Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-Atlantic Region > Pennsylvania Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pennsylvania Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Oldtrucknut7077

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Senior User

sckootter16 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Pa inspection question

Hi fellow pennsylvaniens I have a question about exhaust for pa inspection. I am redoing my exhaust on my 81 ford f150 . I live in butler county and no emission check. My question is for the tail pipe.I know I have to run the piping past the cab. Do I have to have a tail pipe running to the outer side of the truck or can i just have a turn down off of the muffler under the bed. I am putting a flow master super series 44 on my truck and I want some sound. I was going to just have a turn down off of the outlet side of the muffler and not worry about a tail pipe but I dont know if it would pass inspection. So please let me know thanx.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:10 PM

2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold
I found this:
(i) Exhaust system and discharge location. Exhaust systems are not permitted to discharge to the atmosphere at a location immediately below the fuel tank or the fuel tank filler pipe. Exhaust systems shall also extend and discharge completely to the outside edge of the vehicle body.

here:
067 Pa. Code §*171.21.*Exhaust system.

Also found this bit in the inspection procedure (link):

(6) Inspect the exhaust system and reject if one or more of the following apply:

(viii) The exhaust does not discharge to the outside edge of the vehicle body, including a truck bed, or as originally designed, except for the following:

(A) Heavy trucks or truck tractors. The exhaust system of every heavy truck and truck tractor shall discharge to the atmosphere at a location to the rear of the cab or, if the exhaust projects above the cab, at a location near the rear of the cab.

(B) Gasoline powered buses, including school buses. The exhaust system of a bus powered by a gasoline engine shall discharge to the atmosphere at or within 6 inches forward of the rearmost part of the bus. Until June 15, 1998, the tailpipe of school buses may extend to, but not beyond the body limits on the left side of the school bus within 60 inches of the left rear wheel as measured from the center of the wheel axis.

(C) Buses, including school buses, powered by fuels other than gasoline. The exhaust system of a bus using fuels other than gasoline shall discharge to the atmosphere either at or within 15 inches forward of the rearmost part of the vehicle; or to the rear of all doors or windows designed to be opened, except windows designed to be opened solely as emergency exits. Until June 15, 1998, the tailpipe of school buses may extend to, but not beyond the body limits on the left side of the school bus within 60 inches of the left rear wheel as measured from the center of the wheel axis.

Matt
2011 F350 - 6.2 CC, LB, 4.30s, Lariat Ultimate pkg, FX4, Amp steps, Lockpick, AC LC6i, JL HD900/5, JL 13TW5, JL C5-570's, Bilstein 7100 stabilizer, Rancho RS9000XL's, Leveled w/ 35" Toyo M/T's and 5 Star tuned
**Sold - 2000 F250 V10, 6.5" Pro Comp, 37" Toyo MT's
Old 02-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Posting Guru

thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.
I was going to put up the state vehicle code, but someone is faster.

I live in Butler also. Go over to Iarrapino's. They can make a custom pipe for you for the muffler back. It's been a couple years since I have used them, but I think they are still the place to go for exhaust work around here.

'02 F250 7.3 Auto Extended Cab Long Box 225+k Miles No Mods
Old 02-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Senior User

503racing is starting off with a positive reputation.
whatever was on it stock has to be there and outside the body behind the cab. if you had cats punch them out, modded my exhaust eliminating stock parts even with a 5000 mile or less exempt and they told me i needed them. guess it depends on where you go in all honesty,some shops will just say"tell them you did it afterwords"
96 dodge ext cab HD 2500 v-10
05 jeep wrangler unlimited
94 mitsubishi 3000 gt vr4 twin turbo
Old 02-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Senior User

sckootter16 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool thanx guys. Thomabb where in butler county do you live? I guess I will check Iarrapinos. thanx for all the help.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Posting Guru

thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sckootter16 View Post
Cool thanx guys. Thomabb where in butler county do you live? I guess I will check Iarrapinos. thanx for all the help.
Oakland Township. I can see St. Wendelins Church and the golf course from my yard. You?

'02 F250 7.3 Auto Extended Cab Long Box 225+k Miles No Mods
Old 02-20-2011, 09:12 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-Atlantic Region > Pennsylvania Chapter

Tags
81, 96, bed, exhaust, f150, ford, inspection, location, muffler, pa, pass, regulations, required, truck, turn