1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:56 PM
STIHL021
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paint job?

Hey there, I was wondering about your guys opinion on paint? I'm not ready for it yet but my goal this summer is to get my truck painted. If you look at my pictures, my truck is a teal color, that was painted over the stock red. Now the paint job isn't bad nor awesome by any means the PO didn't even take the roof lights or the bumper off to paint it. And I can't decide between gloss black (figure its cheaper), white (looks sharp) or a dark blue of some sort. Also I plan onn learning how to paint soon so I think I might do it myself. So just wondering about your opinions or prior experiences.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:42 PM
jchosler
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the red personally but second would def be black. Our trucks look mean in black

Old 03-01-2011, 06:10 AM
STIHL021
Senior User
Yeah the red looks awesome till it fades, that's wat I thought too

Old 03-01-2011, 06:20 AM
Phil105
Elder User
Originally Posted by STIHL021
Hey there, I was wondering about your guys opinion on paint? I'm not ready for it yet but my goal this summer is to get my truck painted. If you look at my pictures, my truck is a teal color, that was painted over the stock red. Now the paint job isn't bad nor awesome by any means the PO didn't even take the roof lights or the bumper off to paint it. And I can't decide between gloss black (figure its cheaper), white (looks sharp) or a dark blue of some sort. Also I plan onn learning how to paint soon so I think I might do it myself. So just wondering about your opinions or prior experiences.
I like Black AND White

Old 03-01-2011, 06:55 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Whites the easiest to fix if you ever have a fender bender. I suck at blending in paint with colors but with white I always get it nice. Mines got a mako job on it now from the last owner. One of those 199 specials. This summer we're going to redo it, my camper, horse trailer and the back half of my 97 that is becoming a trailer all in white. With GOOD paint this time. Everything will match. Insurance is lowest for me with white too. The highest it's ever been was when we had a charcoal colored mustang, second highest was a red one.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:04 AM
B Big
Senior User
Black paint is the absolute hardest color to shoot correctly. If you are learning how to shoot paint pick the easiest and most forgiving: white.

Our trucks have acres of flat metal & black will show every flaw there is. White will not.

My 2cents!

Personally I like two tone & my truck is all black from the factory. I will probably do a two tone like silver over black.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Are you In Mi ?

As far as the color , anything that has a good shine to it will show bad spots . Red will be fine if you clear coat it .. Black is the easiest color to spray , covers nice & is cheap to buy. White is my favorite , but due to not having to wash it too often ,even when it is dirty , it still looks fine ...

Old 03-01-2011, 09:54 PM
wmiller
Elder User
Black will also show any scratches more than any color. I personally love the candy red, royal blue and hunter green/tan

Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Krisx125
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
royal blue!!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:51 PM
USMC0351fordtruckin
Senior User
black does look really good but a pure white would look really good 2 my 1 truck is YZ white and when there is snow on it the white paint look ugly so if u could find a better white i think it would look good... but i think blue is 1 of the best colors for these truck either JA LE or KM.... i just got the JA 2 paint my truck with but my brother has LE on his truck and it look real good... sorry for the rambling

Old 03-03-2011, 10:18 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
just not a fan of white at all i would go with a light charcoal. oh thats what i am doing with black decals. and white may lay down easy but it is by far the hardest to match (other than a 3 stage paint like a pearl) if you need to repaint white has alot of variations and the sun yellows it alot over time hard to get a match.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:11 PM
STIHL021
Senior User
Yeah I love the way blue looks I don't mind the teal just a bad paint job and that's what I've figured for the white that it will yellow but if its new and super white its real nice with chrome I think. Yeah I'm in michigan and this summer my goal is new fenders doors and box. Charcoal, that sounds like it would look sharp. Just a little indecisive about the decision but I've got a bit of time till I start that project. Thanks for the replys everyone!

Old 03-04-2011, 05:41 PM
dbf74
Junior User
I have always been a fan of the dark blue ford put on them, the regular navy blue, not the metallic. I hate white, everything is white, mine is white, and I will not repaint it white. As for doing it yourself, white is easy the first time, but is hard to match later, but who plans on messing their truck up anyway.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:54 PM
F-series Fan
Senior User
White is the easiest to shoot, BUT, Metallic's and tri coats are worse. The best advise I can give is that, DON'T cut short, get what you want, cause it ain't cheap! Mine cost 4 grand, but it's nice, and it's what I wanted (backed with a warranty) I've painted a-lot,............. and there's a knack, you've got it, or you don't. Best wish's

Old 03-04-2011, 05:58 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What color is the interior?

Quick Reply: paint job?