1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2006 expedition tailgate rust

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:58 PM
kramerpage
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 expedition tailgate rust

Just found rust on the inside lip on the bottom of the rear hatch of my new expedition. It is about 1/4 inch up from bottom edge before the gasket. There are 5 seperate one inch spots. I read post how earlier models had alot of door rust problems. I inspected all other doors and found no rust. Is this still the norm for a 2006 model? The vehicle was on the big island of Hawaii for 3 1/2 years. Was it the salty surf? I will tackle repairs when the weather turns soon.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:27 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kramerpage
Just found rust on the inside lip on the bottom of the rear hatch of my new expedition. It is about 1/4 inch up from bottom edge before the gasket. There are 5 seperate one inch spots. I read post how earlier models had alot of door rust problems. I inspected all other doors and found no rust. Is this still the norm for a 2006 model? The vehicle was on the big island of Hawaii for 3 1/2 years. Was it the salty surf? I will tackle repairs when the weather turns soon.
It's not rust, it's oxidation of the aluminum panel because of bad prep at the factory. Pretty common issue prior to 06, I guess they kept it going...

Old 02-18-2011, 08:59 AM
apgarassoc
Senior User
If you really think it's rust, verify with a magnet that your liftgate is steel. Although the OEM hood and liftgate were aluminum, some aftermarket replacements are steel. Your's might have been in a fender bender and had the lift gate replaced.

Word of warning to all Expy owners, if you are in an accident and need to get the hood or liftgate replaced, make sure they specify an aluminum replacement. The OEM hinges, etc. were not made for the weight of a steel part.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 PM
mayor
Senior User
Our 04 had this Ford fixed it no charge. They were going to replace the hatch then changed to just repair and paint it has held up great.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:43 PM
trad11
New User
Yup... My 2005 Is rotting on the underside of the hood and now it is rolling to the front edge of the hood... And the tailgate is blistered in two spots on it, Besides the seam on the tailgate is all messed up... First on race day... yea... I have taken many pictures of other Expedition with the same problem... What the heck?

Old 03-12-2011, 12:46 AM
mjpmn
New User
My 03 Expy had the same oxidation issue on the rear hatch. Would have cost me 800 to get it fixed at dealer. I decided to fix it my self and it doesn't look to bad. I'm done giving Ford money for issues they caused.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:03 PM
GaryJr
Freshman User
Had the same thing on my 2006 XLT. took it to Ford! but had over 40k miles on it but 2 years old Dealer said it was out of warranty!!! they wanted around $800 for it! VERY PISSED I have notices the same spots on HUNDREDS OF expeditions! I will be getting it done but not till I have to! my be this summer when I can not need the thing on the weekend!

Old 03-13-2011, 01:42 PM
meeker
Cross-Country
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Would any of you be able to post a picture of this oxidation?

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:05 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by meeker
Would any of you be able to post a picture of this oxidation?

Thanks!

You'd know it if you had it...it is ugly bubbles that usually start around the license plate light frame (the piece above the plate). Check out Expy's when you walk through parking lots, there are lots of them that have it.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kramerpage

All cars that live in the coastal ares are potential rust out victims. When I lived in So. Florida I saw many cars that showed signs of the problem on one side only and found out that the owners lived pretty close to the shore and always parked their cars the same way in their gadage or carports. One car was owned by an older couple that used it very little but lived about 2 blocks from the ocean, after about 12 years and less than 10,000 miles their Maverick was a rust bucket. It makes me sick to see things like that.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:37 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
One car was owned by an older couple that used it very little but lived about 2 blocks from the ocean, after about 12 years and less than 10,000 miles their Maverick was a rust bucket. It makes me sick to see things like that.
I guess DeLorean wasn't all that wrong then...

Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
It's not rust, it is oxidation of the aluminum panel. Doesn't make it any prettier to look at, but it isn't rust and will not rust through the way something that's rusting would. It is a surface condition that is preventing the paint from staying adhered. The bubbling is the oxidation happening further along from where it started lifting the paint.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:46 PM
rvbuilder2002
Junior User
    Filiform
    Intergranular and Exfoliation
    Galvanic

They are all problematic on anything built with aluminum alloy materials such as aircraft, airstream trailers, vehicles, etc.

They all have different causes, but generally trapped moisture is directly related to them occurring. This is usually related to improper preparation or finishing processes, but not always.

I would be interested in seeing some quality photos of the problem. If we could identify what type of corrosion seemed to be occurring, we could establish a recommended process to assure any repair will actually stop it.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 PM
    Moto Mel
    Postmaster
    Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
    Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
    It's not rust, it is oxidation of the aluminum panel. Doesn't make it any prettier to look at, but it isn't rust and will not rust through the way something that's rusting would. It is a surface condition that is preventing the paint from staying adhered. The bubbling is the oxidation happening further along from where it started lifting the paint.

Oxidation of aluminum is just another form of rust, the name Rust is from the color of the residue in iron or steel, not the event as both process' is oxidation. The oxidation of aluminum can and will in due time go entirely through the metal panel that is affected by the process of oxidization.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 PM
    alwaysfords41
    Posting Guru
    Originally Posted by Moto Mel
    Oxidation of aluminum is just another form of rust, the name Rust is from the color of the residue in iron or steel, not the event as both process' is oxidation. The oxidation of aluminum can and will in due time go entirely through the metal panel that is affected by the process of oxidization.

I should have qualified it better. You are correct. In this situation, which I've followed closely (since I've had it on one of mine) I have yet to hear of perforation. Some of the earlier vehicles that have this are now 8 years out. Will they perforate in 20 years? Maybe, but they are so ugly to look at not many people could bear to leave it alone.

Quick Reply: 2006 expedition tailgate rust