1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Differents in Factory ford and Alcoa Aluminum wheels ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:33 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Differents in Factory ford and Alcoa Aluminum wheels ??

I have a e99 F350 drw with factory ford # aluminum 5spoke 16' wheels and want to who made them rims for ford ? Is the Alcoa aluminum 5spoke 16' rim a better rim ? The reason I ask is a just got a set of Alcoa used. I plan to use the better of two sets wheels in the front and plan to replace the 2 steel wheels in back so I can have 4 aluminum in back. And the last issue I have one rear rim that has been welded (inside when the tire was off the wheel ) and I can still see a crack on outside ( looks like a scratch until I sanded and painted the wheels) on the dish side across one spoke. I have marked the rim and checked to see if it is getting worst. But the crack is same and rim holds air. I just don't like the idea of driving with a repaired wheel. I read somewhere that some 16' spoke aluminum rims were recalled ? Anyone ever hear about that or had this problem?

Old 02-19-2011, 08:05 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which rim is cracked? Ford or alcoa? Just curious! I have welded up many alum wheels and never had problems but they were welded out 100%. another problem you may run into is stud length on your rears. The alum rims are 3 times thicker than the steel ones.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be concerned about the wheels working loose. You will be torquing two aluminum wheels instead of one. Aluminum is not the best metal to hold torque. Just my thoughts.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:20 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
It is the Ford rim rear and it isn't a pretty weld either. Oh,YEA it's been repaired. Do think it's safe. Wouldn't the correct way to repair be to grind a v groove and weld and do that on both sides. The outside is still cracked on mine. Do you now who makes the rims for Ford? Are the two the same they look the same one has ford part# and the other doesn't or does the Alcoa use better aluminum?

Old 02-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
I've been running 4 OEM Aluminum rims on the back of my dually for over 2 years now with no problems

Old 02-19-2011, 08:30 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Bob Taulbee
I would be concerned about the wheels working loose. You will be torquing two aluminum wheels instead of one. Aluminum is not the best metal to hold torque. Just my thoughts.
I was thinking that you would cut down rolling mass by 50 % them steel wheels are heavy. And as far as torque semi's do dual aluminum and the ford trucks do have the lock washer set up on lugnuts. I don't think that would be the issue but like Bulla said it might be an issue with wheel studs ?

Old 02-19-2011, 08:32 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Deluxe06
I've been running 4 OEM Aluminum rims on the back of my dually for over 2 years now with no problems
So there isn't an issue with studs. Cool Do you know if there is a differents in the quality of the two wheels? I know there same size and offset. Off subject where did you get your intake pipe I like that?

Old 02-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
[quote=Deluxe06;9991114]I've been running 4 OEM Aluminum rims on the back of my dually for over 2 years now with no problems[/quote

There is your answer, Richard has them on his truck, with no problem.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I always thought that Alcoa made the Ford dually wheels...

Old 02-19-2011, 08:49 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure alcoa makes the ford wheels and they probly have some sort of deal where they let ford pit their stamp on it. I would love to put alum rims on the back to replace my steel wheels especially if I could find some front rims to mount in the insides to be able to rotate em with the fronts. That would save some serious time and money, only problem is the shape the wheel would be in after riding down the gravel roads with my destinations playing dodgeball with the polished wheel. Ouch! But boy would it be nice.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:50 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Franko72
I always thought that Alcoa made the Ford dually wheels...
Hello Frank I was thinking that but I can't find any proof to back that up. So you think that Alcoa makes them and ford stamps their # in it ?

Old 02-19-2011, 08:54 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bulla
I'm sure alcoa makes the ford wheels and they probly have some sort of deal where they let ford pit their stamp on it. I would love to put alum rims on the back to replace my steel wheels especially if I could find some front rims to mount in the insides to be able to rotate em with the fronts. That would save some serious time and money, only problem is the shape the wheel would be in after riding down the gravel roads with my destinations playing dodgeball with the polished wheel. Ouch! But boy would it be nice.
Yea gravel roads are not kind. I ended up painting my rims. I wish I had the cash to powder coat them. The ones I just got are still in good shape and I am going to paint them anyway.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
So there isn't an issue with studs. Cool Do you know if there is a differents in the quality of the two wheels? I know there same size and offset. Off subject where did you get your intake pipe I like that?
No stud issues plenty of threads, about the quality of the two different rims I don't know that but Alcoa rims have a BIG reputation in the big truck industry as being the best. The tube I custom made

Old 02-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Yea gravel roads are not kind. I ended up painting my rims. I wish I had the cash to powder coat them. The ones I just got are still in good shape and I am going to paint them anyway.
I want to have mine chromed.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Hello Frank I was thinking that but I can't find any proof to back that up. So you think that Alcoa makes them and ford stamps their # in it ?
I swear that I read it somewhere that Alcoa made em for Ford. Alcoa would put the Ford stamp on when they were made. I just cant find it.......
Now I do remember that when my truck was for sale the add said Alcoa wheels....Mine are stamped Ford, and the previous owner could be a dummy for all I know, but I'm pretty sure they are made by Alcoa.

Quick Reply: Differents in Factory ford and Alcoa Aluminum wheels ??