Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Holy Cow!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:01 PM
JS in Alaska
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy Cow!

I don't usually use an additive, but I put 8oz of Diesel Kleen, and 8 oz of 2 cycle oil in each tank of my '89 7.3 IDI. I can't believe how QUIET it is. It's almost as quiet as the Duratrash motors at work. I am definately using this on each fill up now!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:25 PM
fordhorse
Mountain Pass
atf is great stuff too (the old type F) works better than diesel kleen but it turns the fuel red

Old 02-27-2011, 07:32 PM
JS in Alaska
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fordhorse
atf is great stuff too (the old type F) works better than diesel kleen but it turns the fuel red

Ok i have a question.. I was reading about people using ATF, and that they were worried about their fuel turning red... now who is dipping your tanks? It's not like you're going through the weigh station with a privately owned pickup. Is this during some kind of IM / inspection or getting pulled over? Just curious. Up here the only place where cars need inspections are in Anchorage, and Diesel trucks are EXEMPT from it.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Jayme Duty
Elder User
i was curious about this also. What exactly does ATF do it the fuel and how does it help.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:44 PM
fordhorse
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by JS in Alaska
Ok i have a question.. I was reading about people using ATF, and that they were worried about their fuel turning red... now who is dipping your tanks? It's not like you're going through the weigh station with a privately owned pickup. Is this during some kind of IM / inspection or getting pulled over? Just curious. Up here the only place where cars need inspections are in Anchorage, and Diesel trucks are EXEMPT from it.
some times here in Ohio if a D.O.T cop sees you pulling a horse or livestock trailer they will pull you over to stick the tank and wiegh you

Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
I wouldnt recomend using aft in your fuel. The local diesel shop owner told me aft has tiny fibers in it that can wear the bore of the pump i dont know how long it would take but i dont want to test it on my pump.. 2cycle oil and diesel kleen seem to work best. Another cheaper option i have used is non-detergent 30w oil.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 PM
JS in Alaska
Freshman User
2 Cycle oil is pretty cheap, I think the small 16 oz bottle I picked up at Walmart was $2.03. (so about $1.00 per tank per fillup) They have a gallon jug of Diesel Kleen for $17.89 as well. Not sure If I would use ATF either, 2 Cycle oil is made to go through an engine.. ATF not so much, but to each his own.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
2 cycle yes, and for some ATF seems to save lives and whatnot. either way, i think that 2 cycle like the redline stuff i use sometimes helps a lot for sound but i just wish we could get some science behind it, is the reduced noise smoother operation or slowed/inefficient operation or something? i like it but some people freak when i tell them i use it. Yawn, their strokes just cant hang with me, especially now! lol

Old 02-27-2011, 10:13 PM
fordhorse
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 84-6.9L
I wouldnt recomend using aft in your fuel. The local diesel shop owner told me aft has tiny fibers in it that can wear the bore of the pump i dont know how long it would take but i dont want to test it on my pump.. 2cycle oil and diesel kleen seem to work best. Another cheaper option i have used is non-detergent 30w oil.
i don't see how this can be true wouldn't it wear out the pump in your trans as far as using it gos i don't use it all the time i put a quart in the tank one time and i don't know what it did but after running it hard with that stuff in there my turbo started working right and the truck runs better now i put diesel kleen in every tank because the diesel today sucks compared to the stuff when our trucks were new

Old 02-27-2011, 10:31 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
atf type F helps because it lubricates and cleans your ip and injectors. red dye fuel is non road taxed and sometimes cops can pull you over and check it. usually if it looks like your a farm truck. doubt anyone would get pulled though. and if they check your fuel, see if its red its still not illegal, they would have to check the fuel to see if its the non taxed farm fuel or not. its a special compound mixed in, not just red dye.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:39 PM
JS in Alaska
Freshman User
Originally Posted by oreocreaming
atf type F helps because it lubricates and cleans your ip and injectors. red dye fuel is non road taxed and sometimes cops can pull you over and check it. usually if it looks like your a farm truck. doubt anyone would get pulled though. and if they check your fuel, see if its red its still not illegal, they would have to check the fuel to see if its the non taxed farm fuel or not. its a special compound mixed in, not just red dye.

Doesn't Diesel Kleen clean your IP and injectors ?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:45 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JS in Alaska
Doesn't Diesel Kleen clean your IP and injectors ?
ya, but atf is a ton cheaper. Arder and harder to find "type F" in gallons, but if you do it's very helpful. When you change your fuel filter, just fill it with atf. Helps the priming too

Old 02-27-2011, 11:01 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
The tollerances between the tranny pump and the ip are WAY different the ip is far tighter and of different material im told those fibers in the atf help the clutch packs in the tranny grip.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:30 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
Fuel keeps going up I am going to start burning motor oil.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:01 AM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oreocreaming
Thank you, I read the same thing. AFAIK, they must use a special litmus test which will look for the exact chemical compound that goes into marked fuel - which is not the same as the red die found in ATF.

Originally Posted by catfish101
Fuel keeps going up I am going to start burning motor oil.
I burned a mix of used AFT and WMO that was then mixed with 50% diesel (so roughly 25% ATF, 25% WMO and 50% strait diesel). Although I usually ran a 'leaner' mix with less oil.

I made a point of starting up and shutting down on strait fuel to prevent too much stumbling at cold start but it would still start. Other then that, the engine seemed to make more torque before producing the smoke from over fuelling. I ended up getting a new pump and got busy so I was weary of spoiling the warranty and simply didn't have the time to mix and filter the oil anymore.

Although considering one gallon of burned oil = $4 of fuel right now, I wish I did have the time. I can say for sure the performance was noticeably better than with strait ULSD **** water.

I didn't run it long enough to make fair comment on whether or not it was affecting my reliability but I hear of some guys that get away with strait waste oil for thousands of miles.