2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phaser Tick Fix without replacing Phasers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 02:02 PM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phaser Tick Fix without replacing Phasers.

Ok on another forum I been visiting... I found some nice information, and I can now confirm this works myself. That phaser noise that everyone says or claims will end up being the end to your Triton motor if its not fixed, is not actually the phasers. At least for me and everyone else on the forum that has tried this. Its apparently completely related to the VCT sensors. Replacing both got rid of the diesel tick completely. Its gone. So 1100 dollars a side phasers, which they replace the VCT sensors anyway normally, or a VCT sensor that cost 140 bucks and is easy to fix?

Before
YouTube - Before VCT

After
YouTube - VID 20110224 111731

http://www.howstuffinmycarworks.com/VCT_Solenoid.html Click Here for an easy tutorial on how to do it. As I said its best to replace them. I can't confirm that cleaning them would get rid of your tick. You will also wanna buy new seals for them, as the new sensor does not come with the seals. There are two of these fellas remember...

Old 02-27-2011, 05:02 PM
ryan70asu
Senior User
That's great. Is the sensor easily accesible or is this a job for the shop?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:08 PM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
VCT Solenoid Very easy to do yourself. Heres a DIY its best to replace the sensor. I can confirm my tick is GONE. Truck does not sound like a diesel. I have never replaced my cam phasers.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:09 PM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
VCT Solenoid Click Here.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:10 PM
rodinator1234
New User
That's great. How many miles are on the truck? In the second video, I was thinking this is a trick or something bc there is so much less noise.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:13 PM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
The truck is from a guy called "StuckZipper" on another forum. The truck as he stated in as post, is a 04 F150 with 172k miles on it, and has never had the phasers repaired.

My truck is the same thing, 04 F150 with 133k never had phasers replaced. No noise what so ever since replacing these. Do not believe the bs the stealership feeds you, its not the phasers themselves. Its these neat little sensors...

Old 02-27-2011, 05:15 PM
rodinator1234
New User
Could you tell if there was any junk or anything on the old one? What causes these to go bad? Electrical problems, or oil passage clogging problems?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:31 PM
ryan70asu
Senior User
Thanks for the article on how to replace. Seems pretty easy. I'm gonna have to give this a try. I thought I could live with the tick, as it seemed like it would always be part of this motor but lately it's been driving me nuts. I have a lift so the noise out of the wheel wells is insane.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:41 PM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
Mine didn't look to bad... I have no idea... but the problem is gone. No more ticking.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:14 PM
robsf150
New User
I replaced both vct solenoids on my 04 f150 5.4 170k about 3 months ago.and the noise was gone, FOR ABOUT A WEEK then the diesel noise came back. I'll live with the noise cost me 300 bucks. truck doesnt run any better.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:17 PM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
Mine hasn't came back. Been running the **** outta it.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:29 PM
robsf150
New User
hope it works for you, just saying for everyone not to run out and spend the money just yet. How long since you changed them

Old 02-28-2011, 11:02 AM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
You probably got a bad sensor again.... I'd take them back, and get a new set to make sure. There is a few guys that have had theirs over a few weeks and it hasn't came back. My buddy had his phasers replaced, and got stuck with a huge bill, and they even claimed he had a stuck lifter. When he took the truck in it was running fine other then the annoying tick. He got it back, it still had the tick. he changed those two sensors, hasn't ticking sense. Almost a week on mine, and I even took it out in and went mudding in it, raw hiding the **** outta it. No luck on getting it to tick. It sounds so quiet... it had a bit of a tick but it sounds just like a brand new F150 does, because my neighbor has one. Think thats just the pulley's or something. What causes this issue is supposedly sludge build up on them... So if you haven't changed the oil with a proper motorcraft oil filter, and the 5w20 recommended by Ford, then you may have some sludge build up in your motor, and would explain why once you put the new ones on it still ticked, or you could be one of the select few who actually have a phaser bad, but I am telling you this problem isn't as common as Ford would like us to believe.

Also I spent 94 dollars a piece on these sensors... A lot less then 300, and that was from my dealership here in Kentucky. The seals weren't stupid expensive either. Replaced them as well...

Old 02-28-2011, 02:22 PM
VAXB
Senior User
I gotta believe that the solenoids fail due to trash or sludge building up in them since they operate off of oil pressure. So if your noise comes back, I bet you have sludge build up in the engine and it just contaminated the new sensors. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:32 PM
parrfict
Junior User
tick

I took my 04 f150 truck in back in dec, I have extended warrenty on it till 2012. My truck now has 65000 miles on it has made this ticking noise since about 30000 miles. When the dealership looked into it and tore it apart they said it was the phazers. after they replaced them, find out it didnt do much, might have quiet it down a lil , but not much. The warrenty I have Is the Mechanic.......NOTE: NEVER, EVER, EVER Purchase a warrenty from them. I googled the company and couldnt believe the hundreds of complaints i red about them. They Are complete A HOLES. They told me that they will not do any more with my truck ticking because they feel its lack of maint. because I didnt have proof of 2 of my oil changes. Which I did on my own, all the rest every 3000 -3300 miles was done at the dealer of garage, and did have proof. But anyways, the warenty comp replaced the phazers. Still have the tick, and it driving me crazy. Sound like a manifold gasket leak, but will not change after warming up. I have been running seafoam in the engine now this last oil change to clean out any sludge build up that seems to be an issue with these motors, and hoping it would maybe help with the tick but no luck. Im gonna look into these sensors a lil more and hope to find out its my fix.

Thanks for the heads up and good luck to the rest of you with the ticking noise.

Quick Reply: Phaser Tick Fix without replacing Phasers.