Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Did I just tear up my tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Rich in CO
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I just tear up my tranny

Two weeks ago I replaced my tranny coolers with a brand new 6.0 and did a complete flush with a new filter & Schaffers fluid, and every thing was running great shfits where great never saw temps above 140.

Well today on the way to work one of the tranny lines popped off and was dumping fluid, lucky for me I was an 1/2 block from a parts store. I re-clamped the lines with new clamps. I replaced the 8qts of fluid and have been driving her around and all shifts points are fine with the exception of 4th it's taking a lot longer to get that shift & my RPM looks like it fluttering while trying to get 4th and my temps are in the 150 range with short drives.

I have checked the fluid more time than I can count it's not low or over filled

Any ideas? I only have 30K on the tranny.

Thanks
Rich

Old 02-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I dumped three quarts when my trans peged the gauge once when I let it idle to help someone out that got stuck. Replaced it after it cooled down and drove it almost two years before I had to replace. It had 133,000 miles on it at that point,so you just don't know. Were you having problems before the 6.0tc was installed. I never see 150 on mine this time of year with my 6.o tc. I'm in calif., "unless towing heavy". Godd luck I know thats not what you want to here!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Rich in CO
Senior User
The trans ran perfect before I replaced the cooler & did the flush, and I think it shifted better after the flush and new cooler, but today that 4th shift is not right & the temps are high after I donated 8 qts of fluid. I'm going to giver her a spin later today to see if thing change?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:42 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Good luck with it Rich, man 8qts is darn near half the fluid. Hope you caught it in time before it burnt something up.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Rich in CO
Senior User
Thanks CJ,

A little update I blew out the cooler & line to see if they where clogged and thats why the temps where climbing, dorve her around temps are still up and I'm pretty sure the TC is slipping in 3rd. I took the truck out of OD and when the 3rd shift hits the RPM's jump & come back down and them climb back up?

Is that signs of a slipping TC

Old 02-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Rich in CO
Thanks CJ,

A little update I blew out the cooler & line to see if they where clogged and thats why the temps where climbing, dorve her around temps are still up and I'm pretty sure the TC is slipping in 3rd. I took the truck out of OD and when the 3rd shift hits the RPM's jump & come back down and them climb back up?

Sorry to say but it sounds like it is dusted.You can put it off buy I bet it time for new trans & TC. Keep us informed, God Bless Chet

Old 02-22-2011, 08:56 PM
BDalton
Senior User

Did you replace the 8 qts with the same brand ATF? Not sure if that would cause a problem, unless it was not the right fluid or if you mixed synthetic wth regular? Just thinking out loud.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Rich in CO
Senior User
I had to use 4 qts of Royal purple & 4 qts of Mobil 1 but they did have the correct mercon specs as Schaffer & both were Syn.

I'm not positive but I was told there could be two possible causes for my slippage. #1 was since it slips in 3rd gear was to drive the truck with the OD out & if it didn't slip, but did slip with the OD engaged it was a tranny issue, but if it did slip with the OD out it was a TC issue?

I'm hoping thats true since it slips with the OD out. I would rather replace just a TC.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

I had to use 4 qts of Royal purple & 4 qts of Mobil 1 but they did have the correct mercon specs as Schaffer & both were Syn.

I'm not positive but I was told there could be two possible causes for my slippage. #1 was since it slips in 3rd gear was to drive the truck with the OD out & if it didn't slip, but did slip with the OD engaged it was a tranny issue, but if it did slip with the OD out it was a TC issue?

I'm hoping thats true since it slips with the OD out. I would rather replace just a TC.
Brian at BTS did say not to run Syn., I beleive cause it was not good for the TC. But if this is a 2000 truck with stock trans and TC I would do both because you will be doing both in short order. If it was newer and low miles then TC would be cool. My 2cents

Old 02-23-2011, 06:05 AM
Rich in CO
Senior User
Thaks for the info Bonanza, The tranny is not stock it was completly re-built about 30K ago by a local builder I didn't have the $$ for a BTS @ the time.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:27 AM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Maybe a call to BTS would help, IDK but I've heard Brian has helped a lot of folks out over the phone & he might be able to advise on just changing the TC. Just thinking out loud, Good Luck Rich

Old 02-23-2011, 06:40 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,141 Posts
Brian said Mobil 1 will kill this trans in a heartbeat. Hope its not too late for ya...

Old 02-23-2011, 06:44 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,141 Posts
Thanks CJ,

Sounds like 3rd gear slipping to me. I think TC would be swishy all the time... (i could redline RPM's with my old trans anytime TC wasnt locked)

Old 02-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You may want to shoot Mark Kovalsky a PM to pick his brain too.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Brian said Mobil 1 will kill this trans in a heartbeat. Hope its not too late for ya...
What is the reason behind this statement? I haven't had any problems with the Mobil 1 Syn fluid, but then again I also don't have stock friction materials in my clutch paks or TC. I've been using the Mobil 1 for last 4yrs since the rebuild and upgrades.

Quick Reply: Did I just tear up my tranny