Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks > 1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2011, 04:18 AM
New User

pcoug is starting off with a positive reputation.
61 unibody

Hello. does anyone know how well a 61 unibody(modified to a 4x4) would tow a smaller travel trailer (less than 20 ft)? Should I beef up (add structural strength) to the underside? Thx
Old 02-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Senior User

Tennessee Toy is starting off with a positive reputation.
how far, how heavy of trailer, etc. matters.
if the '61 is a long wheel base i personally wouldn't pull anything. any torquing of that unibody and i would be afraid of twisting/cracking the body.
i would maybe pull something short distances - if its a short wheel base, around the house but not far.
trucks have a good frame, i would worry more about the body taking it.
My thoughts

'61 unibody - 6 banger, 3 on the tree
'74 Bronco - 302, headers, leveled - 3.5" front/2"back
2007 F150 supercrew 4x4 - daily driver
2008 Edge Limited - (mommas ride)
Old 02-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
I have towed across country several times with my 62. I towed cars and trucks, not trailers. These where full size rigs from the 50's and 60's. Some on an auto transport trailer and most just with a dolly. It has a stock suspension with a 4 point hitch. No trans cooler either and never had a problem other than blowing an exhaust doughnut on a mountain pass at 2 AM. Now that woke up the neighborhood let me tell ya.

Ya say yers is now 4X4 so I figure it wasn't always that way. So me thinks ya have modified the suspension some already. What all have ya done to get that conversion in?
Reason I ask is I am thinking it prolly reinforced it over the stock setup I have.

So with a little heaver shocks your suspension should handle it with no problem.

The only concern I have for you is brakes. Mine are stock drum with no power assist. And an Auto trans. So I used the trans by shifting down to help keep the brakes from fading on the down hill side of the long passes. The C6 is one tough tranny and I had no problems with it.

Whats yer engine and trans combo? And are yer brakes power assisted? Them's the only concerns I would have.

Her's a pic of my set up.

Click the image to open in full size.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Postmaster

kjvforme has a great reputation on FTE.kjvforme has a great reputation on FTE.kjvforme has a great reputation on FTE.kjvforme has a great reputation on FTE.
Are you sure its a modified F100?

1962 Ford F100 flat bed 4x4, 223, 4spd.
1962 Ford F100 Unibody with Olds 330 & Jetaway
1944 Ford GPW (Jeep) with 1947-48 Willys L-134
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 02-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Postmaster

kjvforme has a great reputation on FTE.kjvforme has a great reputation on FTE.kjvforme has a great reputation on FTE.kjvforme has a great reputation on FTE.
Hey it says in your profile your in Oregon, welcome to the FTE. Join the Oregon Chapter, to do it look at the bottom below my trucks and click on join Oregon Chapter. We are getting more and more people every day.

Rob

1962 Ford F100 flat bed 4x4, 223, 4spd.
1962 Ford F100 Unibody with Olds 330 & Jetaway
1944 Ford GPW (Jeep) with 1947-48 Willys L-134
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 02-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Postmaster

Customcab has a very good reputation on FTE.Customcab has a very good reputation on FTE.Customcab has a very good reputation on FTE.Customcab has a very good reputation on FTE.
I feel; the towing will no effect the body as bad as one would think; its having weight capacity in the bed that are the faults of uni's. I been told of uni's twisting so much the doors pop open. But straight line towing I can't see where the body factor comes in. I colud be mistaking but who knows until they try. I just recommend a reciver hitch towing not bumper style.
57 F100 SWB 351C/FMX; (Big Window)
65 Flairside SWB "Wife truck" (300/AOD)
62 F100 SWB 302/C6 (orphan box) Old Skool build
Old 02-22-2011, 06:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks > 1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody

Tags
4x4, 61, body, dimensions, f100, f250, ford, gallery, pickup, picture, troubleshoot, truck, uni, unibody, wheelbase