1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Pic Request: Air Cleaner PCV Elbow

Old 02-26-2011, 06:02 PM
ctubutis
Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
That looks like the elbow that is inserted in the oil cap.
Probably came from an engine where it fit into a valve cover grommet, guess it could just
as easily fit into an oil filler cap grommet. I collected a bunch of this stuff during my
engine-rebuild project cuz I wasn't sure exactly what I would be needing.

Hope this didn't cause confusion......

Old 02-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My '86 doesn't have a the small filter inside the air cleaner housing. A black plastic angled connector, somewhat similar but not the same as what ctubis showed, connects from the air filter housing to a tube that runs to a nozzled "breather cap" (which contains a filter) that penetrates through a grommet into the valve cover.

I also had trouble finding exact replacements for my setup - which I figured was stock because the components say "Ford" on them. In paticular I could never locate the filterless black angled connector that twist-connects from the outside into the hole on the air cleaner housing. So I kept using that piece. I finally did find the correct nozzled "breather cap" filter unit that goes into the valve cover, though.

Do any of these components sound like what you are looking for?

Old 02-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

To be clear - no online parts search I have ever conducted has ever come up with PCV components like the ones found on my truck. My truck does NOT have the small rectangular piece of white filter material held in a black plastic holder inside the air cleaner housing, and which is held in place by a curved metal spring clip placed on the outside of the air cleaner housing.

But something like that is what I see whenever I do a search for PCV components for my model truck. And my truck does not have the oil filler cap as part of the PCV system. All Haynes/Chiltons manuals say that is what to expect, but my oil filler cap is just a solid cap, not part of the PCV system.

I finally found a Fram replacement for the valve-cover mounted, push-in PCV filter with a nozzle like found on my truck.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:54 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Gal, I'm not sure based upon your description but perhaps before you got it the PO disabled the PCV system for some retarded reason? You never know what you will find in a powed truck and when you buy it they sure as hell won't tell you.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by glovemeister
Gal, I'm not sure based upon your description but perhaps before you got it the PO disabled the PCV system for some retarded reason? You never know what you will find in a powed truck and when you buy it they sure as hell won't tell you.
You may be right - although the fastidious old man I bought my truck from was not a modifier in any way. So I did a google search and BAM - this is *exactly* what my "as is" PCV components look like (below). Is this wierd or does anyone else have these components?

Old 02-27-2011, 02:57 AM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Wow thats neat I like that. I wonder if its an addon or something they did at the factory?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:45 AM
ctubutis
Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Galendor
You may be right - although the fastidious old man I bought my truck from was not a modifier in any way. So I did a google search and BAM - this is *exactly* what my "as is" PCV components look like (below). Is this wierd or does anyone else have these components?

Looks to me like somebody has been trying to remove the "crap" on the engine, AKA the
smog controls.

Many people I see out here who (try to) do this have no idea what they're doing and
end up creating more problems than they had to begin with.

Not only is the PCV system disabled in that picture but look in the upper RH corner
where there are a bunch of solenoids mounted, notice how their wires are missing....

Even though the fastidious old man may not have changed anything himself, perhaps
his teenage son "removed all that crap for him."

IIRC the PCV system has been in use by manufacturers at lest since the mid-1960s, and
I can see no reason other than ignorance to disable it.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:00 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I figured that pic was in a state of partial diassembly.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:28 AM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen that crankcase air intake before but can't remember exactly where. For some reason van keeps coming to mind. It seems that the feedback carb is still there, as well as all the other components. The wires and vacuum lines look disconnected as opposed to cut. If you can find a donor wiring and vacuum harness it might not be too tough to make this truck right.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by ctubutis
Looks to me like somebody has been trying to remove the "crap" on the engine, AKA the
smog controls.

Many people I see out here who (try to) do this have no idea what they're doing and
end up creating more problems than they had to begin with.

Not only is the PCV system disabled in that picture but look in the upper RH corner
where there are a bunch of solenoids mounted, notice how their wires are missing....

Even though the fastidious old man may not have changed anything himself, perhaps
his teenage son "removed all that crap for him."

IIRC the PCV system has been in use by manufacturers at lest since the mid-1960s, and
I can see no reason other than ignorance to disable it.
This picture is not my truck - it is some random picture I found on the internet. A random picture I stole off the internet of someone else's truck, because it showed a PCV setup and is easier that taking a picture.

I only showed this picture to illustrate the PCV elbow, tube and
cranckcase breather. They are the same as what occurs on my truck. I agree - the unknown truck in this picture has been butchered.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Here is my actual truck - although when I took this pic I was in the middle of a compromise solution for the PCV system. I have since replaced the PCV components shown here with a new crankcase breather.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:19 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Gal looks just like my 460 almost hahaha. Yours is much cleaner though in terms of paint and looks.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:30 AM
JimsRebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Galendor
To be clear - no online parts search I have ever conducted has ever come up with PCV components like the ones found on my truck. My truck does NOT have the small rectangular piece of white filter material held in a black plastic holder inside the air cleaner housing, and which is held in place by a curved metal spring clip placed on the outside of the air cleaner housing.

But something like that is what I see whenever I do a search for PCV components for my model truck. And my truck does not have the oil filler cap as part of the PCV system. All Haynes/Chiltons manuals say that is what to expect, but my oil filler cap is just a solid cap, not part of the PCV system.

I finally found a Fram replacement for the valve-cover mounted, push-in PCV filter with a nozzle like found on my truck.
Galendor... do you have a Part number for the Fram replacement you found? Can this be taken apart to clean or replace the air filter inside the round black part that has "ford" in the middle. I have looked on line for hours trying to find this part.
Today I am replacing my PCV valve due to oil in the bottom of the air cleaner an would like to replace the inlet air cleaner part of the PCV system as well as I am sure it is oil soaked. I am just no really sure what is inside the part, it might just be a plastic screen.
Here are some photo of my PCV system.
Jim

Old 04-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Coneynew
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
Does anyone have a picture of what the stock air cleaner PCV elbow looks like for the stock snorkel air cleaner for the 1980-1986 F150s? I am talking about the one that clips to the PCV filter on the side of the air cleaner, that then connects to a hose that attaches to the breather cap.

Thanks!
This is what came w/ my 1985 F-350

Old 04-24-2011, 01:06 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
This is what I found for a 1985 302-V8 with Carbed engine, which is what is pictured above...

Crankcase Breather Filter:
Motorcraft:# FA-675, Ford:# D8AZ-9D695-A: Avaliable

Crankcase ventalation Connector Elbow: Hose to Oil Filler Cap:
C8AZ-6767-A:

Crankcase Ventalation Grommet: Connector Elbow to oil Filler cap:
C8AZ-6A892-A

PCV Valve Grommet: PCV Valve to Valve Cover: E5TZ-6A892-B:

I could not find the elbow or the clip from the Hose to the Crankcase Breather filter at all.

Some of the parts on the 300 is different.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pic Request: Air Cleaner PCV Elbow