EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

real world mpg in ecoboost 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:02 AM
J.Shoot
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mileage...

Ok, filled up again, this tank was 18.55, figured by hand. This is driving it nice. Not hitting the throttle to hard. Keeping it below 70 (around 65 actually). about 60% hiway and 40% city. This is my 2nd tank in the 18 - 18 1/2 range. I think my truck will do this easily. It is a 4x4 with 3.73 gears.

Just thought I would keep everyone posted.

J.Shoot

Old 05-04-2011, 12:40 PM
drh1175
Senior User
Empty I have been getting around 18.5mpg. I only have 750 miles on her though. The book states not to even check mileage until after 3000 miles as the engine is programed to run rich. I towed my 2000# Lund Explorer for the first time this last weekend about 15 miles. The lie or meter said just a shade of 12 mpg on the highway.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by drh1175
The book states not to even check mileage until after 3000 miles as the engine is programed to run rich.
The Manual says the following:
Originally Posted by FOMOCO Owner's Manual
Your best source of information about actual fuel economy is you, the
driver. You must gather information as accurately and consistently as
possible. Fuel expense, frequency of fill-ups or fuel gauge readings are
NOT accurate as a measure of fuel economy. We do not recommend
taking fuel economy measurements during the first 1,000 miles
(1,600 km) of driving (engine break-in period). You will get a more
accurate measurement after 2,000 miles–3,000 miles (3,000 km–5,000
km)
I see nothing in there about the engine being programmed to "run rich".
Ford does NOT do this. It would not be possible to meet emissions standards.
JL

Old 05-04-2011, 06:17 PM
jimk55124
Cross-Country
2011 FX4 EB 373's

The truck is about a month old right now with only about 500 miles on it...I've been driving the taurus for the mileage. While driving the EB, I have had a pretty wide range of MPG but I do find it difficult to keep my foot out of it on occasion. When driving it carefully for MPG I have seen as high as 16.4 in a stop & go city environment with speed ranging from 30 mph to 50 mph (averaging about 45 mph), which beats the heck out of my now traded '04 5.4L with 355's which got about 11mpg in the same environment. Will it meet the projected 15 and 21 after it is broken in? I think it may but I'll qualify that by saying it might have to be driven very gently to make those figures. Anyone who buys the EB and expects it to perform like the on-line test videos is silly to expect max mpgs. The problem I find with the truck is it's a lot of fun to drive. It's got a high-performance engine, handles great and has a comes out of the hole like a rocket with the 373s. If you want the EB with the best mpg, opt for the 315 rear end and drive it for gas mileage not performance. Jimbo

Old 05-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Tim Dogg
New User
Right now my truck has about 1500 miles on it. 355 4x4 Lariat. I find that warm up in the morning really kills the reading on the dash for your average if this makes sense? Last night i came home on the highway which is about 20 miles, I reset it before i left and when I pulled into my driveway it was around 18.5 mpg.

So every morning I remote start the truck for about 10 minutes. My drive to the highway is only about a 1/4 mile if that. But from going from 18.5 from the time i shut the truck off at night from the time i hit the highway in the morning it went from 18.5 to 14.5 just from the remote start and short distance to the highway. So now i have to drive like grampa to get it back up to the 18ish like it was the night before. Pretty wierd I must say.

I cant figure out for the life of my what this ecoboost actually gets for real time milage but im not trying to hard until after 3k when the motor is broken in.

I did see the new chevy trucks today and there window stickers also said 15 and 21 for fuel economy. So im thinking they are all full of crap. But i will say im much better than my 06 Tritan 5.4 as that thing sucked gas pretty bad.

I bet the Chevy trucks dont have a cool video game like dash board though like we do

Old 05-05-2011, 01:05 AM
bfd1528
New User
Took a small trip for work and went 141.4 miles, used 7.7 gal of gas at 18.1mpg. I was driving between 70-75mph on I-75 in Michigan. I found that your trip meter gives you an average over all. Now I also at the same time rest my GPS which has an ECO App to gage your mileage. You sent you gas prices and truck info and for this same trip is showed City Fuel Economy at 17.5% and Hwy Economy at 20.0%.

With gas at $4.20 gal this was better than my 2008 5.4L...

Still need to pull the travel trailer........Still happy with the truck...

Old 05-05-2011, 06:29 AM
3bands
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bfd1528
Took a small trip for work and went 141.4 miles, used 7.7 gal of gas at 18.1mpg. I was driving between 70-75mph on I-75 in Michigan. I found that your trip meter gives you an average over all. Now I also at the same time rest my GPS which has an ECO App to gage your mileage. You sent you gas prices and truck info and for this same trip is showed City Fuel Economy at 17.5% and Hwy Economy at 20.0%.

With gas at $4.20 gal this was better than my 2008 5.4L...

Still need to pull the travel trailer........Still happy with the truck...
Your 08 had a 4 speed trans big difference in trucks I had one. Tim anything that idles for 10 min is going to get *****ty mileage.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:36 AM
jimk55124
Cross-Country
I've now got 750 miles on my FX4 SC with 3.73's. The EB engine appears to be very sensitive to how you drive it. Keep mashing the gas pedal from every light and you will be using a lot of gas. Drive it for mileage and you will probably do close to the EPA numbers. Most of my driving has been in a city environment with a good number of stop lights and speeds ranging mostly on the 40-50 mph range. I have been averaging in excess of 15 mpg (my '04 5.4 got about 11 mpg in the same area) at these speeds while trying somewhat to conserve fuel and using the "instant readout" at least some of the time to learn how to drive the engine for reasonable economy. Accelerating at a reasonable rate and getting into 6th gear as soon as practical helps a lot. The 3.73s might actually help because the truck has soooo much torque it doesn't shift down very often on the hills...it just pulls. Even accelerating at a reasonable rate, it doesn't take long to get to highway speeds with the EB and 3.73's. I did one test of about 40 miles where it is quite hilly and speeds range from 45-55 mph and there are a few stop lights thrown in to mess up the mileage and averaged 20.3 driving it specifically for mileage and no stomping on the local hotshot in the Chevy. Personally, I think this truck can average 20 mpg on long highway runs. I think having the "instant readout" helps a lot because you can easily see how your driving is affecting your mileage. Personally, I really like this truck!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:13 PM
EcoBill
New User
With just over 2,00 miles, averaging 18.5 with mixed driving on county and highways being conservative. Took a highway ride 150 miles, ave 20.5
Did a 600 mile trip towing 2 quads up into NY, ave was 14.5 doing 70. But when picking it up to 75, it dropped to 13.1 There was also a head wind. On return doing 70, ave was 15.1. The Silverado crew w/6.0L that I had prior, ave 11.9 towing one quad on the same trailer to Colorado and back.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:44 AM
TheViking
New User
My first tank

Just bought a new 2011 SC XLT Texas Edition 4x4 with the offroad package and the ecoboost on saturday. This tank isn't a good estimation of driving, as my fiance drove it some and she has a lead foot. Where I live we have a constant, what we call a breeze, out of the SSE-SE with average winds at or around 15mph so on my trip to work I've got a slight headwind and on my way back it's a slight tail wind. The roads here are not very flat, everytime the highway hits a cross street there is an overpass I have to climb. On my way to work I average about 18-19mpg. I reset the trip odometer when I filled up, but I don't think I topped my tank off, it stopped at $75 . For a heavy truck with 3.73 gears I'm quite pleased so far with my MPG's.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:00 PM
jimk55124
Cross-Country
Congrats on the new truck! The more I drive mine, the more I like it.

Some are complaining about only getting a 3 or 4 mpg increase but in real terms, that's an extra 100 miles (26 gal tank) and maybe as much as a six gallon savings and at $4/gal that's $24 a fill-up. For me, that's pretty significant, especially considering the EB has 50+ more hp than the 5.4 and quite a bit more torque that comes on really early in the power curve. Right now with only 800 miles on the truck, I am seeing an actual mpg increase of 3 to 4 mpg (in suburban stop/go driving - 45-55 mph) over my '04 5.4 FX4 SC and I'm not doing anything special as far as trying to drive for mileage. I am also seeing a huge increase in available power. To me, that's a win-win already. Will the mileage get better after the engine in broken-in? That remains to be seen. Will the highway mileage be near the EPA estimates? Again, that also remains to be seen but I think we have to give it some time and not get hung up on mileage during the first few thousand miles. It'll take us all a little while to learn to drive the EB for the best mileage.
I like the truck a lot. Let's see how it holds up in real-world driving.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:47 AM
truckerdude
Junior User
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
The Manual says the following:

I see nothing in there about the engine being programmed to "run rich".
Ford does NOT do this. It would not be possible to meet emissions standards.
JL
You don't know what you are talking about.

1. Look in the tailpipe of any ecoboost. Solid black soot. Stick your finger in there, rub it around, look at finger. Is it black? IF so, it is running rich.

2. Ford wants to make certain the engine is well worn in, before somebody really flogs it, so the ECU is programmed to remap the valve timing, wastegate pressure, fuel map and ignition timing. The map resets after the first 3,000 miles.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by truckerdude
You don't know what you are talking about.

1. Look in the tailpipe of any ecoboost. Solid black soot. Stick your finger in there, rub it around, look at finger. Is it black? IF so, it is running rich.

2. Ford wants to make certain the engine is well worn in, before somebody really flogs it, so the ECU is programmed to remap the valve timing, wastegate pressure, fuel map and ignition timing. The map resets after the first 3,000 miles.
Cite your source. Produce the Data.
Otherwise-stick a sock in it.
JL

Old 05-19-2011, 10:59 AM
3bands
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know mine has plenty of soot, and seems to get lower mpg in the first 10 miles in the morning, have 1800 on it so far . Plus seems like a high idle speed.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Let me clarify something for you guys. N/A engines run at approx 14.64:1 air/fuel during cruise speeds, just like your turbocharged EcoBoost engines do. But at WOT, or moderate throttle under boost conditions, the EcoBoost engines will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 11.0-11.8:1 air/fuel vs 12.0-12.6:1 air/fuel for a N/A engine. This is to keep the catalysts cool enough and to keep detonation from totally destroying the piston crowns and damaging the valves and seats. This will yield a bit of "soot" as you're calling it on the tailpipe. This does not mean that the engine is running"rich" to "break it in easy".
High idle when cold is a normal strategy used to get the engine up to normal operating temp for emissions compliance.
JL

Quick Reply: real world mpg in ecoboost 4x4