Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Power steering line - what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Myfreeford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power steering line - what do I do?

Truck: 75 F250 460, 2WD, power steering.

Ok, try to picture this as I describe it. Here are two lines connected to the steering gear box - one looks new (left) and the other one looks nasty (right). The one on the right extends from the gear box shown in this photo, down to the lower part of the engine bay...(see next picture)

This is a continuation of the same hose as it winds back and forth before returning back up to the back of the power steering pump...(see the next photo)

This is the other end of that same line as it connects to the power steering pump with section of rubber hose.

This line is squirting power steering fluid out up along a straight section between its connection to the steering box (you can see all of the ps fluid that has sprayed out) and where it turns to go down into the section where it is bent back and forth.

Since this is one long piece that connects from one end to the other, how do I replace it? It does not seem to be a pre-fabbed part that is available from any parts stores.
What do I use to replace this?
What do I ask for when I go to the auto parts store?
Is it actually brake line that has been bent to fit in such a way?
If so, do I need one that is so long or can I get by with a much shorter section?

Any useful information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:57 PM
351coupe
Elder User
If its leaking where it connects to the box,which is what it looks like...you can cut the bad end off, get a new section of the right size line from Napa,etc and reconnect the two with a compression union.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:59 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I do believe you are talking about the power steering cooler. The long line from the PS box that extends forward and down, back and forth and eventually connecting to the PS pump. If there is a break in that line it can be repaird with a piece of good hose since it carries very little pressure. IMO, fuel line would work. Cut the line near the leak, insert a piece of hose a couple inches each side of the leak and clamp on each end of the hose.
The cooler is available. LMC truck has it. A person with good accetyline torch skills can repair it also. The hose trick will get you back on the road while the new cooler is coming. IMO, a good hose section repair is as good as a replacement cooler.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:07 PM
79 f350ts
Posting Guru
that is a power steering cooler line it keeps the fluid from overheating in severe service on heavy duty trucks. not sure about mainstream parts houses, but LMC used to carry it. Also try bronco graveyard, npd and denniss carpenter. hope this helps

Old 02-27-2011, 04:33 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 202 Likes on 160 Posts
Inline tube makes the power steering cooler in both regular and stainless steel.
Aftermarket suppliers also make power steering return lines that delete the cooler and hook directly from the pump to the steering box.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:42 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm with Mikeo0o0o0.. ditch the long, looping hard line and replace it with hose and take the opportunity to run a finned cooler btwn the steering gear and pump since they're dirt cheap.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Myfreeford
Senior User
Thanks for the info. I had a learning experience last night - not usually a moment of smiles when this happens. I was certain that the leak was coming from the return line and not the pressure hose since I just replace the pressure hose. However, after doing a temporary repair, I found that the leak is actually in the pressure hose that I just replaced 3 weeks ago.

But, since I already cut into the return line in an attempt to repair it (which was not needed) I decided to get a p/s cooler and install that rather than another bypass line.

Hopefully Napa will be able to swap the one I just replaced with another one - It does not appear to have been rubbing on anything - not sure why it would be leaking already.

On the bright side - its a good thing I am not a surgeon...Could you imagine that conversation?

"I am sorry Mrs. Smith, but it seems that I have cut the wrong artery to your husbands heart. On the bright side, this was a learning experience and I will be more careful on the next patient. Oh, and here is the name of my malpractice insurance company and my lawyer - you are probably going to want those."

Old 02-28-2011, 04:59 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Myfreeford

Hopefully Napa will be able to swap the one I just replaced with another one - It does not appear to have been rubbing on anything - not sure why it would be leaking already.

.."
Probably made off shore. You know, the stuff that almost fits sometimes and almost works sometimes and almost lasts sometimes.
I got a filter from NAPA the other day that was made in Russia. We'll see how that lasts and works.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Myfreeford
Thanks for the info. I had a learning experience last night - not usually a moment of smiles when this happens. I was certain that the leak was coming from the return line and not the pressure hose since I just replace the pressure hose. However, after doing a temporary repair, I found that the leak is actually in the pressure hose that I just replaced 3 weeks ago.
On the bright side - its a good thing I am not a surgeon...Could you imagine that conversation?
With any human system, errors are bound to happen... a few months ago there was a patient who got the wrong foot amputated. There was also a couple in the mid-south who went in for invitro fertilization and the wrong sperm was used to spawn her egg.... the baby was born..... Lo and behold the kid had an awesome tan cuz the little guy was half black!!

Talk about a f**k up! How do you "correct" THAT one?!!! Doh!!

If the store won't take it back, take it to a hydraulic shop to have a new line made. I had them make me up custom hybrid line since I had the parts for my PS swap... a Ford fitting on one end and a GM fitting on the other so I can run my Ford pump with the Saginaw steering box. The only year this configuration was used was in 1976 F100/F150 4x4s with an FE.