1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade tube bumper PICS!!!

Old 02-19-2011, 12:46 AM
vinmanin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homemade tube bumper PICS!!!

Well its been awhile since I have been on here last, so I figured I'll throw out some pictures of one of my projects. I got into an accident with another vehicle and caused some damage to the front end of my truck. That is what more or less spurred me into creating this bumper. I didn't like anything that was really out there on the market, and I had been really wanting to learn how to fabricate for a long time. Anyhow to make a long story short, I picked up a welder and a tube bender (Miller 211 and JD2 model 32) and I have started teaching myself how to make custom tube projects ever since. It has been an interesting learning experience with the welding bit and making compound bends with the bender. All in all I have really enjoyed it and I am hoping to build some more stuff here for other people and make some money $$$. Between my 250 and the jeep, there has been a lot of fabricating, so I am not in want for practice. Once my TJ is done, I'm planning on using the knowledge I have learned there, to create a custom cantilever four link for rear on the 250. I also just picked up 4.88s for my D60 and 10.5, and I could sure use some pointers on how to install those; are there any good places on the web or here at FTE to get some help? I am planning on having someone who knows how to do it work with me, but I want to try to get some book knowledge prior to embarking on that project. OK, so here are the pics. Feel free to comment or throw out pointers, I'm really new to the whole process, and I'm sure there are some veterans out there.

Right after the accident

Just got it back from the body shop

Finished installing the flares and headlights

Trying to find a good position for the winch

Playing around with cardboard

Getting some practice in on the center section. Thats 3/8"!!!!

Almost there!

The JD2 hydro tube bender. Amazing tool. We were bending 2' .250 wall DOM and it didn't even break a sweat. Very happy with it.

Winch mount is welded together and bolted on for fitment

Finally finished burning in the tube

Sitting next to the 6.0

Painted and clean!

The whole set up stuck out a little further than I imagined. Haha I know... the tires are really small compared to the rest. I think 40s would look proportional, hence I am preparing with the 4.88s.

I am happy with how it came out, I mean for my first time I can't really complain. Anywho, let me know what you think. Also, if anyone is interesting in getting something made, I would love to build something for you (not for free of course ). Obviously as I've stated, I'm new to the hobby, but I love doing it and I have some of the tools to do it.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:19 AM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User
For an off road only truck it looks very functional. If this was for a daily driver or tow rig I'd opt to mount the winch a little lower just so it could be tucked back under the front of the truck a little. That's really out there. It looks good.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:45 AM
helomech
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good to me for a daily driver in SoCal traffic.. especially the 91E on a friday after work!

What happened to the hella's from the top of the setup?

Old 02-19-2011, 03:01 AM
spinella
Postmaster
looks sharp. i really like the shape of the bars around the headlights.the only thing i would add is a 2" receiver tube under the winch. i use the hell out of mine.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Eatonpcat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks good...alittle long but who cares!!! Bigger tires would look good!!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:19 AM
vinmanin
Junior User
The winch position was hard to determine. I did want it to sit a bit closer to the grill and keep everything tucked a little more, but I also wanted to keep the tolerances big just in case. I chose to mount it higher for purposes of ground clearance.

I was thinkin about a reciever in the front, but due to hight, I wasnt sure if it would be usable.

thanks for the replies guys!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
For an offroad rig it looks functional. Only issue I see is from the bottom. Looks a little exposed to the radiators but I'm not much of an offroader so it might not even be a problem. For a tow rig or a daily driver might stick out to far. Than again in and around Akron you may need it. Some real road rage in that city.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:08 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I agree with Mike, a little exposed at the bottom but looks good. Maybe some stainless under the bottom? Or Power coat it black.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
vinmanin
Junior User
Your right, it is exposed. I actually just picked up a procomp skid plate the other day that I am going to try to make work underneath there. I really don't wanna lose the radiator ha ha. Has anyone ever shortened there wheel bases? I'm going to post that stuff in the offroad forum, but I was just curious if anyone has or know someone who has. I want to talk to the guys who did the ranch truck for the ultimate adventure 2009. They took like 18 inches off of the frame!!

Old 02-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
That is a really GREAT job you did. I think you could make soem good $$$ making custom bumpers and everything else for people.
~Gage~

Old 02-21-2011, 09:17 PM
spinella
Postmaster
Originally Posted by vinmanin
The winch position was hard to determine. I did want it to sit a bit closer to the grill and keep everything tucked a little more, but I also wanted to keep the tolerances big just in case. I chose to mount it higher for purposes of ground clearance.

I was thinkin about a reciever in the front, but due to hight, I wasnt sure if it would be usable.

thanks for the replies guys!
i made a drop hitch. it keeps the bikes on my bike carrier out of my line of sight. so keep the receiver tube up high.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:11 AM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
I think it turned out great! I especially like the first front pic once everything is done, labeled "Finally finished burning in the tube" love the shape of it. These trucks are so huge though that tube looks a bit small!

I started making a DIY bumper for my F150 and gave up. For one I just dont have good enough equipment yet. Harbor frieght bender & welder just aint good enough. I might have to swing up to Akron some time... family is in east canton... got a bumper project for you possibly (or 2)...

Old 02-22-2011, 08:41 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by helomech
Looks good to me for a daily driver in SoCal traffic.. especially the 91E on a friday after work!
You ain't kiddin

Old 02-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
I like the looks, but would double check the law requiring crash bar under tall vehicles like semitrailers have

Old 02-22-2011, 11:36 AM
vinmanin
Junior User
Originally Posted by Gage2502
That is a really GREAT job you did. I think you could make soem good $$$ making custom bumpers and everything else for people.
~Gage~
I hope so too!! I know there are people out there who want bumpers for a cheaper price then what is on the after market.

Originally Posted by 78bigbronco
I think it turned out great! I especially like the first front pic once everything is done, labeled "Finally finished burning in the tube" love the shape of it. These trucks are so huge though that tube looks a bit small!

I started making a DIY bumper for my F150 and gave up. For one I just dont have good enough equipment yet. Harbor frieght bender & welder just aint good enough. I might have to swing up to Akron some time... family is in east canton... got a bumper project for you possibly (or 2)...
Yeah I know!!!! I thought 2" tube would be fine ha ha!! Well I would be more than happy to take a look at what you want to do. Its hard to give a quote without knowing what you want to do, and what materials you want to use. Material costs can vary depending on type of steel. Feel free to PM or whatever if you ever decide you want to have one made up!

Originally Posted by Kajtek1
I like the looks, but would double check the law requiring crash bar under tall vehicles like semitrailers have
Oh yeah! I wasnt even thinking that. I will have to check the ORC or local laws on that. I am hopefully going to get a skid plate mounted up underneath it here soon.