1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford "Tonka Truck"

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 08:31 AM
SSN621
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford "Tonka Truck"

I was driving through town last night and saw a Ford "Tonka Truck" sitting in a parking lot at a restaurant. This IS an awesome looking truck. I went on the internet to find some info pertaining to price and availability but had no luck. Seems like most of the info is about the original concept. Anyone know if these are being sold in their area?

Old 03-12-2003, 09:35 AM
CBSuperduty
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford "Tonka Truck"

No they are not being sold anywhere. It is a concept. Now I am not doubting you but are you positive that it was the tonka and not just a yellow 1 ton dulley?

Old 03-12-2003, 10:00 AM
franktheman
Senior User
Ford "Tonka Truck"

I'm sorry, but the TONKA is terrible looking-with any luck it'll stay a concept.

I'm sure if Ford released it there would be those who would just have to have the latest thing to keep up with the Jones' so to speak, but it would ruin the SD line to me.
It's the best looking of all the concepts -Dodge's and Chevy's are but ugly-but that ain't sayin much for the TONKA.

It's boxy-REAL boxy-it has NO shape at all-even the rear fenders are nothing more than thin extensions so as not to give the Box any shape there either!

Regards.

Old 03-12-2003, 11:38 AM
nafzimo
Posting Guru
Ford "Tonka Truck"

I'd love to have that Hydraulic Launch Assist system though.

Old 03-12-2003, 04:28 PM
SSN621
Freshman User
Ford "Tonka Truck"

I'm positive it was the Tonka, I was sitting at a traffic light for about 30 seconds and the truck was only 50' away from me so I got a good look at it. It was black. As soon as I got home I looked at them on the internet and confirmed it looked like the one I saw. There was no doubt it was the Tonka. The physical size of the thing along with the tires, wheels and body style make it unmistakeable. One of the web sites stated that the Tonka would come with the 6.0L Diesel so I figured that had to be relatively recent info. I'll probably call my Ford dealer tomorrow and ask him about it. (I'm sure its BIG dollars)
I don't think it would "replace" the SuperDuty line. It would be another version of a ford truck like the Lightning is to the F150 series. And I'm sure some people will buy it because they think it looks good, not just to keep up or have the latest. It has some really nice interior features also.
That hydraulic launch assist system does sound great. 25 to 30% savings in around town fuel economy, or so the stats state. anyway.

Old 03-12-2003, 09:30 PM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ford "Tonka Truck"

About the price on the Tonka, I read it to be somewhere in the 40 - 50K dollar value. I personally do not like it in yellow. I've never seen one in black though, nor have I seen one in person. Any idea on who was driving that truck, and why ??? (To bad you didn't have a digital camara handy
I'd love to catch a look-see at it

Old 03-12-2003, 11:37 PM
FordRancher
Senior User
Ford "Tonka Truck"

Just a thought, but maybe it was out for testing purposes. My mind is blank and can't think of what they call that Or maybe it wasn't the Tonka and it was the future SD, which I hope doesn't look like the Tonka, even though they will probably use some of the styling of it and other ideas. Just something to think about. I really doubt it was a privately owned Tonka.

Old 03-13-2003, 08:21 AM
CBSuperduty
Posting Guru
Ford "Tonka Truck"

I don't know but a few months ago I saw a report on the subject and they said there was only 1 of them and it was yellow. It only went 15MPH and had over a 100k dollar price tag. It might have changed since then but are you sure it was not a F650 that was all done up??

Old 03-13-2003, 09:22 AM
SSN621
Freshman User
Ford "Tonka Truck"

I stopped by my Ford dealer this morning and asked them about the "Tonka". It is not in production yet. There is a fully functional one out there but its yellow. They said the truck I saw was an F650 that the owner had modified to make it look like the Tonka. (Nice job) I live in a small town so I figured if someone had the truck these guys would know for sure, or at least know of the truck and they did. If I see it again I'll try and get a picture of it or talk to the owner. Good call CBSUPERDUTY.

Old 03-13-2003, 11:41 AM
FordFleetSales
New User
Ford "Tonka Truck"

If you don't like the Tonka concept vehicle look, you better plan on buying a new truck soon as Ford plans on using those design cues on most new trucks. Look at a 2004 F-650 and you can see it in the new grill design.

Mike

Old 03-13-2003, 12:29 PM
wamp12000
Freshman User
Ford "Tonka Truck"

did it look like this

Old 03-13-2003, 10:54 PM
SSN621
Freshman User
Ford "Tonka Truck"

THATS IT!! I saw a truck just like that in Okeechobee, Florida in the Angus restaurant parking lot. Is that a basic F650 with a bed on it??

Old 03-13-2003, 11:16 PM
hitecdan
Elder User
Ford "Tonka Truck"

Big difference between that truck and the Tonka truck.

http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/Tonka/tonka.html

Old 03-13-2003, 11:27 PM
SSN621
Freshman User
Ford "Tonka Truck"

Sure is. So much for:
"I'm positive it was the Tonka, I was sitting at a traffic light for about 30 seconds and the truck was only 50' away from me so I got a good look at it. It was black. As soon as I got home I looked at them on the internet and confirmed it looked like the one I saw. There was no doubt it was the Tonka. The physical size of the thing along with the tires, wheels and body style make it unmistakeable."
Definitely my bad, you're right the black truck looks nothing like the "Tonka". The black truck looks a LOT better. I hang my head in embaressment and shame. I will force myself to sit in my neighbors Chevy dually with the Duramax for one hour as punishment.

Last edited by SSN621; 03-13-2003 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:16 AM
bddo
Senior User
Ford "Tonka Truck"

Originally posted by SSN621
Definitely my bad, you're right the black truck looks nothing like the "Tonka". The black truck looks a LOT better. I hang my head in embaressment and shame. I will force myself to sit in my neighbors Chevy dually with the Duramax for one hour as punishment.

Don't be so hard on yourself... Save a punishment like that for something much more severe!!!!!

Quick Reply: Ford "Tonka Truck"