MPG OVER HERE

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Rosson03
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation MPG OVER HERE

My name is Rosson Mason I drive a 2000 Ford Excursion THE V-10. 2wd

I am starting to conduct a research and purch. all the avalible "fuel Saving" devices out there.

I have tride a lot. maybe you can learn from me.

Ditching the 3rd row seat..............not any notice of a gain

the tornado..:............. SUCKS (i put in 3 at one time also)

Hypertech mpg .................... look like it didnt work

K&N intake..............................save money not replacing the filter.......... notice a little bit

FITCH FUEL CAT.............................notice a slight increase

E3 Spark plugs............................... they burned up quick

Royal purple...................................notice a gain

lucas gas adj................................... not much to notice but its nice to clean out my fuel system

rear diff royal purple..........feals good knowing its syn.

Trying:

transmission royal purple.........................cost a lot but will try

bbk throttle body..............just ordered it friday the 2/18/11

jet mass air flow................ just ordered it friday the 2/18/11

jet spacer...........................just ordered it friday the 2/18/11

long tube headers..................when i get them money

replacing off the fac. y pipe replacing it with a Less of a bend pipe (ebay)...... soon
""then it will be and off raod vehicle only"" do to this and that i dont know if i have to say that.

flex a lite suv truck dual fans.................. when i get the money

Does anyone else know any that i am missing:

Old 02-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two ideas to reduce airflow drag over the truck. These all help in small ways:

1) Take off the cross bars on roof rack.
2) If you can, build an extension to the bottom of your front air dam under the front bumper. If you can, add about 2" to this with a simple sheet metal or plastic extension. Paint it black so it won't look too bad.

Also, air up the tires to maximum you can tolerate (and less than sidewall rating, which should be stated on tire).

Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
The BEST thing any of us can do is :

1) put a 2x4 block under the accelerator pedal so you can't go over half throttle.....

2) get a smaller/lighter car if mpg is what you are worried about...

3) if you want an Ex, get a deezle one (flamesuit on )

Good luck...

Old 02-21-2011, 09:49 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
The BEST thing any of us can do is :

3) if you want an Ex, get a deezle one (flamesuit on )

Good luck...
This is spot on because the 6.oH's are normally sitting in the dealer or mechanic being fixed and you don't have to pay for fuel in the Ex while that is happening...

Old 02-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
You won't get much more mpg out of a V10 truck, but the sure fire thing that wakes that engine up is programming from Mike over at 5 Star. Every 5.4 V8 and V10 owner who has used their programming loves it and wishes it was available sooner. It won't give you a 3-4 mpg boost as it would a diesel, but you would probably (and I say probably) see a 1-2 mpg boost. Last time I looked at his site, Mike had a few package deals that made his programming work even better (i.e. intake, muffler, programmer) Check him out, it'll be money well spent on your truck.

The tornado- great waste of money

Hypertech mpg- Try Mike at 5 star, he knows what he's doing and does custom tuning.K&N intake- this will help the engine breathe a little better

FITCH FUEL CAT.............................notice a slight increase

E3 Spark plugs- The V10 only likes what it came with" Motorcraft platinum plugs. You can also get the Autolites from Autozone as they're the same thing.

Royal purple-great stuff!

lucas gas adj- I never really was a fan of this stuff. Instead run some seafoam through your intake (from the master cylinder), 300-500 before your next oil change, pour some in the crankcase to clean things out, and run a high concentration of Chevron's techron additive in your fuel tank. It'll really clean our your fuel system and might even net you a mpg. You can find it at wal-mart or Autozone for a reasonable cost, some times O'reilly has a 2 for 1 deal going on.

rear diff royal purple-wise choice

replacing off the fac. y pipe replacing it with a Less of a bend pipe (ebay)-ebay headers and y-pipe help the V10 breathe and perform better, definitely a worthwhile investment. Mike may have these as part of a package deal

""then it will be and off raod vehicle only"" do to this and that i dont know if i have to say that.

flex a lite suv truck dual fans- might be worth it

Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 AM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
This is spot on because the 6.oH's are normally sitting in the dealer or mechanic being fixed and you don't have to pay for fuel in the Ex while that is happening...

My 6.0l spends less time getting repairs, than your V-10 spends at the gas station getting fuel.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Guys! While witty and funny, let's stay on topic...

Old 02-21-2011, 10:31 AM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Guys! While witty and funny, let's stay on topic...
Whatta ya expect from a couple of stubborn, ol', die hard's?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:33 AM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The best and only way to noticeably improve mpg is to drive downhill all the time.

There is no magic pill when you have 10 fuel injectors spraying gasoline into 10 cylinders. Period!

Old 02-21-2011, 12:09 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Forest
Two ideas to reduce airflow drag over the truck. These all help in small ways:

1) Take off the cross bars on roof rack.
2) If you can, build an extension to the bottom of your front air dam under the front bumper. If you can, add about 2" to this with a simple sheet metal or plastic extension. Paint it black so it won't look too bad.

Also, air up the tires to maximum you can tolerate (and less than sidewall rating, which should be stated on tire).
Regarding #2, I noticed that late model Super Duty's have a longer air dam, haven't measured but the bumpers look very similar in shape and size, has anyone tried this?

Old 02-21-2011, 03:41 PM
saz2686
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am usually a non believer especially when it comes to gas saving fuel additives. do yourself a favor use this product, that goes for everyone and in every motor gas and diesel. you WILL notice at least a ten percent gain. on top of a mpg gain, you WILL notice an overall power gain and a better running motor. the price makes you hesitate but i promise it is worth it in the long run - even if you just break even. 1 ounce treats 15 gallons - i use two ounces per 15 gallons and my motor loves me for it. the diesel fuelon is amazing in a motor. with todays crappy low sulfer diesel fuel this product keeps the motor properly lubricated. take my word for it - its 100 pecent guaranteed by the owner. Call and tell them scott young sent you. you will not regret it FUELON Inc.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Rosson03
Senior User
THANKS GUYS!

WHO IS MIKE lol got a website!

Old 02-22-2011, 04:16 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by Rosson03
WHO IS MIKE lol got a website!

Here ya go with Mike's website 5 Star Tuning | Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services

I also recommend the Ultra-Guage for live MPG feedback, I know once I got mine it made a big difference in my throttle control as I watched the instant MPG data. I have seen about a 1.5 MPG increase using the U-G, it will help teach you the most efficient way to drive. UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool

Good luck, remember that V-10 will only do so much, MPG wise.....

Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Rosson03
Senior User
HAS ANYONE TRIDE THIS!!!!

Custom Tuned X3 + SPD Ypipe Combo Kit for 1999-2000 Ford Superduty F/E Series Vehicles

Old 02-23-2011, 06:59 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Here ya go with Mike's website 5 Star Tuning | Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services

I also recommend the Ultra-Guage for live MPG feedback, I know once I got mine it made a big difference in my throttle control as I watched the instant MPG data. I have seen about a 1.5 MPG increase using the U-G, it will help teach you the most efficient way to drive. UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool

Good luck, remember that V-10 will only do so much, MPG wise.....

Is that 1.5 mpg real time or hand calculated? Or are you referring to using the gauge as an indicator of trend and not actual?

Quick Reply: MPG OVER HERE