Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.SPONSORED BY:
Click Here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Senior User

krazeyelf is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bed cover for '81 F100 Flareside

Enough said? I am looking for bed cover options for my model ('81 F100 flareside shortbed), which, of course, has the bed top bent to the outside instead of the inside like most pickups. I would prefer a topper but will settle for a tonnaeu if I have to.
  1. Does anyone sell a topper that mounts easily for these type of beds, mounting in the corner bed holes if possible or some other method.
  2. Does anyone sell an adapter kit to mount a standard topper?
  3. Does anyone have a homespun option?
  4. I saw one company that sold tonneau covers for my model, if topper4less, if someone has another place I'd love to hear it (just to explore my options).
I know a topper for my model is possible, because I saw one pass me a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, I couldn't talk to him. I would appreciate some info on this if anyone has it, and thanks!

Beastie: 1981 F100 Ranger XLT Flareside, rebuilt Big Six, 4spd, daily driver, family heirloom
Old 03-06-2011, 01:20 AM
New User

Pickupman1979 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm interested in finding a bedcover for an old 1979 f100 flareside, and i think our beds have the same dimensions.. let me know what you decide on.. I'm about to start shopping around but I'm also thinking about trying to make one and just tie it in through the four bed corner holes
Old 03-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Senior User

krazeyelf is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickupman1979 View Post
I'm interested in finding a bedcover for an old 1979 f100 flareside, and i think our beds have the same dimensions.. let me know what you decide on.. I'm about to start shopping around but I'm also thinking about trying to make one and just tie it in through the four bed corner holes
My grandpa has made homespun hard tonneau covers for his pickups before, used plywood, rubber weatherseal, a long hinge, rails on the large rear portion for stiffness, and some sort of hood-pin-type fasteners for the tailgate end. I think he fastened the front corners and the rear pin fasteners into the corner bed holes. I thought about doing that with my pickup as well.

Beastie: 1981 F100 Ranger XLT Flareside, rebuilt Big Six, 4spd, daily driver, family heirloom
Old 03-12-2011, 05:31 PM