Head build 429

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 10:38 AM
Goodold71
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Head build 429

I am building my heads on my 72'429. They have been checked and ported now I want to replace the stock stuff with new.Does anyone offer a valvetrain kit for my engine? What are some good brands to use or what application have anyone used that works well.I am using an edelbrock performer intake/edelbrock 194/204
camshaft. I looked at lunati part #84170 for aluminum roller rockers.Also looked at Lunatis pedestal to stud conversion.Do I need this.I do not quite understand what to do here.I have been told machine them I have been told use conversion.What style do I have pedestal?Someone please school me in this.I want to build this engine as good as I can .I would like to know what size pushrods/valves and all the technical stuff.Thanks

Old 03-12-2003, 03:55 PM
airharley
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head build 429

The pedistol mount roller rockers are good if you plan on leaving a mild cam in there. They are not adjustable and you might end up having to shim the mounts to get the lifter preload you need. Machining the heads to accept screw in studs will increase your options for cams. The valve train is adjustable and you can use what ever cam you want. The cost is a little more but you will have less chance of snapping a conversion stud. Conversion studs have a 5/16's threaded area that screws into the head and the upper stud is 7/16's. You can figure the end result.