Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Michigan Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Michigan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: just another truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Senior User

Semper Fordelis is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Smitten with the Mitten

So I have returned, and Michigan is just how I left it. I missed the people and the land. I am in my new house out in Perry and things couldnt be better, I happy to be home and I feel like I am actually relaxed for a change!!

Heres important truck updates/lessons Ive encountered in the past week or so:

Diesels are hard to start in the cold....a jump box dosent help, a Nissan Murano dosent help, both almost help..........my newest friend has become....the block heater!!!

Diesels make funny noises when they are cold.....I had to keep looking for low flying jets...then I realized it was my truck.

On the Cross Country Trip, with my Truck and enclosed car hauler, with furniture, for a total scale weight of 20,268.....I could still cruise at 75 if I wanted to....and get 8 MPG

The rake to my truck, was perfect for the jacked up way I loaded my trailer and screwed up the weight distribution......I had 10,000lbs over the rear axle, but my truck sat level.

Cops in Nebraska love big trucks, but when you cut them off because your turn signal is out, they'll pull you over!

Those same cops will laugh and give you the thumbs up when you have to put it in 4x4 and throw dirt all over they highway because you got stuck in the soft shoulder when they pulled you over!

Even K9 cops are scared of Pitbulls when they lunge out the window from the backseat barking and throwing foam from the ends of their saber-like teeth.

When you have a crew-cab long bed 4x4 diesel.......there is really no such thing as the fabled trailer sway....even when braking down a 7% grade at 75mph (Thank God I had my Trailer brakes adjusted perfectly......(Thank you Prodigy for such a great product!))

If you actually use your bed often....Bedrugs are a pretty bad idea

My Auto hubs stick...alot.....they are going to be replaced with full manuals!

Its good to be back, and thank you everyone for all the help and advice along the way!

Ted

2000 F350 PSD 4X4 Crew Cab Long Bed "Double-ought" SOLD
Old 02-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Posting Guru

maevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud of
Great post Ted, thanks for the laugh.

Glad to hear you made it back home safe.

Hope to meet at the next GTG.

KEEP means it's mine and you can't have it
BEAR means it's right here on me
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED means **** You
Old 02-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Posting Guru

Not_His_F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
lol that was funny ! Welcome home !
Old 03-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Post Fiend

Talyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud of
Sounds like you need some glow plugs buddy!
1994 F250 XLT 4x4 Standard Cab - T-444E Direct Injection Turbo Diesel, 5 SPD M/T Z/F S5-420, Rosewood 160cc Stage 1's, PHP Tuner, 6637, Short Throw Shift Kit, Valair Kevlar/Ceramic, 140V IDM, T-500, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR. Steyr C9-A1.
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Senior User

Do you think that's why it wont start in the cold Tayln?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Posting Guru

maevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud of
Here some reading for you Ted on cold starting tips - http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...ky-thread.html

KEEP means it's mine and you can't have it
BEAR means it's right here on me
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED means **** You
Old 03-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Post Fiend

Talyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fordelis View Post
Do you think that's why it wont start in the cold Tayln?
no cold start is generally a GP issue or GPR issue.

Helps to be there to see it start though so you can see how it smokes and what not.

Like mine, I know I have 2 bad GP's.
well, thats not true. I know I have 2 of my glow plugs not working.
One of the UVCH harnesses is screwed up, or the VC Gasket.

Those are the main cause, but I don't know how much of a problem they are on the SD's vs the OBS's.

I just know its big bucks, so there might be a paper clip going in there. haha. 30 each on the UVCH's for me, and 60-80 each on the VC gaskets. I got a spare gasket thank god, but only replaced 2 of my 4 harnesses.

The SD's have a different setup, 1 UVCH and a single connector VC Gasket.
A bit more simple, but I didn't much like the clips on the e99 i worked on a few months ago.

Just make sure to get some good GP's, like Beru/motorcraft, not cheapies like autolites.

Jim Rose has another set he sells which are decent too. I think its 79+ shipping for a whole set of the ones he's got, SKG's or something like that.

I'm running a Stancore Relay for my GPR as well. I think you can do that upgrade on the SD's also?
1994 F250 XLT 4x4 Standard Cab - T-444E Direct Injection Turbo Diesel, 5 SPD M/T Z/F S5-420, Rosewood 160cc Stage 1's, PHP Tuner, 6637, Short Throw Shift Kit, Valair Kevlar/Ceramic, 140V IDM, T-500, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR. Steyr C9-A1.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Post Fiend

nice link mark.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Senior User

Thanks for the cold startup link, I read it before I left Cali but had it on the back burner since... Ill have to do some diagnostics to figure out whats going on with mine.

Tayln, Thanks for the info, I know I can do the Stancore upgrade on mine, I had done some reading on it in the past. Im still trying to familiarize myself with all of the basic parts and concepts of the diesel....its all so new to me, I cant even identify the parts yet! Luckily at first glance it appears that I DO NOT have a Cali truck.....but I will investigate a little more to be certain. When I tried to start it up it just cranked and cranked....puffed a bunch of white smoke when it started and the fired up....laboriously. The service engine soon light came on and then turned off after driving about 15 miles.

Ill get into it in a few days, I check in to work tomorrow and then have 10 more days off so Ill have to dedicate some time to the truck.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Post Fiend

well, the thing to know is how much plugging it in is effecting the crank over at start up.

if you gotta crank and crank no matter what, you might have Hpop bleedback, or loosing fuel pressure someplace.

To bad you live to far away, id' help ya out with it.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Post Fiend

just another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fordelis View Post
Thanks for the cold startup link, I read it before I left Cali but had it on the back burner since... Ill have to do some diagnostics to figure out whats going on with mine.

Tayln, Thanks for the info, I know I can do the Stancore upgrade on mine, I had done some reading on it in the past. Im still trying to familiarize myself with all of the basic parts and concepts of the diesel....its all so new to me, I cant even identify the parts yet! Luckily at first glance it appears that I DO NOT have a Cali truck.....but I will investigate a little more to be certain. When I tried to start it up it just cranked and cranked....puffed a bunch of white smoke when it started and the fired up....laboriously. The service engine soon light came on and then turned off after driving about 15 miles.

Ill get into it in a few days, I check in to work tomorrow and then have 10 more days off so Ill have to dedicate some time to the truck.
So.. how did it go?? Figure it out?

My name is Pat, i have not purchased a firearm in 2
day (s). I am Strong, I dont need another Firearm, I am happy purchasing ammo for the fire arms I have. Purchasing the wrong ammo is not an excues to buy another firearm.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Senior User

Not yet, instead of fixing it, I took the time to clean up the garage and figure out if it would fit in there....and surprise surprise, it does! So now I don't have to plug it in OR fix anything! Ok, Ok, I'm gonna fix it, I just have to get my tools all out and organized first.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Post Fiend

just another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputation
Good call.. its nice when you have a warm place to work..one day I will feel that comfort..one day. See, mine doent fit.. Who in their right mind makes a garage door only 6'7".

My name is Pat, i have not purchased a firearm in 2
day (s). I am Strong, I dont need another Firearm, I am happy purchasing ammo for the fire arms I have. Purchasing the wrong ammo is not an excues to buy another firearm.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Elder User

Capital Customs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another truck View Post
Good call.. its nice when you have a warm place to work..one day I will feel that comfort..one day. See, mine doent fit.. Who in their right mind makes a garage door only 6'7".

do not know. but it sounds like you got one.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...id=170058&.jpg ( TIM ) 2005 F 250 KING RANCH SUPER DUTY 4 DR. CREW CAB. 6.0L PSD. custom paint,custom sound system,24"wheels,nerf bars,hard cover with wing,custom hood.and alot more. took 42 trophies.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Senior User

The great thing is that I have an awesome natural gas heater already installed, you can see it in the pic with the cover off. I need to do some weatherproofing before Ill just let my money go out the window though! Another thing about my garage is that I think they built the opening to big and had to shrink it down to fit a standard "cheap" door. So I have a header that it about 10 2x4s tall! So in the future if I lift the truck, I can just shrink the header and put in a bigger door. Loving trucks is difficult sometimes!

Old 03-07-2011, 05:21 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Michigan Chapter

Tags
fordelis, logo, mitten, semper, smitten