Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2011, 09:41 PM
New User

blshaf is starting off with a positive reputation.
03 F250 4WD Problem

I'm having an issue with my 4X4. I recently purchased a new to me 03 F250 6.0L. Went out today to test out the 4X4 in some sand, only to find out that for some reason, my front hubs don't seem to engage. I'm new to the auto/manual hub thing...traded my Tacoma for the F250. First I just switched the ESOF to 4HI...Nothing. Then got out and locked the hubs. This seemed to create the usual added workload for the truck in 4X4, but the front tires didn't move. I then switched to 4LOW. Same thing...Nothing. When switching from the dash ESOF, the lights lit up correctly and everything. Not sure what to look for here. Vaccum lines, electrical, worn hubs, transfer case? Don't know where to go from here, and am really bummed out because 4WD is everything to me. I like mud and mud likes me Thanks in advance for any help!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Senior User

helomech is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm new to my truck, but I've heard on older versions, when you locked the hubs, it was typically before you got stuck.. then the hubs would have to turn (drive a few feet) before they would actually lock in.

At this point, my spreading of old rumored info is "take it for what it's worth"... lol. Might be something to try though.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Senior User

onuredneck707 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the same problem with my 05 F250. I worked on that thing for days tracing vacuum lines etc. Turned out to be a bad solenoid that engages the vacuum pump. I think it is a $60 part or so. I would try replacing that before you take it to a shop. The symptoms you described are the exact same I as was experiencing.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:00 PM
New User

I hope I can get it fixed. That and also the popping/knocking whenever I turn the wheel...LOL. I'll check out the vacuum line and go from there. Don't want to spend $$$ when I don't have to. My hubs markings are worn down so much I can't read them. I don't know if I have manual or auto hubs. I assume auto. I have them turned clockwise right now for 2WD I believe.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
Clockwise is lock. Counter clockwise is auto.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 03-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Post Fiend

acf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputation
miles.degrandi
Also make sure you have it in Neutral for engaging 4wd low
coming soon: BPD water pump, Dieselsite HPOP, running for more than a week

Old 03-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
The first thing is to figure out what is and isn't working. If the 4x4 and Low lights are coming on, it's very rare that the transfer case is not actually shifting into those gears. But it can happen. It's pretty common for the auto locking hubs to fail and need to be locked manually.

So... get the front wheels up off the ground with jack stands. Leave it in 2WD. Turn the hub lock back and forth three or four times, then put them in auto (counter clockwise). The front wheel and the front axle u-joint behind that wheel should turn independently of each other. This proves that your hubs are unlocked. Manually lock the hub (clockwise). Now the wheel and the corresponding u-joint should be locked together. The proves that your hub locks work and aren't broken. This would also be a good time to turn the front driveline. It should turn freely, proving that your transfer case is disengaged.

Now, with the engine running, turn the dash switch to 4WD. Check that the front drive line will not turn now. This proves that the transfer case has engaged. Check to see if the front hubs have automatically locked. Each wheel should be locked to the u-joint behind it.

When you've done these tests, let us know what didn't work right and we can help you fix it.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 03-01-2011, 06:05 PM
New User

[quote=dchamberlain;10036713]The first thing is to figure out what is and isn't working. If the 4x4 and Low lights are coming on, it's very rare that the transfer case is not actually shifting into those gears. But it can happen. It's pretty common for the auto locking hubs to fail and need to be locked manually.

So... get the front wheels up off the ground with jack stands. Leave it in 2WD. Turn the hub lock back and forth three or four times, then put them in auto (counter clockwise). The front wheel and the front axle u-joint behind that wheel should turn independently of each other. This proves that your hubs are unlocked. Manually lock the hub (clockwise). Now the wheel and the corresponding u-joint should be locked together. The proves that your hub locks work and aren't broken. This would also be a good time to turn the front driveline. It should turn freely, proving that your transfer case is disengaged.

Now, with the engine running, turn the dash switch to 4WD. Check that the front drive line will not turn now. This proves that the transfer case has engaged. Check to see if the front hubs have automatically locked. Each wheel should be locked to the u-joint behind it.

When you've done these tests, let us know what didn't work right and we can help you fix it.

I will definitely try this!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Freshman User

obiwan kenobi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Subscribing, what became of your investigation, sounds just like what happened to us today.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:50 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
03, 2003, 4wd, drive, duty, engaged, f250, ford, front, hubs, locking, problem, super, sxle, vacuum, wheel, working