Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to remove rear panels

Old 02-20-2011, 08:07 PM
fgials
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how to remove rear panels

Ok how do u remove the rear panels to change out rear speakers? Pics would be great!

Thanks

Old 02-20-2011, 08:28 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
When I replaced mine I just pulled out the front sides of them to get in there. It is still very much pain like that and would probably still be faster to take the panels off, but that is a pain in itself.
I didnt take pics, but the seat belt for 2nd row need to come off, panel above 2nd row, floor pc and then I was able to pull it out somewhat. To get it fully off the far back top pcs and 3rd row seat belt would need to come off, and the 3rd row seat out. They use snaps that push in and u sometimes lose some of them, ie they snap off but that is the nature of the beast.

I might be taking mine fully off in a week or so when I wire up new amp, and will take pics if I do. I'm still hoping I can work around taking them all of, but we will see.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:19 AM
armydude
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ill be watching this one, I want to see the nightmare behind the panels before i do them

Old 02-21-2011, 10:48 AM
fgials
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will be trying again tonight.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:54 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Well I finally received my speaker wire I was waiting for and tore into the install today. If you need or want photos of the tear apart for the panels let my know.

adding few photos after all. Yes it is dirty back there. I left it to clean up while I run new speaker wiring. Pull up on this panel, mounted with spring clips. It stays with the rear carpet. Remove rear bottom kick pc, 4 torx bolts on the back tie downs, and the rear carpet slides out.

Panel on rear carpet is fastened to carpet, remove together with carpet.

Once the carpet is removed you expose two plastic push clips and rear bottom seat belt mounting bolt. They need to be removed to remove the side panels. Passenger side pictured

2nd row top seat belt mount bolt needs to be removed.(15mm) Also 3rd row top mount bolt. It is t50 torx. After the bolts removed the panel can be pulled off. Mounted with spring clips, so just pull out on it. Same for the very back top panel. and side panel around the rear vent motor. Once these are removed you can pull out on the large side panel. Remove 12v socket in the back, you can also remove 3rd row seat belt thru the panel after uncliping trim ring where seat belt runs thru panel. Also remove the 2nd row seat belt winding spring, and bottom bolt under 2nd row carpet to fully remove panel from the truck.

2nd row bottom seat belt bolt.

2nd row belt mount.

12v socket

Old 02-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Eric H
Senior User
I'd be interested in seeing pics. Thanks

Old 02-24-2011, 12:11 AM
wallz
Postmaster
edited and added pics. If I was to just replace the speakers it is faster to just remove the 2nd row top seat belt mount, and the top panel, c pillar I think it is called. You can remove cup holder in the panel, and pull out on the panel enough to work in there to remove and replace speakers. I ended up removing passenger side to run wiring for amp mounted in the jack comp. It would have been to difficult to just work around it. The drivers side I just pulled the panel out some and worked around/thru it to get at the speaker. Much faster this way. Enjoy.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:44 AM
Eric H
Senior User
Thank you!

Old 12-20-2011, 05:49 PM
809taino
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wallz
edited and added pics. If I was to just replace the speakers it is faster to just remove the 2nd row top seat belt mount, and the top panel, c pillar I think it is called. You can remove cup holder in the panel, and pull out on the panel enough to work in there to remove and replace speakers. I ended up removing passenger side to run wiring for amp mounted in the jack comp. It would have been to difficult to just work around it. The drivers side I just pulled the panel out some and worked around/thru it to get at the speaker. Much faster this way. Enjoy.
Great info man. I was gonna start a new thread but found this one... I want to repaint my interior panels black. Any advise on paint type or process?

Old 12-20-2011, 07:52 PM
wallz
Postmaster
I use the back area always, plus the kids in the third row so it gets scuffed often. If you use the area I would rethink painting black because any scuff will show. Just saying.

I would take one of the small back panels of trim and take it in to a good paint shop so they can recommend a paint.

Don't be afraid to start a new thread about a new topic, cuz ya can always link in this one.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:43 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 809taino
Great info man. I was gonna start a new thread but found this one... I want to repaint my interior panels black. Any advise on paint type or process?
Check with the guys from RiffRaff...when you get the F650 panel, they have you ship them the trash hook and ash tray so they can color match the panel. They would know the best paint to use since they have to paint them before shipping them to customers.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:17 PM
dvldog458
Elder User
Nice write up thx

Old 12-21-2011, 03:33 PM
809taino
Elder User
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
Check with the guys from RiffRaff...when you get the F650 panel, they have you ship them the trash hook and ash tray so they can color match the panel. They would know the best paint to use since they have to paint them before shipping them to customers.
My panels are actually in great shape. I just wanna change them to black. My wife suggesteds wrapping them all in carbon fiber vinyl, but Im not into wrapping anything. Im looking to black out the whole interior and just leave a few trims chrome.

I just found a product called Duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint... Im gonna be trying that out.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:53 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 809taino
My panels are actually in great shape. I just wanna change them to black. My wife suggesteds wrapping them all in carbon fiber vinyl, but Im not into wrapping anything. Im looking to black out the whole interior and just leave a few trims chrome.

I just found a product called Duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint... Im gonna be trying that out.

Im happy to see a fellow FTE member have this much fun with there new EX.

But I starting to think your wife is going to BLACK YOU OUT!

Old 12-21-2011, 05:52 PM
809taino
Elder User
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Im happy to see a fellow FTE member have this much fun with there new EX.

But I starting to think your wife is going to BLACK YOU OUT!
Lol... She dont mind. She actually likes it. She owned a chrisler 300 when I met her it was blacked out too. I was out painting the rear bumper today and she came out and said "Another FTE project? Need your camera?"

I couldn't help but laugh..