S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

March All Topic

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:11 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That should be a nice drive if it isn't too foggy.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:09 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Put my '02 Escape in the shop this morning for some maintenance. We've got 107k miles on the original plugs, serpentine belts (x2), coolant, rear brake shoes. Getting all that taken care of. Still runs like a top. Not bad for 9 years and 107k, IMNSHO.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:44 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Automobile parts today are of much higher quality that a couple of decades ago.

For instance, the weatherstripping, belts, and hoses are made from EPDM today. The stuff's tough, and is very resistant to degradation from heat, ozone and UV/weather. It's not as good around oils and fuels, so those hoses aren't made of it.

Spark plug materials are much less prone to erosion, and perform their job far longer than the old ones. 100K is about where they begin to deteriorate.

Coolant depletion is inevitable, though today there are additives to bring it back to original properties, and the use of recycled glycol is very common today. On my small gasser minivan, I dump a rejuvenator into it every five years or so. I use a Winn's product. Lab analysis by Polaris Labs tells me it's good-to-go, still.

Rear brakes? Who can say? It's dependent on driving style, freeway miles or not, weight of the vehicle, disks or drums, etc, etc, etc.

Cars DO last a lot longer today, even Detroit's iron. I suspect it has something to do with Japanese engineering and their imitators. Planned obsolescence isn't today what it once was, even for (the once) almighty Detroit. We tend to keep our stuff longer, and expect more of it.

Pop

Old 03-10-2011, 01:22 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
I had to put an IAC valve in it last year, which is to be expected.

Right at 36k miles, I had a right front axle bearing fail. Barely out of warranty, so we got screwed on that, and it should have lasted a lot longer. Then last year we spent about $1,500 on front suspension work, in the strut area. Never was exactly sure what part failed, but it ruined a tire. So I don't think the front end is very solid on that model. But other than that it has been a good SUV. I think the design is mostly Mazda.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

On those vehickes that have them, I have never had to replace an IAC.

If you catch it early, and don't allow that tiny motor to stall for extended periods, Berryman's Chem-Tool is your friend. I fixed a buddy's Camry V-6 a couple of weeks ago with it. Three Phillips-head screws and unclip the connector, and a small brass "toothbrush" later, and WA-LAA! It idles properly again!

Real early for an axle bearing to fail, but they are integrated hubs, aren't they? Sux you got to pay for it, too.

Pop

Old 03-10-2011, 01:52 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
IAC - it never had idle problems. Idled great, ran great, but would randomly be difficult to start. Failed to start for us one night, but fired up the next morning. Replacing the IAC was a shot in the dark and Grody only agreed to replace it at my request. Well, not totally a shot in the dark, because the brainiacs here had suggested that it was probably the problem. They were right, because it has been fine since.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:46 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
I'd be pretty happy with that amount of maintenance for nine years use...not really too bad when you spread it out over the term.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:58 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Got the tires and tools all loaded up, and after we drop Max off at the dog hotel tomorrow morning we'll be heading to Phoenix for the NHRDA season opener on Saturday. If anybody is interested, you can stream live race results on 1320go.com. Qualifying starts at 10am, eliminations at 1pm.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:01 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Ah, the exitement of a new racing season. Have a safe trip.

You will miss the excellent Sardine fishing in Redondo Beach.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:07 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
I heard they pulled something like 35 tons out of King Harbor yesterday, and figured there were another 35 tons to go. Too bad...that would have made some good bait for the party boats.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Automobile parts today are of much higher quality that a couple of decades ago.

For instance, the weatherstripping, belts, and hoses are made from EPDM today. The stuff's tough, and is very resistant to degradation from heat, ozone and UV/weather. It's not as good around oils and fuels, so those hoses aren't made of it.

Spark plug materials are much less prone to erosion, and perform their job far longer than the old ones. 100K is about where they begin to deteriorate.

Coolant depletion is inevitable, though today there are additives to bring it back to original properties, and the use of recycled glycol is very common today. On my small gasser minivan, I dump a rejuvenator into it every five years or so. I use a Winn's product. Lab analysis by Polaris Labs tells me it's good-to-go, still.

Rear brakes? Who can say? It's dependent on driving style, freeway miles or not, weight of the vehicle, disks or drums, etc, etc, etc.

Cars DO last a lot longer today, even Detroit's iron. I suspect it has something to do with Japanese engineering and their imitators. Planned obsolescence isn't today what it once was, even for (the once) almighty Detroit. We tend to keep our stuff longer, and expect more of it.

Pop
Hey Pop, what does EDPM stand for ?

In addition to what you posted above, the longevity of todays vehicles is also enhanced by modern machining. CNC machines used in manufacturing now will hold .0001" all day long and much closer than that in very critical areas. Thirty years ago, plus or minus .001 was pretty good. Not any more.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:06 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Bdox
...what does EDPM stand for ?...
Erectile Disfunction Phallis Majoris

but you may have meant EPDM, which stands for Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPDM

Old 03-10-2011, 06:45 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

I first heard about it as a liner for fire hoses. It doesn't crack and begin leaking as easily as other liner materials.

Pop

Old 03-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Knew I should have studied Latin!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:15 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
Got the tires and tools all loaded up, and after we drop Max off at the dog hotel tomorrow morning we'll be heading to Phoenix for the NHRDA season opener on Saturday. If anybody is interested, you can stream live race results on 1320go.com. Qualifying starts at 10am, eliminations at 1pm.
Good luck, Steve. Bring home some hardware!!

Quick Reply: March All Topic