2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was looking for input on JL sub enclosure - decision made

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:28 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Was looking for input on JL sub enclosure - decision made

So, I've read some great things about this flat enclosure from JL Audio. I'm really trying to find someone here that may have this, has previously used this, knows someone that has it in a 04-08 Scab or SCrew.

JL Audio FlatWedge 8"
JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 Subwoofer systems

I think that the fitment will be TIGHT underneath the back seat, driver's side, because of the contour of the floor. I'm looking for a nice budget friendly way to improve the low end in my SCrew. I'm not looking to rattle my brains or blow anyone out of the truck. Just looking to provide the lows that the 2ways in the doors cannot. I've looked at Bazooka's basstubes but no one around here installs them, and I'm a firm believer in paying the little bit extra to have a professional do the install.

I appreciate anything you've got to offer up.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:10 PM
alfack
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used one similar to this:

Sub box

I put two JL 10" subs in it. It works well, but is a tight fit and you have to find somewhere else to put your jack.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:02 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alfack
I used one similar to this:

Sub box

I put two JL 10" subs in it. It works well, but is a tight fit and you have to find somewhere else to put your jack.
I used the exact same box and love it. I did have to move the jack but since I have a toolbox in the back I just threw it in there. I believe you can also get a single sub box similar to that one.

Also if you are looking to get it professionally installed most likely a customization shop will know exactly what to do or how to build a box.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:05 PM
1bad67sbf
Posting Guru
if its made from JL audio it will be good. i have had great luck with their stuff in the past. i almost got one of the sub boxes for my 07 but it sounds good now and i want to put a full system in my 92 gt instead. i say get it!!!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:05 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordtruckman
I used the exact same box and love it. I did have to move the jack but since I have a toolbox in the back I just threw it in there. I believe you can also get a single sub box similar to that one.

Also if you are looking to get it professionally installed most likely a customization shop will know exactly what to do or how to build a box.
If money were not an option at this point then I'd have the JL stealthbox installed with a nice monoblock amp and be done with it. Unfortunately my budget speaks the loudest these days.
The shop I'm dealing with, that did my HU back in September, can build me a custom compact enclosure, but with the price of the sub and an amp added to it, I'm back to within 20% of the cost of the JL stealthbox.
Sucks being on a budget, but such is life being recently married and trying to save up for the wife's new ride and a new house soon.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:25 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hear you on the budget thing. I believe when I did mine the box was $99 and with shipping it came to $140 then I added two Rockford fosgate P1s that were on sale ($100 for 2) and the amp was on closeout for $49. So total for my low end set up was around $300. I was a little skeptical on the amp though because it was from a brand I had never heard of and it was dirt cheap but almost 4 years now and she is still kickin.

I did the install myself however so I saved on labor. I installed the amp under the passenger seat and ran all the wires etc. Took a good 3-4 hours but it was worth it in the end. I have been thinking about moving my amp to behind the rear seats but haven't felt like taking it all apart. Someday.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:06 AM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I used a Q logic box in my F150. I put JL Audio w3s in it. It sounded great.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:09 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Thanks for the input fellas. I have used some JL subs in the past in a previous vehicle and was very impressed. I understand since then (about 10 yrs ago) that their products have come even further along.
I've heard great things about this little 8" W3 and the enclosure it's in. I think it'll fit nicely under the seat if I can get it on brackets, off the floor, following tightly to the seat bottom. It shouldn't protrude into the available legroom that way.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:14 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Went and visited the audio shop at lunch today. I asked them to look up that box from JL. The guys reaction was priceless.
"That's a $170 sub by itself, and then for another $70 you get a better than custom built box, backed by millions of $$ in engineering, specifically tuned for that sub? Sounds like I need to chat with the owner about stocking this box from now on."
When the shop manager says that, it makes me think I may have found a diamond in the rough.
I talked to him about mounting options, if we downfire the box, mounting it as close/tight to the seat bottom as possible, with two little bracketed "feet" from the box to the floor, then we should be golden with the size of everything. The amp will mount in the center section ontop of the tranny hump.
I got him to work me up a quote for the box, a JL monoblock amp, install etc and the price is great in my eyes. Should be able to pull the trigger on this in just a few weeks.