1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0L SHUTS OFF WHILE DRIVING

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Keven55
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0L SHUTS OFF WHILE DRIVING

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I need some help...

I have a 2006 F350 6.0L Diesel with about 72,000 miles on it. It has been the best truck ever, but just about two weeks ago it started doing something real strange. While driving, and it seems to only be at slow speeds, (idle or just accelerating), the truck will shut off the engine. And it is always in this order, it will first "pop" all the speakers real loud, then the radio will reset, (go to the AM radio and shuffle through my 6 disc changer) and then the engine will shut off. Once I bring the truck to a stop and put it into park, it will then start back up with no problems at all. There is nothing I can seem to piece together as to when it will do it other then it seems to only be at slow speeds... Besides that, it is completely random. One day it did it four times, and then it didn't do it for the next few days at all... The only thing that has changed over last 2 weeks is that, the last few times that it has done it, it didn't kill the engine, it still poped the speakers like normal and then reset the radio, but didn't shut off the engine.

I am totally lost, I've spoken with a few other guys that have SD's and they have never heard of such a thing. Please help if you can! I'm looking for anything that might help me to figure out what's going on.

Thanks,
Keven

Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Interesting. When the engine dies, do you have a CEL? Have you tried getting it scanned for DTC's?

Also, do you happen to have steering wheel radio controls?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:16 PM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like it is loosing electrical current,,,with the pop in the speakers,,radio resetting,,,Is it charging OK ? Wondering about an Alternator problem?

My sister had a T-Bird,,,,the Dash would light up crazy like,,,everything would come on,,,,it was the Alternator !

Several months back,,there was a Post about a Main Electrical Terminal Connection,,under a plastic cover on the drivers side, lower/mid inner fender,,,,this terminal was all corroded,,and the truck was shutting off,,,,Think I will give my truck a look also !!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Keven55
New User
Thanks for the reply bpounds... To answer your questions, the truck does have the steering wheel radio controls, but they have always worked perfectly.

As for the CEL, when the motor initially shuts down, all the lights come on, ABS, Batt light, CEL, ect... But as soon as soon as you turn the ignition off and then on again they are all off, and everything looks right.

It would be worth the time to scan it I guess, but like I mentioned, the Check Engine Light is not on.

????

Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Keven55
New User
Thanks for all the suggestions m350.

As for the alternator, I kind of ruled that out because the batts are less then a year old, and they have a full charge. When I go to re-start the truck it turns over just as normal. But maybe there is something else I should be looking for.???

I am going to check the main electrical terminal connection though. I know exactly where that is that your referring to, and I haven't looked at it yet.

Thanks again

Old 02-22-2011, 08:36 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Keven55
Thanks for the reply bpounds... To answer your questions, the truck does have the steering wheel radio controls, but they have always worked perfectly.

As for the CEL, when the motor initially shuts down, all the lights come on, ABS, Batt light, CEL, ect... But as soon as soon as you turn the ignition off and then on again they are all off, and everything looks right.

It would be worth the time to scan it I guess, but like I mentioned, the Check Engine Light is not on.

????
I think it would be worth having it scanned for codes. Just because the CEL light goes off does not mean there are no codes stored.

I asked about the radio controls, because I was thinking of the VSS circuit, which goes to the radio and also goes up the steering column for the cruise control. I was thinking possible short in the column sending a crazy signal to the VSS. That might cause the speaker burst. Just something to think about. I like the alternator idea too. You've got a weird one there.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:52 AM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Give the ground cables a good check.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:18 PM
egregg57
Elder User
Originally Posted by Keven55
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I need some help...

I have a 2006 F350 6.0L Diesel with about 72,000 miles on it. It has been the best truck ever, but just about two weeks ago it started doing something real strange. While driving, and it seems to only be at slow speeds, (idle or just accelerating), the truck will shut off the engine. And it is always in this order, it will first "pop" all the speakers real loud, then the radio will reset, (go to the AM radio and shuffle through my 6 disc changer) and then the engine will shut off. Once I bring the truck to a stop and put it into park, it will then start back up with no problems at all. There is nothing I can seem to piece together as to when it will do it other then it seems to only be at slow speeds... Besides that, it is completely random. One day it did it four times, and then it didn't do it for the next few days at all... The only thing that has changed over last 2 weeks is that, the last few times that it has done it, it didn't kill the engine, it still poped the speakers like normal and then reset the radio, but didn't shut off the engine.

I am totally lost, I've spoken with a few other guys that have SD's and they have never heard of such a thing. Please help if you can! I'm looking for anything that might help me to figure out what's going on.

Thanks,
Keven
I had that problem twice today. I will get a scan and check this terminal. Where can I find the terminal!?

Old 12-08-2012, 09:05 AM
chief780
New User
Does anyone know if the problem was found with this thread. I am having the same problem with my 6.0 with the exception of the speakers popping.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:58 AM
SmokyMountain
New User
If your batteries are for sure good (load tested individually), then clean all your battery cables and post as well as all block grounds. I use a dremel type tool with a small steel brush to clean the terminal ends of the cables really well. Electrical gremlins are hard to chase down. Start here as this is the most low cost thing you can do and is the problem the majority of the time.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:57 PM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
I have had a similar issue with past truck. It turned out to be an internal short in the battery. It got worse, then the battery finally went into total failure, which is how I found the issue. That battery was about 10 months old.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It sounds like truck thinks you turned the key off momentarily.
Could be chaffed ignition wire(s) on the steering
Column too. Or loose baterry cable.
Radio resetting to am, makes me think
battery power interrupted, try wiggling cables.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I know that this is very old. But as Redford has said
I also have had that happen with a cell shorting inside the battery.
Trucks acts just like the key was turned off.

Sean

Old 07-27-2013, 04:53 PM
bskkk85
New User
truck shut off while driving

I was driving on the road and we went over a speed bump and all of a sudden our truck had shut off and we have a2005 f250 ford turbo diesel which is a 6.0 don't know what is wrong with so parked it in the parking lot left it over night to cool down and went back the next day to start it up, It cracks but it won't start. what could the problem be?

Old 07-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Welcome to FTE

The first easy thing to do is make sure that all three plugs on the bottom of the FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module)
are snapped into place.
Second thing to do is come on over to 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
At the top of the 6.0 Forum is a Tech Folder read the no start section. Here is a direct link https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ch-folder.html

The third thing is come on over to the 6.0 forum because you get more attention form people that own, drive, work on and love the 6.0
Sorry Super Duty guys but there a few that just don't know a 6.0 as well and this is an older thread.
So bring the engine questions over here 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

The guys in the Super Duty are good bunch.

Sean

EDIT : I forgot something like the SGII from http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/
Is a verry useful tool to have with this truck to help keep it on the road and you will find
that you are going to be asked if you have any live data from gauges and this fits the bill
if you don't already have any gauges or scan tools.