Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2011, 08:55 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
A nice, shiny, rust-free truck in your part of the country would have some value to it........
Old 02-23-2011, 10:06 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Gary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud of
I vote to do it. HOWEVER, make sure you go into it with the expectation that it will be a lot of work and expense.

Should you believe me? Just go read this page on my site where I've outlined what I've done to my truck in the last 8 months and what I still need to do: Vehicles: ?82 F150 Explorer

It has taken me 8 months to do all that and I'm retired, have an indoor place to do the work, and pretty much all the tools needed. As for the expense, I'd rather not tell you - and I still have the interior and body work to do. Hopefully your truck won't have as many problems and, therefore, won't take as much time nor money, but you will still be proud of what you've done. And, I'll bet your father will as well.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Posting Guru

Redneck1465 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Its really up to you and how much you like the truck. Sounds like it may have some sentimental value to it and if it does great. If it doesnt thats fine to. Don't let people tell you not to do it solely because its a 2wd. They are right this isnt a 69 Mustang that your gonna get a ton of money back on but if its something you want to do and you can learn when your doing it then I say go for it.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Postmaster

glovemeister is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
GL,

Nice link buddy. Dang good read! Any chance you will be adding receipts and a thread here to give people an idea of what it would cost to do a "stock" build. I am going to do that and add my pics of my restore but it will be far from original. More a daily driver flavor with some work truck aspects thrown in.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Postmaster

Redneck, very true. I've had lots of people tell me to not throw all my money into my Ford but it has more value than just being a pickup. It will be something that I did myself with help from family members. My skills and abilities are now so much better than before I started. I know about removing and painting the interior (I did that all myself). More engine work, sanded the truck down almost all by myself. I'm going to watch the paint spraying and try my hand at it.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Post Fiend

bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.
You could probably get a "scuff & shoot" paint job for under $500 or spend 2 k+.depending on how much you wanta spend and what condition the bodies in. I'd take it to a local body shop and ask for an estimate to do what you want, then decide if you would rather pay or spend a few 100 hrs doing it yourself.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Postmaster

Trust me its not worth it to pay someone. I sanded it all down and its really simple to paint it like stupidly so. I was lucky in that I had almost no rust and no dents. I sanded it all down to primer/metal in some areas, hit it with a primer sealer and then spray your top coat ( 3-4 times depending upon what you want for durability) and then buff it real good. I chose an acrylic enamel as its a pickup and I expect it to be scratched and dirty. No sense in spending money for an offroad.work truck for a clear coat which will get scratched.

I got a gallon of acylic enamel cali orange, hardener, reducer, primer sealer, pint of black (for mixing with the bed liner instead of the pricey uv stuff they have) all for roughly $300 bucks. It will take me about 4 hours to paint it all and it took my 8 hours for sanding it. Quite a bit more for removing all the panels and stuff and its fast since I am getting rid of the bed but none the less $2k for just a sand and spray job is too dang pricey as my grandpa would say.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Junior User

Satin_85 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I say go for it. I've had my truck since I was 16 and brought it back from the dead. It may be old and redneck, but it gets looks all the time. There aren't very many clean examples of these trucks around. That being said, after what I've been through with this truck, I'm never getting rid of it
Old 02-24-2011, 10:18 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Gary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovemeister View Post
GL,

Nice link buddy. Dang good read! Any chance you will be adding receipts and a thread here to give people an idea of what it would cost to do a "stock" build.
Glovemeister - Thanks. Hadn't planned to put the costs on that page as I wasn't sure I wanted anyone else to know - especially my wife, although she's seen all the bills but just hasn't added it all up. Anyway, after thinking about it I could do that if it would help others. And, maybe when/if I ever try to sell the truck the potential buyer can see why I want SOOOOO much!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Elder User

6fifty_f1fifty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.6fifty_f1fifty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
to the op, pictures are always welcomed here.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Elder User

Dorsai has a good reputation on FTE.Dorsai has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onus View Post
I'd do it. A nice looking 80-86 2wd or not will turn heads. Not many left on the road these days.
I'll second this. You can see the pictures of my '80 F-150, and it's nothing special - it's 2wd, it's a longbed, and it's pretty beat. And yet, I have people asking me about it all the time, or telling me what a great truck it is, they/their dad/their grandpa had one, et cetera et cetera. So I say fix it up - it'll look good, and people WILL notice.

Or...you can save your money and buy a shiny new Toyota 4x4, that nobody but you will ever give a crap about.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Senior User

Bulldog5.0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a really clean 86 f150 XLT Lariat for sale in the for sale section here. it's laees than it would cost get the one you have in shape. Make an offer
Old 02-24-2011, 11:59 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1986, 86, body, classic, f150, f250, ford, im, restore, restoring, truck, trucks, work, worth, xlt