1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3000 Mile report 2011 F250 Lariat gasser

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Ross190
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3000 Mile report 2011 F250 Lariat gasser

Hello All,

New user here. I purchased at 2011 F-250 Lariat Ultimate package 3000 miles ago, trading in a GMC I purchased new and ran for about 80k.

New Truck: 2011 Ford F-250 Lariat, 6.2l Gasser, Ultimate package, Tuxedo Black, build 1 (two colored seats), 8’ Fisher X-blade stainless Plow.

Old truck: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD SLT, 6.0l Gas, 8’ Fisher X-Blade stainless plow.

Looks:

Ford wins this one hands down. The new Ford truck is probably the best looking truck on the market IMHO. The GMC looks a little tame in comparison. The new GMC just did not appeal to me, and is actually a step down from the 2004 in interior appointment and exterior looks.

Interior:

Surprisingly- Ford again. While GMC has always been know for their car-like interiors, the seat base always seemed a little short, and I felt “perched on the edge” Having just made a 600 mile round trip in the Ford, the comfort and ergonomics are better in the Ford.

The one complaint I have is with the turn signal indicator stalk. Do we really need to retrain ourselves on how to use this feature? Initially I was going from one direction to the other, high beams on then off, etc. I don’t drive miles with my directional on, and don’t appreciate having to relearn how to use a lever because of those that do (you know who you are).

Power:

The Ford seems to have plenty of power at the motor, but does a poor job of translating it to the tires. The 6 speed transmission sometimes seems to “fall on it’s face” during upshift from 1 to 2. A couple of times, I actually thought it had stalled. It seems to hunt for gears unnecessarily. GMC takes this one. It had much, much more torque off the line. I could literally smoke the tires off if I wanted to-Not so much on the Ford.

Initial build quality/Problems:

The first time I plowed with the new Ford, the “check 4 x 4” indicator came on and I could not get the thing into 4 high. I tried various rolling speeds, manually locking the hubs, nothing. Finally had to shut the truck off, start it again, and it was fine. This happens about 20% of the time when I attempt to engage 4 wheel drive. I have to turn the truck off, then restart and it is fine. This one will take a trip to the dealer as time allows.

The first time I needed 4x4 low, I came to a complete stop, shifted to neutral, engaged 4 wheel low, and heard the most god-awful grinding sound in the transfer case I have ever heard. Have not attempted 4 low since and will not until dealer checks out.

Another issue I have is with wind noise/ door seals. I actually spent the first week with the truck continually hitting the “up” button on the electronic window control. It is that bad. It gets worse with body flex on the highway. -If I hit a dip in the road, the noise significantly increases. I am actually surprised it keeps out water. In addition, I get road grime and salt up under the doors while driving. This is not acceptable, and I will be adding this to the dealer to do list.

The GMC always had a whining noise from the torque converter as if it was not disengaging at speed. I brought it to the dealer who thought I was crazy. I was not. New tranny at 50k.

Lets give this one a tie.

Plowing:

The Ford seems like it has the guts, but the Conti tires are so bad, sometimes I cannot even get out of my parking spot. I have had to completely adjust my plowing style around these &*&*(^%) tires. Ridiculous, and will be replaced. Ford should be ashamed of themselves for filling up the landfills with worthless rubber.

Biggest problem with plowing with the Ford is the lack of a rear defroster. I was stunned at this one, and honestly never looked to see if one was there. In this day and age for a company to put out a vehicle with a snow plow prep, and no rear defrost is unacceptable. I had rear defrost on my 1976 Capri for God’s sake. (As you may notice, I am infuriated over this one).

They compounded this one by putting the rear sliding window button right next to the moon roof control. Try hitting just one of the buttons with gloves on. I did, and wound up with a lap full of snow from above. If there was a Ford engineer on site, he would have been plowed into snow bank permanently.

GMC on this one by a country mile.

Mileage:

11.5 mpg average GMC, 11.9 mpg Ford. (mixed driving, lead foot.) I generally drive 75-80 on the highway, with a mix of around town driving. When I set the cruise control to 65 on the Ford for a long stretch (100 miles or so), I eked out around 15mpg. Not good, not awful.

Another tie.

Overall:

I liked the GMC, but did not like the new model. I really liked the Ford looks and interior, but have seen a few gremlins pop their heads out.

Would I recommend the Ford Gasser-Yes with a few caveats.

• Don’t expect mind blowing power off the line, it simply does not have it.
  • I will be purchasing a long extended warranty. I have seen too many issues that concern me.
  • Don’t believe the mileage hype. This is a big truck with a big engine. Do the math.
  • Do not get the Conti tires if there is even the slightest possibility that you will see snow during their lifetime. (This one may save your life).
  • Check every feature over that you may need. While the truck’s amenities are impressive, you may be surprised what $55k does not get you (Yea, the defroster again.) I still cannot believe I can talk to my radio, but not see out the rear window.
I short, love a lot about the Truck, need to fix a few bugs, and am crossing my fingers for the next 75k or so.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:32 PM
chevy2tuff2006
New User
funny post man i love the "snow in the lap" and "can talk to your radio but can't see out the back window". you had me rolling on the ground laughing! i'm keeping my eyes on the new fords because i too am looking for something new. great post!!!

Old 02-22-2011, 06:34 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Nice Report

You know it would be nice to a rear defroster!
I hope they fix the transfer case problem. I have had zero problem with transfer case which I think is the same as yours.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:35 PM
militarymetal
Freshman User
Interesting reading. Nice assessment. I had the SAME response with the wind noise and window regulators. Wind noise is excessive. My mileage is lower than you indicated. I get about 9/gal all city driving. Went to 11.5 on highway. 2011 6.2 xlt. I do have slightly taller tires than stock (34 inches).

Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 PM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Rear window defroster?,,,I have not seen one in a pickup truck,,,,I have been plowing for 30 or so years,,,,while the rear window may get fogged up,,,,I never really notice it,,,Because I use ,,,,,"the MIRRORS",,for Backing Up,,,they are heated,,,defrost Hits the door glass,,keeps it clear,,,,once the cab is up to temp,,,hardly ever any glass fogged up,,,windows down a scosh,,(have vent visors),,,sometimes if snowing hard,,gets alittle fogged,,,crank the defrost a few mins,,,,,Looking out the Back Window is Rookie stuff,,,,if you have a Jet sander in the Bed or a Cap on the Back you cant see anyway !!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 PM
greenwave_71
New User
ford does offer the rear window defroster on the new 2011 super duty. i know it isnt seen often but i ordered it with my truck and i have seen a few at a dealership near me.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Anomic
Senior User
Ya im not sure about the rear window thing either. Even before i put my cap on i took off the rearview mirror just blocks half the windshield. Especially with the nice mirrors (2010) you can see everything

Old 02-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Ross190
New User
I knew someone would have a comment or two on the rear defroster and using mirrors. Come on out and get in the truck. My commercial property has a 350' curved steep entryway to a large parking lot with galvanized post and chain fencing on both sides about 3' tall. The first one to successfully back up that 10 or 15 times in a row at 4:00 am in a freezing sleet without bringing some fencing along with them is a better man than me.

Rookie? I dont think so. When it is freezing rain sideways, why should I have to crack the windows and get my new leather seats soaked? Maybe you only have the fluffy stuff, but I am in New England.

Btw I have been plowing and towing for 25 years and can back up just about anything into just about anyplace, car, truck, boat, or trailer. You name it I probably push, pull or park it.

There is a such thing as technology that fixes issues like requiring open windows in a blizzard. Maybe I expect too much for $55k? Although I do remember having that feature on my 7 year old 2500....

Old 02-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Anomic
Senior User
Have you ever driven a truck without a rear window? Or with a trailer behind you

Old 02-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Ross190
New User
Have you ever read an entire post?

As I mentioned I am constantly towing, and plowing. And yes I have the need the drive a box truck on occassion with no rear window and have no issues at all.

Just because I have the ability to do something does not excuse Ford from forcing me to do it under all conditions, even those that are not ideal.

I can hop around on one leg, but sometimes just walking is easier. And you know what? I have two legs, so it becomes my choice.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:07 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good post Ross, the good and the bad are important. Especially for those folks looking to make the switch.

I for one am glad I sprung for a V10, as I'm getting the same mileage as you.

And I would like a rear window defroster too. I despise the sliding window, it is just another easy point-of-entry as far as I'm concerned. I had one in my GMC and loved it. Two wet kids and their gear will fog a window in seconds.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 PM
chris8084
Freshman User
Interesting honest post! Great information!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 PM
jndinmo
Senior User
Good post ross190 thanks for the info.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:58 PM
ryanguy76
Senior User
I like your post Ross190, im about to be in the same spot you are as i have a chevy setup like your old GMC. when it comes to a 1/2 ton truck i'd stick with GM but when it comes to a heavy duty truck, i'll take the Super Duty!!! ordering a F-250 Lariat next month!!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:33 PM
DAVE67FD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ross190,
Good honest post (i think) although i think you may be getting your panties in a bunch a bit too early. I will agree that you shouldn't be having any 4x4 or tranny problems this early so stop procrastinating and send it in ASAP, you shouldn't be waiting for something else to pop up. If you drive alot and plow with trucks you should know that Conti's are junk and you should have changed these out immediately. Ford isn't the only manufacturer that uses them either. Before buying the truck you should have done a thorough test drive at highway speeds. Maybe that would have detered you from your purchase.
Seeing as you purchased new you are always better off ordering so you get what you want instead of paying for items and then complaining about them later.

It seems as though you like the Ford but had to find some small items to offset it from the GM. Is it true, being a previous GM guy you couldn't let the Ford win hands down?

I believe the 2011 as well as back to 05 or so have the torque limit "feature" (if you really want to call it a feature) built into the ETC system but i could be wrong. I know my 06 has it. This may be for the lack of torque off the start. What was the gearing compared to on the GM?

I think if you get the few small main dealer issues resolved, change to a quality tire and look into the wind noise you will be much more happy with the Ford. As far as the rear defrost and dirt underneath, directional etc.. you need to give us a break on those.

Ohh we didn't tell you? Ford weeds out all the lemons to prior GM owners.lol
No, seriously, not trying to sound ignorant just throwing my two cents hard at yahh, my job as a loyal Ford owner. Ohh, and welcome to FTE

Quick Reply: 3000 Mile report 2011 F250 Lariat gasser