1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo 3 valve V10

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Skoda
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adgranley
I havent driven it enough to check mpg. Just normal driving it should not be affected, but its hard to keep your foot out of it...

Pictures!

Pictures by adgranley - Photobucket

I still need to do some final touches. Like, a protective cover for the turbo assy. Right now its in front of the passenger rear tire, that and make a rain cover for my air cleaner. We cut a hole in the box in the front right corner for the air cleaner.
Clean install Adgranley love the welds on the exhuast

Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM
brownie83
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by adgranley
As far as that goes its too hard to tell with the drive by wire. Part throttle on the gas pedal doesnt correlate to part throttle of the throttle blades or, 30% pedal position doesnt mean 30% throttle blade opening. It goes by torque tables which are a real pain in the ****. However, Pulling a hill that before it would have to downshift out of overdrive I can now do in overdrive at 3psi of boost. The real test will come when I hook the trailer to it. It did fine before but now I will be able to stay in overdrive better over the rolling hills. That and its sooo much fun to step into it and feel that extra power.

As far as why I did this instead of a diesel? Well, my truck is paid for and has 49k miles on it. I bought it new and know its history. For a brief moment I thought about trading it for a duramax with 100k on it, similar truck, crew cab 3/4 ton but after driving it a day I couldnt do it. It was a very nice truck but they are not the truck the super duties are. There is allot more "wiggle" feeling in the frames when going over bumps, they dont drive for crap, less room in the cab, seats dont go back far enough for me... bla bla bla I like my Ford. As far as going back to the ol 7.3... I have nothing against them but I like it when I twist the key at 10 below zero after the truck sitting for a month and having it fire off whenever I need it. Considering I dont rack up the miles on this truck the diesel just didnt pay out for me when you consider maintenance costs and such. I know I only have 49k miles on it but the only time I open my hood is to check my oil, and change my oil. Which is only 8 quarts and a filter. And now that diesel is .50 a gallon more than gas, its really a toss up when it comes to mileage.

On the drag strip comparo... Lots of variables there to consider, gassers tend to be faster but sometimes not quicker meaning they generally have more horsepower and less torque, that and a much broader rpm band. Idle to 5k rpm vrs idle to 3500 rpm. That and I really dont care what my 7500 lb truck does in a quarter mile. Thats what my mustangs are for. However, I'm more into autocross.

I'm not going to start a gas vrs diesel fight, its just the gas works better for my needs and wants.
thanks for not bashing me...i was just totally curious as i was reading...didnt wan to start a gas/diesel war either. i appreciate the time in the explaination. someday when i hit the lottery, i would love a FAST mustang also...good luck with the project and ill continue to check for updates...this is very interesting since i have owned a V10 also...thanks.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 AM
adgranley
Freshman User
Originally Posted by straightaxle
That's awesome to hear! Do you know what the specs are on the 6.7 cumins turbo? They are vet are they not? It would be interesting to know the compressor and turbine specs to see what else might match it.

What rpm where you at on the hill in overdrive? Being that turbos are load sensitive, I would imagine that it could build boost even lower in the rpm band in the higher gears than it would on a dyno.

Keep the updates coming as you drive it more!
I dont know the exact specs are on my turbo but the price was right and I figured it had more than enough potential. It is a variable vane Holset but we just locked the variable vain so it couldnt move. I cant say it would benefit much to try to utilize it since it builds boost pretty much when ever.

On the hill test its around 2k RPM at about 70mph. (I have 4.10 gears and 35" tires.) It has no problem building boost at that point. It will build boost lower than that but there isnt much point because in 99% of driving situations i'm in that 2k RPM or up range.

We were tuning it on a mustang dyno which is nice because it allows you to do a road simulation and you can pick what kind of grade you want to simulate. We had it on a 10% grade for most of it because anything less and it would accelerate to fast to make data logging useful. However, the dyno is never the same as real world driving.

Thanks for all the interest in my project! Its been fun doing something nobody else has done. I have seen a couple of two valve v10's done but never a three valve. Two valve motors need everything they can get for help, the three valves are pretty respectable stock.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:05 PM
adgranley
Freshman User
So finally we had some decent weather so I could do a towing test. Hooked up my 24' enclosed and loaded with a few deliveries and headed out. Driving it empty without a trailer you never need to get into the boost. Today was different. With wind and a load cruising was around 2-4" of vacuum and any hill it would dip into some boost. Here in western Montana we have a few hills and most are a decent grade. On the first decent grade I pulled it in overdrive at about 4 lbs of boost at 65mph. The second grade pulled isnt that steep but long. Before it would downshift and be working a bit in 4th gear to maintain 65 but today was in overdrive at 5lbs. Intake air temps climb a little bit but never got above 130 pulling the steepest hills. As soon as you crest the top of the hill and boost drops the intake temps drop right back down to 70-80 degrees. Pulling the longest and steepest grade it did have to drop to 4th gear but I pulled it at 70. Still a little fine tuning to do with timing but the AFR was spot on. So far its killer, its like i'm not towing a barn behind me. My trailer is your typical enclosed but a foot taller than normal. You wouldnt think that would make much difference but above 60mph it sure does.

Mileage isnt any better or really any worse than before. Still pretty much sucks. Got 9 today.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:11 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome, it is amazing what these engines can do with a little boost.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:08 AM
straightaxle
Senior User
Thats outstanding! What is the elevation where you are towing? I bet it makes maintaining speed, and light acceleration at freeway speeds much more enjoyable.

What did you do for a muffler/after turbo exhaust? It would be cool to hear some sound clips some day if you get a chance.

Thanks for the update!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
adgranley, can you put together a parts list of everything that you installed?

Old 04-14-2011, 11:26 AM
adgranley
Freshman User
Originally Posted by straightaxle
Thats outstanding! What is the elevation where you are towing? I bet it makes maintaining speed, and light acceleration at freeway speeds much more enjoyable.

What did you do for a muffler/after turbo exhaust? It would be cool to hear some sound clips some day if you get a chance.

Thanks for the update!

Our average elevation is about 3500 feet, the mountain passes go up to about 6-7000 feet depending which one your on. Before the turbo it really didnt have much trouble maintaining speed in overdrive, it was the small hills it got annoying when having to down shift. Light acceleration is good in overdrive being able build full boost before downshifting.

There is not a muffler on the truck. The turbo is mounted where the muffler used to be so there isnt really room for a muffler now. Its not loud at all. Louder than factory of course but not annoying one bit. At highway speeds you really dont hear it much at all so I have no desire to put a muffler on it.

The whole thing turned out pretty perfect. I can cruise at 70 just below 2k rpm and pull pretty much any small hill in overdrive. Before pulling the steep hills I was in 3rd gear at over 4k rpm, now am pulling the same hills in 4th under 3k rpm.

Someday I will get a video.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:08 PM
adgranley
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Furian
adgranley, can you put together a parts list of everything that you installed?
Allot of it is custom but the basics are:

Factory turbo from Dodge 6.7 cummins (bought mine used on ebay for $200)
SCT big MAF sensor
Oil lines and return pump
Relay for oil pump
boost gauge, Wide band afr gauge
gauge pod
Lots of Fabrication time and tuning time...

Old 04-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Ron_Manjenkins
Senior User
I really hate bringing this back from the dead but is there any updates from the op? I believe I'm going to do this to my own V10

Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Ron_Manjenkins
Senior User
And how did you go about tuning the amount of boost to put out?

Old 04-15-2012, 01:30 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Sorry Ron I dont think the OP was impressed with some of the reception/feedback he got from some users... he bugged out and hasnt been back

Old 04-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I read this whole thread before realizing it was 1 yr old

shame the OP left and hasn't been back. On the flip side though, he was given some sound advice that he decided to ignore. I'm wondering if he blew his engine and just never came back.

Especially after reading that he is running a 12-13 psi non-intercooled whipple on a Mustang. The 6 psi non-intercooled Whipple will heat soak and overload IAT's on the Mustang after 1 single pull. Even with Meth injection that blower setup is useless. It truly needs an intercooler.

Now take the Cummins turbo he has. Sure the IAT's were decent, and he said he got to 130F with an empty trailer going uphill...so what happens when that trailer is loaded down and his IAT's reach 150F or better. Hope the timing/fuel get pulled quick or else

I'd be interested to hear the OP's comments following 1 yr of turbo fun. The muffler mounted turbo's are prone to issues. Many of the Mustang guys have had nothing but trouble with them and they aren't that popular. Oiling issues and water ingestion are the 2 biggest complaints you run across with them.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:04 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

well i read the whole thing too because it was interesting. and the first criticism he got was rather rude in my opinion...

TY? How come you never responded to my joke a few weeks ago, I didnt think it was that bad?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
it wasn't very tactful, but the question was a good one.
Originally Posted by PA-Mark
TY? How come you never responded to my joke a few weeks ago, I didnt think it was that bad?
didn't think about it...and it's true

Quick Reply: Turbo 3 valve V10