Connecticut Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

CT Chapter March B/S Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:30 PM
qbenplaya00
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
I have the same "problem" but the Chevy 350 is going into a '79 Chevy k20 10" lift with ground hogs and dual flowmaster super 40s. Mud truck, we can't wait to get it driving, not street legal yet. It will be at the truck drive
ya i hear ya. small steps. thats how you learn. and that good you built a running motor by "winging it" but everything is pretty much made easy now-a-days... with rules and guide lines... and directions with easy kits to intall... not like good old days when you had trial and error... go to the junkyard... by a motor... you can take apart... clean rebuild... get a project... where you dont "need" to fix it over the weekend... and your knowlege will skyrocket.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:34 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qbenplaya00
ya i hear ya. small steps. thats how you learn. and that good you built a running motor by "winging it" but everything is pretty much made easy now-a-days... with rules and guide lines... and directions with easy kits to intall... not like good old days when you had trial and error... go to the junkyard... by a motor... you can take apart... clean rebuild... get a project... where you dont "need" to fix it over the weekend... and your knowlege will skyrocket.
We did have a friend give us some guidance (and a new block and heads) because hes rebuilt 4 or 5 of them. And a shop manual for torque specs. But otherwise we were just doing what seemed right lol

Old 03-01-2011, 09:42 PM
qbenplaya00
Posting Guru
yurp.. those friends are the best to have around. thats good man... have fun. thats the best way to learn if you get flustered... then walk away and come back later.. thats the best way i found to deal with problems.. sometimes you figure it out if you take a brake. good to knwo people are still interested in motors not how new younger guys are they car more about looks and brands then how to change a tire... ha

Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah and this summer I'm tearing apart my sled for 3rd time. Working on that is fun too

Old 03-01-2011, 10:49 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jthorngate3
Did somebody say rust?
I heard my name...

Originally Posted by StreamlineGT
haha, kids these days. Don't you know
what a PUSHROD is?
Pushrods is those metal sticks what makes the valves move!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:49 PM
12engine
Postmaster
Originally Posted by qbenplaya00
yurp.. those friends are the best to have around. thats good man... have fun. thats the best way to learn if you get flustered... then walk away and come back later.. thats the best way i found to deal with problems.. sometimes you figure it out if you take a brake. good to knwo people are still interested in motors not how new younger guys are they car more about looks and brands then how to change a tire... ha
Im the same way Fern.

goodnight CT, catch ya later.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
Brian can in fact vouch for the Jeep... he's seen it a number of times. We have a history, he referred me here a while back but I had lost the link long ago.

The Jeep has a long history with me. My father bought it in 2002 as a father/son project for us. Following this came 6 others, at once... I have two more of them plus this one pictured below. He passed away in December of 2005 and since it's been a working project for me. Slowly but surely. Right now it's waiting for me to pull the entire front clip so I can pull the engine out for a gasket overhaul and painting, as well as me coating the front part of the frame and components, and the engine bay itself. As well as a new wiring harness from the dash forward including the addition of a fuse panel. It might also be getting a mild cam... but I'm in the process of scoping out another engine for it to build up a little so I can keep the stock one. Hopefully next year it will be getting painted.

It's a 1973 Jeep Commando, one of about 20,250 built in two years (72-73). Little known model... but it's known for its following of people who tend to like them. They started life in '66 as a V6 "family" type SUV, width of the CJ5 and wheelbase of the CJ6. In AMC's era, '72 saw the nose lengthened and changed from a Jeep appearing nose to one that looks like a bobcat Bronco or Scout. They had similar drivetrains to the same era CJ's, with the exception that these had optional automatics given the extra room.

It's a slow-going project. I've learned a lot doing this, I've been taking my time due to budget and time constraints and the fact I'm trying to do it all right the first time. I take pride in knowing that one day it's going to be perfect. It's just getting there that's hard... it's only me working on it as it has been for the past 6 years.

This Jeep in particular is a factory V8 Jeep with about 87k miles, AMC 304 under the hood with a few mods. It's an original auto too, using GM's TH400 transmission, and Dana 30/44 axles and 20 x-case (with 3.73 gears and a posi in the rear). Other options that were factory on it include PS, PB, and the original radio. It's a factory full hardtop but has an added soft top to it. One of the other Jeeps is a '72 original confirmed half-cab model, one of about 580 from that year built.

List of notable mods:
Edelbrock Performer intake
Edelbrock 600cfm 4bbl (changing)
Thrush Welded mufflers in true dual form (switching to long tubes and 2.5" exhaust)
Mallory GM-style HEI
Alcan Springs 3"f/4"r lift springs
31x10.5 AT's on CJ7 Renegade wheels
STC Soft Top
Custom seats up front

Now for a few pics (top one is the newest):

This is how it was in August of 2002:

If some of you are from this part of the state you may have seen it at Ocean Beach or Mohegan Sun.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:25 AM
gbroehl1
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good morning everyone. A little windy out there this morning but not too bad otherwise.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:27 AM
rocdril
Postmaster
Morning Greg, everyone

Old 03-02-2011, 04:55 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Good Morning CT!

Happy Hump Day!

Old 03-02-2011, 04:55 AM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good morning Ray, Greg, and everyone else.
Looks like it is going to get cold tonight.
Matt- that Jeep is very nice.
I used to have a '68 CJ5 Back in high school with a V6 225 Buick in it.
It was a lot of fun but I sold it to buy the wife a engagement ring.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:06 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good Morning!!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:27 AM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
Good morning CT!
Rise and shine and coffee is brewin'
Hump day is upon us so have a great day!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:30 AM
mustangx
Junior User
Good morning everyone, 18 days til spring. Hooray !

Old 03-02-2011, 06:32 AM
qbenplaya00
Posting Guru
good morning to the great chapter of ......

little something to wake up with.

YouTube - Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros - Home (JVTP)

Quick Reply: CT Chapter March B/S Thread