Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-20-2011, 04:44 AM
coobie coobie is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 102
coobie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Real world gas mileage with the 6.2

Took my 2011 F-250 with 6.2 gas and 3.73 gear to The national farm mach.show in louisville Ky.this past weekend.Driving 70-75 mph average MPG was 12.4-12.7 if I kept it under 65 mph my average was 13.8My truck is 4X4 SC with 5,000 miles on the ODcoobie
__________________
2006 Ford F-150 Supercrew XLT
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-20-2011, 10:33 AM
nico963's Avatar
nico963 nico963 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: chicago,IL
Posts: 958
nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.
Thank you very much for the update!
__________________
Rob
2007 F-250 6.0 CC SB 4x4 Black FX4
20in Black BMF Novakane 8's W/ Toyo M/T 33x12.50x20
Stock Motor with a pipe that makes noise.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-20-2011, 10:48 AM
bcham5's Avatar
bcham5 bcham5 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 47
bcham5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
highway at 100kph averaged 13.5mpg that was with my layflat toolbuddy with tools (300lbs) and my cat m1000 in the box, and 8.8mpg at work but this is slowdriving on winter access roads at 20kph and minus 30c with lots of idle time
2011 f250 crewcab shortbox 6.2. 3.73 gears
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-20-2011, 04:27 PM
iggy2's Avatar
iggy2 iggy2 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Posts: 313
iggy2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coobie View Post
Took my 2011 F-250 with 6.2 gas and 3.73 gear to The national farm mach.show in louisville Ky.this past weekend.Driving 70-75 mph average MPG was 12.4-12.7 if I kept it under 65 mph my average was 13.8My truck is 4X4 SC with 5,000 miles on the ODcoobie
More questions........
Nice starting point for a 4x4 MPG with no load.
Did you leave it in D al the way?
Did you notice if it would downshift from 6th to 5th often on the highway?
Did yo use crusie control or just yiur foot?
Anyone have any figures with a trailer?
I wonder if my 4X2 will be better without the additional weight from the 4X4?
I will just have to wait until my new truck is built and arrives.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-20-2011, 05:49 PM
coobie coobie is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 102
coobie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy2 View Post
More questions........
Nice starting point for a 4x4 MPG with no load.
Did you leave it in D al the way?
Did you notice if it would downshift from 6th to 5th often on the highway?
Did yo use crusie control or just yiur foot?
Anyone have any figures with a trailer?
I wonder if my 4X2 will be better without the additional weight from the 4X4?
I will just have to wait until my new truck is built and arrives.
It was in drive all the way,used cruise control 95% of the time.No downshifts that I noticed.coobie
__________________
2006 Ford F-150 Supercrew XLT
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-20-2011, 06:35 PM
ruschejj's Avatar
ruschejj ruschejj is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Greenwood, SC
Posts: 4,719
ruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud of
Joel Rusche Joel Rusche Joel Rusche
I know a guy who has one, he gets just under 10mpg towing an 18ft enclosed trailer that weighs around 10K going 65mph on interstates and 55mph on 2 lane highways.

He does not use the "M" mode which I'm sure would help a bit. The truck likes to downshift to 3rd and scream up moderate hills. I use "M" a lot with my diesel so it does not shift even if I lose 10mph climbing a hill in 6th gear.
__________________
2015 F350 CC KR SRW LB 4x4, 3.55ELD, ordered 9/4/14, home 10/24/14. Factory 5th wheel set up, VIAIR #10009 kit, train horns, ride-rite air bags, CB, Strobe lights, BedRug, BakFlipG2, TransferFlow in-bed 50gal tank, 2 Kicker 10" subs, Polk 1" tweeters, tinted front windows, Tuxedo Black Monotone option
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-21-2011, 09:46 AM
loganworks loganworks is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 116
loganworks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coobie View Post
Took my 2011 F-250 with 6.2 gas and 3.73 gear to The national farm mach.show in louisville Ky.this past weekend.Driving 70-75 mph average MPG was 12.4-12.7 if I kept it under 65 mph my average was 13.8My truck is 4X4 SC with 5,000 miles on the ODcoobie
Have the same truck and average 10.4 mpg on shot trips in town. Just got back from a 300 mi trip in Vt almost all highway @ 70mph on cruise and averaged 15 on the lie o-meter. We have some long mile plus hill grades and the truck only downshifted twice to 5th. The rest of the time 6th and never dropped out of lock-up. The other thing was even on the pull up the hills the speed stayed locked @ 70. The needle never wavered. Every other vehicle I have driven has had a 4-5 mph drop before it would down shift. I'm impressed. Love my trk.
__________________
2011 F250 XL 4X4 FX 3.73 6.2
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM
iggy2's Avatar
iggy2 iggy2 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Posts: 313
iggy2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruschejj View Post
I know a guy who has one, he gets just under 10mpg towing an 18ft enclosed trailer that weighs around 10K going 65mph on interstates and 55mph on 2 lane highways.

He does not use the "M" mode which I'm sure would help a bit. The truck likes to downshift to 3rd and scream up moderate hills. I use "M" a lot with my diesel so it does not shift even if I lose 10mph climbing a hill in 6th gear.
Thanks for your 3rd party information and I don't think you can compare the 6.2 L gas to your 6.7L diesel. Two different animals.
Also if I pull a 10K box at 65 mph I would expect to get 10MPG. Probably was hitting a head wind also.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-21-2011, 12:35 PM
iggy2's Avatar
iggy2 iggy2 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Posts: 313
iggy2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganworks View Post
Have the same truck and average 10.4 mpg on shot trips in town. Just got back from a 300 mi trip in Vt almost all highway @ 70mph on cruise and averaged 15 on the lie o-meter. We have some long mile plus hill grades and the truck only downshifted twice to 5th. The rest of the time 6th and never dropped out of lock-up. The other thing was even on the pull up the hills the speed stayed locked @ 70. The needle never wavered. Every other vehicle I have driven has had a 4-5 mph drop before it would down shift. I'm impressed. Love my trk.
Now that sounds right. Thanks for your information.
I plan on enjoying the cost savings after my 6.0L Powerstroke for 8 years.
Diesel fuel has reached $3.75 a gallon here in Arizona and hate to hear what California is paying.
Also the additive is $5 a gallon. I made the switch because of dollars and cents.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Josh.fishing Josh.fishing is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SE Louisiana
Posts: 35
Josh.fishing is starting off with a positive reputation.
Super cab 4x4 4.30 gears. 13 empty mpg. 7.5 mpg pulling my catamaran offshore boat. 9 pulling 35' dual tandem goose neck with a JD 620 (13,500)lbs total give or take a few. Truck performs great. Little down shifts. Gears really help this truck. Don't waste Your time getting 3.73's in a 4x4. Most people put larger more agressive tires anyway. My lie o meter is off by 0.1 mpg. I can live with that. I have three references to judge by. 06 dodge diesel consistently got 8.5'to 9'mpgmpulling the boat. Considered a 2010 5.4 with 3.73 4x4. Stock would not get out of third gear showing 6mpg. Barrowed a 2011 4x2 3.73'and hooked boat up. Meter showed 7.9. All drives never exceeded 65 on flat land in south louisiana. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 PM
postman524 postman524 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 72
postman524 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.fishing View Post
Super cab 4x4 4.30 gears. 13 empty mpg. 7.5 mpg pulling my catamaran offshore boat. 9 pulling 35' dual tandem goose neck with a JD 620 (13,500)lbs total give or take a few. Truck performs great. Little down shifts. Gears really help this truck. Don't waste Your time getting 3.73's in a 4x4. Most people put larger more agressive tires anyway. My lie o meter is off by 0.1 mpg. I can live with that. I have three references to judge by. 06 dodge diesel consistently got 8.5'to 9'mpgmpulling the boat. Considered a 2010 5.4 with 3.73 4x4. Stock would not get out of third gear showing 6mpg. Barrowed a 2011 4x2 3.73'and hooked boat up. Meter showed 7.9. All drives never exceeded 65 on flat land in south louisiana. Hope this helps.
Sorry to disappoint you, but my SuperDuty is coming in 4X4 with 3.73. Just could not see going with a 4.3 rear towing 6500lbs or less.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 PM
bcham5's Avatar
bcham5 bcham5 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 47
bcham5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by postman524 View Post
Sorry to disappoint you, but my SuperDuty is coming in 4X4 with 3.73. Just could not see going with a 4.3 rear towing 6500lbs or less.
agreed
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Josh.fishing Josh.fishing is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SE Louisiana
Posts: 35
Josh.fishing is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why do you need a super duty if you are towing less than 6500?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 PM
chris8084's Avatar
chris8084 chris8084 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 37
chris8084 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.fishing View Post
Why do you need a super duty if you are towing less than 6500?
He probably doesn't need one but my guess is that he wanted one! I don't need one either to pull my 7500 pound boat around, but I wanted one and so I bought one. And I bought one with 3.73 gears too. Love it!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 AM
ruschejj's Avatar
ruschejj ruschejj is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Greenwood, SC
Posts: 4,719
ruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud of
Joel Rusche Joel Rusche Joel Rusche
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy2 View Post
Thanks for your 3rd party information and I don't think you can compare the 6.2 L gas to your 6.7L diesel. Two different animals.
Also if I pull a 10K box at 65 mph I would expect to get 10MPG. Probably was hitting a head wind also.
Yeah, I do not intend to do the diesel smack talk. My father and I own a small business and we own 2 trucks, the 6.2 being the newest.

10MPG is expected, I was simply adding to this thread factual info to further back up what the OP wrote.

I can tell y'all for sure, using the "M" mode, gas or diesel, gives you ways to get better economy. Gas gets burned via a combination of throttle % AND engine RPM, which are more easily controlled by manually selecting your gears and shifts.
__________________
2015 F350 CC KR SRW LB 4x4, 3.55ELD, ordered 9/4/14, home 10/24/14. Factory 5th wheel set up, VIAIR #10009 kit, train horns, ride-rite air bags, CB, Strobe lights, BedRug, BakFlipG2, TransferFlow in-bed 50gal tank, 2 Kicker 10" subs, Polk 1" tweeters, tinted front windows, Tuxedo Black Monotone option
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Here is one for ya! 6.2 engine problems coobie 6.2L V8 48 10-24-2014 11:42 PM
Just how big of a problem is the Cam phasor coobie 2004 - 2008 F150 1 02-25-2012 09:40 PM
Sold my 2011 ford F250 super duty looking at a 2006 F150 coobie 2004 - 2008 F150 6 02-23-2012 05:03 PM
Average wait on 2011 superduty coobie Super Duty & Heavy Duty 3 07-24-2010 09:36 PM
2011 ford F-250 super duty coobie Super Duty & Heavy Duty 11 07-24-2010 11:34 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8

Tags
2011, 250, 50, 62, duty, ecoboost, engine, f150, ford, gas, milage, mileage, mpg, real, super, truck, world

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup