
I've done the exhaustive search as well. Results range from spiders in the vent to evap cannister blockage to bad vent solenoid valves as causes. One interesting solution ( I believe it was Ford specific) was to cycle the ignition on and off (or leave "on") to mechanically vent the tank. The only sure thing about the problem is the pain in the *** it brings. On that we all agree.

Not sure about the StageII gas pumps being the problem. Although I would love to blame 'em, I never have had problems with my Aerostar or Expedition at the same pumps.

Thanks again Red

Old 03-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Travelin'Jones
Freshman User
My 2005 E350 6.0 PSD has the exact same problem. The first portion of the fill-up goes quickly, but that last 7-8 gallons is like watching paint dry. You have to set the nozzle at its slowest trickle or fuel will run out the top of the filler neck. You can hear everything in the world except grease frying and money rattling, but someone said that it's because the vent tube that goes down inside the tank is too long. If we remove the tank and pull the vent hose out and cut it off just below the top level of the tank, then, we can fill up at a fast rate with the exception of just the little bit of hose we leave below the top of the tank.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:31 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
The vent hose being too long makes sense to me.

I wish we were talking about the same condition though. I would be extremely happy if it were only the last 7 gallons that were slow. The pumping problem starts with the first gallon. It happens with every fill-up. At every station. With the pump handle at any angle. With the pump nozzle inserted completely or partially. With any degree of pump trigger pull.

It is entertaining, at least, to watch the patience drain out of the unwitting schnook who pulls up to the pump behind my weekly refueling adventure.

Good thing I otherwise love this truck.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:05 AM
DOE-SST
New User
On the fuel tank of my 1993-94 E350 diesels, there is a rollover valve in the top of the fuel tank. A small amount of crud or corrosion will prevent fuel from pushing this valve open, and make fueling a 30 minute job.

The tank has a metal pipe welded to the top for receiving fuel, and the pipe is connected to the filler port on the side of the van, by a rubber hose.

The metal pipe has a metal disc inside, that is held up by a weak spring. Normally, this disc is held against a seat and closes off the pipe, so fuel doesn't leak out after a rollover crash. During fueling, the weight of the incoming fuel is enough to compress the spring, and allow fuel to enter the tank via holes in the sides of the pipe. These holes are uncovered when the spring is compressed, and there are screens over the holes.

This setup also prevents someone from siphoning fuel, or dropping objects into your tank.

Here is a pic looking through the sender hole, atop the fuel tank. The angled pipe is the filler pipe. The small dark rectangles on the lower part of the pipe are the screens covering the holes in the side of the pipe. These are the holes that allow fuel into the tank. Fuel does not exit from the very end of the pipe. The spring occupies the lower end of this pipe and keeps the disc pressed on a seat, located above the screens. Notice the bacteria. Lots of fun cleaning that up.

To fix this valve, you may try inserting a 4ft flexible shaft down into the tank, and pushing on it numerous times to loosen any crud. In my case, the van had sat for a year and grown a huge amount of bacteria, that glued the valve shut, and I had to drop the tank to free up the valve.

I have to add, this valve may be a one-of-a-kind mod, done only to my van's fuel system. My vans are former U.S.Govt Urban Assault Vehicles, that had about $100,000 in mods done to them.

The later 1990s diesels had a rubber hose inside the filler pipe that allowed the tank to vent air as it received fuel. Lots of problems with this design, and the guys on Oilburners have devised solutions.

hope this helps

Last edited by DOE-SST; 03-08-2011 at 03:29 AM. Reason: pic added
Old 03-08-2011, 04:17 PM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
I definitely will try snaking a fiberglass rod down the filler neck. It's an easy enough attempt and it would be great if takes care of the problem. Thanks for the reply and pic.

Now, how do I fix a sudden case of "former US Gov't Urban Assault Vehicle" envy?

Old 03-08-2011, 11:41 PM
DOE-SST
New User
Well,

They DID take out the rifles and grenade launchers, and the night vision equipment, and some of the comm gear. But that stuff can be replaced, and there are still a lot of other fun mods.

One will be up for sale in a few months, unless my friend manages to come up with the cash he's been promising.

If ya want a BOV, these are hard to beat. I have to refrain from pics for now, until I actually decide to sell one. I have one doing long-term surveillance work locally. From the outside, they look just like a normal E350, unless ya look real close.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:07 AM
DOE-SST
New User
I don't know if a fiberglass rod will be flexible enough, especially to work through the 90 degree bend inside the tank.

If your van is like mine (1994 E350 IDI diesel), it may be easier to remove the two hose clamps, and remove the rubber hose connecting the tank to the filler pipe.

Here's my fuel tank, with the larger fuel pipe and smaller vent pipe.

Here's my filler pipe and rubber hose that connects to the tank.

A piece of flexible aluminum conduit, used to protect electrical wires, may work if the fiberglass doesn't.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:57 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
The pics help an awful lot. A quick look makes me think I've got an under sized filler tube because what is there appears small by comparison to the photo. Probably my imagination. Still, something is restricting fuel flow, ventilation or both.

Thanks again for all the information and advice.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Rick1025
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Im not sure,but it seems there was a thread somewhere about this.It seems to me the problem was a foam filter on the vent line in the tank or a small hole in the vent line at the top of the tank.It seems to me the remedy was to drill a larger hole in the vent tube in the top of the tank to let the vapor escape faster.The pump assy needs to be pulled to do the job.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:32 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
I'll be damned. Problem with refueling disappeared as sudden as it appeared. About 6 months now of gas and go without inverting the pump handle, semi-inserting the nozzle, half-speed trigger pull, 15+ minute fill-ups etc. Even works with pump on automatic.

Had to be a very minor vent clog that worked itself free. Sure glad I didn't get aggressive snaking it out and creating who-knows-what kind of further issues. Best shade tree mechanic job I ever pulled off.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Dago Red
Freshman User
Well I still have a problem fueling quite frequently, but I'm more interested in seeing pics of the badass van and finding out about where they can be found. too cool.

Red

Quick Reply: 2004 E350 is difficult to fuel