6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Contaminated Coolant ? !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:10 PM
j klug
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contaminated Coolant ? !!

My 2011 F250 just rolled over 14000. miles and the check coolant additive warning light came on Friday night while pulling in to Jacksonville Fl. to do my first tow, my oldest son just finished his enlistment in the Navy and I went to tow his Ford Explorer to St.Louis where he is moving. Saturday morning I went bright and early to a local Ford dealer to get the PH checked, The test strip came out red ! he told me my coolant was contaminated and needed to be flushed and refilled, then told me I would be safe to drive to St. Louis then back to northern Il. to my selling dealer. No one has ever opened the caps on either cooling system since dealer prep. How can they be contaminated? Im in St.Louis now and first thing in the morning Im going to another dealer to get a second opinion. Has anybody else had this problem, any in put will be welcome.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Remember that this coolant test procedure is still a new thing at Ford dealers. I suspect they could have used the wrong strips.

I'd do exactly as you are planning, go to another dealer for a second opinion.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:20 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Just an FYI you can get test strip and check yourself at NAPA's.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:15 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
I had the same thing happen at my selling dealer right after I bought the truck. They weren't even supposed to be checking the coolant yet, but they did... and used the wrong strips. I can't tell you the part number or even what they're called... but they are unique to the 6.7L. Be 100% sure they are using the 6.7L test strips before believing that there is a problem with your coolant.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Just an FYI you can get test strip and check yourself at NAPA's.
Well this is good to know.
I'm at 12k and these type of questions seem to be more common so I would rather have some on standby.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:01 AM
j klug
New User
Coolant update

Thanks for the input but my worries were unfounded. Got up this morning and went to one of the most reputable Ford dealers in the St. Louis area. They used the correct test kit found the coolant was in excelant condition. Didn't even need additive, didn't charge me a dime to test it or reset the warning. It made my drive home a lot less worrysome.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...another poor servicing dealer situation...These trucks have been out for almost a year now...this stuff should not happen

Old 03-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rickatic
...another dopey dealer situation...These trucks have been out for almost a year now...this stuff should not happen
Sounds like it. Please list the name of the dealer. Maybe the Ford people who stop by this forum can attempt to correct this issue with some education.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
...at least some non-knowing tech there did not see the wrong color...gasp for air...and then tell you that you should have bought a truck with the 7.3...

Regards

Old 03-02-2011, 04:05 AM
j klug
New User
Dealer Info.

The dealer with the wrong test strips was Duval Ford in Jacksonville Florida,The dealer in St.Louis Mo. who was kind enough to get me in on a Monday with no appointment was Dave Sinclair Ford. The sad thing is that when I called the dealer in Florida they led me to believe they had the strips and knew what they were doing. I'm glad I didn't have the time to let them drain and flush my cooling systems, Who knows what they would have filled them with.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:06 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 902 Likes on 327 Posts
So, just to understand, a warning message comes up that ONLY the dealer can reset? I like maintenance reminders, but if forced to go to the dealer to reset, I'm not gonna be happy....

Old 03-02-2011, 05:34 AM
j klug
New User
I'm sure that one of the tech.'s on the post will be able to pass on the procedure to clear the warning, for us that like to do our own maintenance. I hope the fuel filter warning isn't one the dealer will need to clear also. I've put an Amsoil oil bypass system on last month and plan to run until I get the oil change message before I change oil agin, dose the dealer need to clear that one too?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:04 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
So, just to understand, a warning message comes up that ONLY the dealer can reset? I like maintenance reminders, but if forced to go to the dealer to reset, I'm not gonna be happy....
Originally Posted by j klug
I'm sure that one of the tech.'s on the post will be able to pass on the procedure to clear the warning, for us that like to do our own maintenance. I hope the fuel filter warning isn't one the dealer will need to clear also. I've put an Amsoil oil bypass system on last month and plan to run until I get the oil change message before I change oil agin, dose the dealer need to clear that one too?
Absolutely not!

These messages can be reset in the message center with NO dealer involvement.

I believe you go to "system check" and scroll down to whichever one you're trying to reset. Highlight it, and press and hold the "OK" button on the steering wheel. This should reset it.

You will NOT find a car or truck sold in this country that has service reminders that can't be reset at home. This is because federal law prohibits the manufacturer from forcing you to get your service work done there. Whether it be a Honda, Toyota, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, or anything else you can think of, you can always reset it.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:09 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
exactly...

Old 03-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Bill Wolf
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by j klug
Thanks for the input but my worries were unfounded. Got up this morning and went to one of the most reputable Ford dealers in the St. Louis area. They used the correct test kit found the coolant was in excelant condition. Didn't even need additive, didn't charge me a dime to test it or reset the warning. It made my drive home a lot less worrysome.
I can probably guarantee you the dealer was using the strips that were offered a few years back when Ford wanted the coolant tested on some of their other model vehicles. I think they were made by or had the name of "Rotunda". From what I gather a completely different type of coolant was used then which would throw off the test.

Quick Reply: Contaminated Coolant ? !!