1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Went shopping today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Went shopping today!

Well, I spent the afternoon browsing in the local pick your part salvage yard. I scored a set of gray leather bucket seats for 43 dollars and some change. Driver seat is power, passenger manual. With the headrests removed I think they will work nicely.

I'm amazed at how much stuff is screwed up in the u pull yards by idiots that don't know how to take a part off. I found a set of really nice gray leather buckets in a chrylser LHS that were full power and heat, and some jerk had torn up the electric drive mechanisms trying to get the seats to move forward so they could get to the rear mounting bolts. They even tried taking out the front seat bolts and bending the seat back trying to break off the the rear mounts. I always carry an 18 volts drill battery and some jumper wires so I can hook up to the seats and check them for operation and move them to where I can get to the mounting bolts.

On another note, I found an automatic floor shifter that was really trick looking and would look good with the interior layout I envision, but it is in a front wheel drive car. Any reason I can't adapt it to work on a brand X 350 turbo. I can only assume that it operates the trans by cable. Anybody ever use one of the shifters from a front wheel drive????????????

Anyway, it was a great afternoon, 70 plus degrees, leisurely checking out all the cars for things that would go well in my build.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:10 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
That's a good tip about the 18 volt battery and I've wondered about the shifter too but ended up buying a Lokar cable shifter. I would think you should be able to make it work you are after all a very good fabricator. How do you set up that battery to work for you, just tape the leads to the battery and alligator clamps?
I'd like to get a set of buckets from a new chev/gmpickup in tan leather but the you picks around here would probably charge an arm and leg. It seems that in the U.S. the wrecking yards are much more reasonable than the ones in my area.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 56panelford
That's a good tip about the 18 volt battery and I've wondered about the shifter too but ended up buying a Lokar cable shifter. I would think you should be able to make it work you are after all a very good fabricator. How do you set up that battery to work for you, just tape the leads to the battery and alligator clamps?
My jumper leads have alligator clips on both ends, and I usually expose the seat wires where they come up out of the carpet, strip back the insulation and hook up my leads to the seat wires and battery and cycle the seat through all of it's motions. Works like a champ and moves the seat to position where all the bolts can be removed easily. I have disconnected the drive cables and run the drive cables with my battery drill to get the seats to move when the motors are bad. Only seat I've ever gone to that much trouble on was a corvette seat that had been in a flood and all the motors were locked up. The seats were perfect, but the motors were toast.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:52 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 610 Likes on 547 Posts
You would have to wear snowshoes to do that up here today! Sounds like you had a fun one!

Old 02-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
A junk yard open on Sunday... Only a few are open on Saturday around here...

Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pick & pull

Originally Posted by Moe Craig
A junk yard open on Sunday... Only a few are open on Saturday around here...
We have pick & pull here in fl. They are 1/2 price on sundays. I was blowed away at the number of folks shoping there on sunday.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:16 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Andrew were you over to the Express Pull N Save? If so cool.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:01 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by tacson
Andrew were you over to the Express Pull N Save? If so cool.
Yep, I gotta stay out of that place. I saw too many things that I'd like to incorporate on my build. I guess that's why my truck isn't finished yet.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:06 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What were the seats from?
jim

Old 02-28-2011, 07:03 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by hellfirejim
What were the seats from?
jim
They were out of a Chrysler LHS. I've got to go back and check to see the year model. I try to keep a log of the parts that I use so that if I ever have a problem, I'll know what to ask for when trying to get parts. I guess that's one of the problems with building a modified vehicle.......trying to keep up with what parts you've used.

Guess I'll have to pick up that shifter while I'm there. It's only fifteen bucks so it'll be worth a shot at fitting it to my application.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
nice looking and nice idea about using the battery from the drill..

how thick are the backs on those seats? I picked up a set of F150 buckets with the integrated seat belt, but the back is so thick that they don't really provide any ability to move them back.. I'm long legged and need more room, not less..

the front side of the back is about 3in closer to the steering wheel than the stock bench seat..(with the seat back against the cab back wall)

Sam

Old 02-28-2011, 08:43 AM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Nice pick, Drewski, I'm with you on the jerks that don't care about how they remove parts from the "Pull" yards. Sometime I find just what I want and then start to do a removal and find that the parts are either cut up or just busted to get to another part. I guess that is the price we have to pay to get what we want. At least I think I am done picking the "Yards" for awhile. The one I am just about to finish, this Summer, is my last one.

"Happiness: 3 pedals and a 5 speed"

Old 02-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by sdetweil
nice looking and nice idea about using the battery from the drill..

how thick are the backs on those seats? I picked up a set of F150 buckets with the integrated seat belt, but the back is so thick that they don't really provide any ability to move them back.. I'm long legged and need more room, not less..

the front side of the back is about 3in closer to the steering wheel than the stock bench seat..(with the seat back against the cab back wall)

Sam

Sam, I took a couple more pictures for you. From a side view the seat backs look thick, but the seats are really contoured.

As you can see the seat back is slightly less than 4 inches. I don't know if that is better than the 150 seat. I know a couple guys that do custom upholstery and they seem to like these particular mopar seats for their their styling and lack of bulk. They seem to look really good in the finished jobs I've seen.

My wife and I are somewhat vertically challenged, so the seat thickness would not be an issue. I did want a seat that didn't sit too high and had a headrest that I could remove since my top is chopped pretty hard and I'll need a slightly lower seating position and I don't want a headrest showing in the back window.

Even more important, I wanted a seat that was comfortable and these feel really good.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:13 PM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice seats!!! don`t see why you can`t use a fwd shifter as long as its the same amount of gates, i`m using a mid 90`s t-bird shifter for my aod

Old 03-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by thepitshop
nice seats!!! don`t see why you can`t use a fwd shifter as long as its the same amount of gates, i`m using a mid 90`s t-bird shifter for my aod
I went back a 2 days after I got the seats and got a shifter assembly. I don't see any reason that I can't make it work. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment since it would be so much easier to just pick up a summit catalog and order a shifter.