Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PATS Ignition Key Programing Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 05:28 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a difference between cloning and programming. Make sure which one the shop/store is doing.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:00 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
The hardware stores and home centers clone an exiting key so there's no programming involved.

Cloned keys will work fine for normal vehicle operation but you cannot program new keys with two clones.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:42 AM
Putterpanther77
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ford dealer here said they would program an after market cut key for $45.
Also asked them how much to get the factory set code for my drivers door exterior keypad entry.They said that would be $45 too.Thats not too bad a quote I guess.

I have a question about programming the third key:
When you say turn it to ON for 1 sec do you mean turn the engine over
or just turn it to auxilary ON where the dash lights up?

Old 09-15-2014, 08:10 AM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Putterpanther77
I have a question about programming the third key:
When you say turn it to ON for 1 sec do you mean turn the engine over
or just turn it to auxilary ON where the dash lights up?
Turn the ignition switch to the Run position(dash lights up) without starting the engine.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Putterpanther77
Freshman User
Ace Hardware may be the solution

Thank-You!! I just got off the phone and the Ace Hardware here claims they have the programed keys and they cut them too for $59 total.Thats a little more but less hassle going to Ford to program them.Ace guarantees they will turn over the vehicle.Im going there after 1PM when the key guy is there. Gee I may have them today.After I get the 2nd key I can buy them on Ebay and program them myself. BOOYA!!!!!!

Old 09-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Captn B
Senior User
Thank-You!! I just got off the phone and the Ace Hardware here claims they have the programed keys and they cut them too for $59 total.Thats a little more but less hassle going to Ford to program them.Ace guarantees they will turn over the vehicle.Im going there after 1PM when the key guy is there. Gee I may have them today.After I get the 2nd key I can buy them on Ebay and program them myself. BOOYA!!!!!!
Can you let us know how it goes? I am especailly interested if you are able to program you 3rd key from the orginal and Ace Hardware key. I will go this route to if it works. Much better than giving the dealer $100 for 1 key.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:25 AM
Putterpanther77
Freshman User
I will post updates

Sure Ill get back and post an update if the Ace Hardware key worked.I Also will post after I get an Ebay key cut from the seller and I will program it.Keepin my fingers crossed!

Old 09-15-2014, 10:57 AM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

If they are just cloning the key, they won't go out to the vehicle. To actually program a new key(or delete a lost key), they'll need to plug into the truck with a laptop to modify the PATS key permissions.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Putterpanther77
Freshman User
I get it at last!

Ahhhh so Ace makes cloned keys that do turn over the engine but they cant be used to make master duplicate keys? If thats the case Ill just pay $21 more and get a master duplicate from Ford Dealer that I can use to make more keys.
Is that correct??
**************OH BROTHER********************
I just talked to a different person at Ford Dealer and they told me that as of 2 wks ago they wont cut aftermarket keys anymore.
So looks like its $80 for a REAL key if I want one to make more keys.It also takes about an hour to do it.
This towns business people drive me nuts.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:28 AM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Ahhhh so Ace makes cloned keys that do turn over the engine but they cant be used to make master duplicate keys? If thats the case Ill just pay $21 more and get a master duplicate from Ford Dealer that I can use to make more keys.
Is that correct??
**************OH BROTHER********************
I just talked to a different person at Ford Dealer and they told me that as of 2 wks ago they wont cut aftermarket keys anymore.
So looks like its $80 for a REAL key if I want one to make more keys.It also takes about an hour to do it.
This towns business people drive me nuts.
I don't know what Ace's capabilities are. I know I have a local locksmith that can plug in, and do any key work the dealers do. He's about half the price of the dealer.

Call around to the bigger lock shops in your area to see what they can do.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:43 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep, Ace ripped me off because at that time I wasn't aware of clones but I got the last laugh because there are 2 hardware stores in this town and I never set foot in there again..............but I still got ripped off.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:25 PM
Putterpanther77
Freshman User
I called 2 places here that are actual locksmiths.Neither one does any auto keys.
They just do file cabinet keys etc. No talent here!!

Old 09-15-2014, 03:43 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I called 2 places here that are actual locksmiths.Neither one does any auto keys.
They just do file cabinet keys etc. No talent here!!
I need a barrel key but nobody in this town will touch them .........oohhhh complicated

Old 10-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Putterpanther77
Freshman User
My3rd key is not programming

OK got a 2nd programmed key from ford today($80) and trying to program the 3rd key.Following the directions exactly but no luck.I am turning the keys to on where the dash lights come on and hold it there for 3 seconds each time.The 3rd key fits in the ignition but just runs and runs and it doesnt turn over.I dont know whats wrong.It messes up the computer too and I have to reprogram the 1st and 2nd key after trying to do the 3rd key to get them to work again.I want to make sure I got a bad key for sure before I attack the Ebay guy I bought the 3rd key from.

***I am going to try again and just hold it for 1 second********.
DANG...........it doesnt work!!

Old 10-10-2014, 12:24 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I recalled either Walmart or Home Depot or Pep Boys key cutting dept. has an electronic device that can detect if the key has a chip inside. They check that to make sure so they are more careful with the keys so the vibration from the key cutting machine doesn't mess it up. Or they decline to cut them to relieve them from the liability if the machine messes up the chip.

Quick Reply: PATS Ignition Key Programing Question