6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Real world gas mileage with the 6.2

Old 08-24-2013, 11:45 PM
airstreamingypsy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what manual mode is, but sounds like I like it. <g>

Thanks for the reply. I had the truck for 5 weeks when it broke and I spent 14,500.00 for a "new" engine.... I have so much money in this truck I'm worried about putting more in it and having it fail anyway.... by the time I drop 3-4 thousand more I can trade it for a lightly used 6.2 XLT for not a whole lot more money.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:53 AM
BigMix
Senior User
Manual mode allows you to run the automatic transmission like a push button manual. You can lockout higher gears so that the tranny won't shift continuously while in hilly terrain. In manual mode you can shift from 1st-6th when you want allowing the truck to continue to pull hard without having to worry about it changing too early. However it will not let you go into higher gears if you are not moving at a high enough speed for that get. An example would be 6th gear shifting before 40mph.

As for pulling 8,000lbs, I pulled a 4 mile 8% grade. I started the bottom at 55. When I got half way up the speedometer was at 70 with no problems.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:24 AM
butch50
Freshman User
Well thought I would drop in and report my mileage since we just returned from Alaska loaded with a slide in camper that weighs right at 4300#.

We traveled right at 11,000 miles and my average for the entire trip was 10.88 with my 2011 F350 with 4.30 rear. I was also running 19.5 tires on it so that takes away some mileage as they are 16 ply rated G tires and very heavy. When we left I was pulling my boat for the first 2000 miles and we were getting the strong head winds and storms. This was the end of May when we had all of the storms. There was a lot of speed up and slow down because of frost heaves. A lot of pulling when coming out of the towns in Alaska that were on the coast. When leaving Skagway there was miles pulling out of there. Same with leaving Valdez and Hyder/Steward. When returning home we had head and cross winds all the way from southern Montana till we got home in Arkansas.

So overall we bought a little over 1,000 gallons and all liters were converted to gallons and it was all hand calculated, The onboard truck MPG was a little under what we actually got. I find the onboard computer to be pretty much on. It well be within a few 10ths of a gallon from what I filled up with and saying that I had used. So pretty happy with it as there were times that I was down in the mid 9s with the boat and the wind and then times pulling a lot of hills. The highest I got was 12.6 a couple of times.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:55 PM
retrieverman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy
Thanks, good info.....

I'm not happy with 8 to 10 mpg..... is that just towing? It should do much better not towing right. My diesel gets almost the same towing and not towing.
I have owned half a dozen Ford diesel trucks (94, 95, 01, 04, 06, and 09), and not one of mine has gotten even close to your stated mileage when towing.

I went with the 6.2 after a friend bought one and liked it, and the same guy also has a 6.7 and only gets 9 towing.

Mine is a 2011 F250 CC FX4 3.73, and my real world numbers are 12.5-13.5 empty and 8.5-9.5 LOADED.

I figure that the difference in the price of a diesel motor, maintenance costs, and fuel costs that I can give up at least a couple miles to the gallon and still come out cheaper.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:10 PM
airstreamingypsy
Junior User
Think you misunderstood what I wrote about mileage in my diesels.... I reread it and it is confusing.

What I meant to say is I get 13mpg towing and 13 mpg not towing around town. I responded to the 8 to 10 mpg someone else said they get with their 6.2.

I'm actually open to buying a diesel or a 6.2, I just think like you, that for difference in cost it'll probably be a wash. My concern is since I've always towed with a diesel, first the 7.3 now the 6.0 is will I be disappointed towing with the 6.2?

Old 09-03-2013, 09:25 PM
retrieverman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy
Think you misunderstood what I wrote about mileage in my diesels.... I reread it and it is confusing.

What I meant to say is I get 13mpg towing and 13 mpg not towing around town. I responded to the 8 to 10 mpg someone else said they get with their 6.2.

I'm actually open to buying a diesel or a 6.2, I just think like you, that for difference in cost it'll probably be a wash. My concern is since I've always towed with a diesel, first the 7.3 now the 6.0 is will I be disappointed towing with the 6.2?
I owned two 6.0 diesels, and my 6.2 will out pull either of them. My son commented just a few days ago that the 6.2 doesn't "lug" like my '06 6.0 did.

I tow for a living and can own any truck that I want, and I don't plan to ever own a diesel again. The economics just don't add up.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:45 PM
airstreamingypsy
Junior User
Wow, that's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.... I can get a newer nicer 6.2 also, than a diesel... thanks so much.

I really like my diesel, because its running great but I just can't go through another engine failure.... and a 14,500.00 bill.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:02 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by retrieverman
I owned two 6.0 diesels, and my 6.2 will out pull either of them. My son commented just a few days ago that the 6.2 doesn't "lug" like my '06 6.0 did.

I tow for a living and can own any truck that I want, and I don't plan to ever own a diesel again. The economics just don't add up.
That's the info I needed, too. I have a 2010 trouble free 6.4L that is perfect, but I have no intent to keep past 100k if not deleted. At this rate, that'll be next summer.

I use mine as a daily driver, but tow a 10k flying brick on the weekends for camping. For 12x a year, the $8k Diesel engine premium doesn't add up. I'm older now and don't need to be first out of the cash box.

Unless I find a nice economy car for daily driving soon to put my truck in the barn for dedicated towing, it will be replaced with a 6.2L.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:25 PM
retrieverman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by smokewagun
That's the info I needed, too. I have a 2010 trouble free 6.4L that is perfect, but I have no intent to keep past 100k if not deleted. At this rate, that'll be next summer.

I use mine as a daily driver, but tow a 10k flying brick on the weekends for camping. For 12x a year, the $8k Diesel engine premium doesn't add up.
I had an '09 F450 with a 6.4, and it required TWO short blocks in the first 89k miles. When they told me it needed the second, I handed them the keys and told them to find me something else to drive.

I tow trailers in my business on a daily basis, and I can no longer justify owning a diesel. I am shocked at how many people in my area drive dually diesel pickups as a daily driver/commute vehicle. I guess image is everything to some people.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:37 PM
airstreamingypsy
Junior User
Mine is a daily driver, because I'm a fulltime RVer... so its not like I can have two vehicles. I think my 6.0 is happy towing my trailer but unhappy being used to drive around town.

I now have 42,000.00 in a 20 something thousand dollar truck.... I just plain can't afford another diesel.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:50 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by retrieverman
I had an '09 F450 with a 6.4, and it required TWO short blocks in the first 89k miles. When they told me it needed the second, I handed them the keys and told them to find me something else to drive.

I tow trailers in my business on a daily basis, and I can no longer justify owning a diesel. I am shocked at how many people in my area drive dually diesel pickups as a daily driver/commute vehicle. I guess image is everything to some people.
My 2010 at 64,000 miles is flawless. Blackstone reports no engine wear for the last two reports. Right mow, I can sell my truck for what I paid for it, so I almost see it as a sign to move on if I can. Problem is I can't get back into a truck for what I owe on this one, and at 64k, illness at 100k by next summer. I don't want to keep my 6.4L past the 100k warranty.
I think the 6.2L gasser is a good option for me, but I still need some convincing.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:16 PM
rvpuller
Received 425 Likes on 279 Posts
Smokewagun we will be leaving our homebase in Nebraska on the 10th and won't return until the end of May. By then I will be able to answer any question about the capability of the 6.2. We will be pulling and living in our 16K 5th wheel and pullling in NE, NV, WY, UT, AZ, CA, NM, TX, OK, KS and Mexico we will be from sea level to 10K in elevation. After our first trip pulling I have no doubt that the 6.2 will be up to what we have planned for it in the future.

I will be connected the whole time because we use a Verizon Mi-Fi year around so for the next 8 months I will give reports good or bad.

Denny

Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 PM
airstreamingypsy
Junior User
Denny, the highest weight any 6.2 Super Duty is rated to tow is 15,000#

2014 Ford Super Duty | View Towing Specifications | Ford.com

I hope you don't get into an accident, because a lawyer will make mincemeat out of you......

Old 09-05-2013, 08:09 PM
rvpuller
Received 425 Likes on 279 Posts
If you look at the 5th wheel specs you will see that the SC, DRW 2WD with 4.30 gears it is rated at 15600, my trailer is rated at 15600 but sometimes it's over depending on the water that is on board.
Next go down to the same configuration but the 6.7 and the same truck but different motor is rated to pull 22600, my DRW is rated at 13900 GVWR just like the 6.7, it's the
same suspension and brakes. Also when we ordered our trailer I upgraded to Dexter HD brakes but 10 years ago they didn't change the tag like they do now.

Denny

Old 09-05-2013, 08:50 PM
airstreamingypsy
Junior User
Ah, you're right... I didn't see the 15,600....

I'm super cautious.... I never tow up to the rated weight.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Real world gas mileage with the 6.2