6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

I hate the TPMS system and dealers need to chill out

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:34 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate the TPMS system and dealers need to chill out

my truck lists its tire pressures as needing to be 75 fronts and 80 rear. I have never owned a vehicle with such high recommended pressures. I also don't tow at max weight limits. my truck is an f250 and if I need 80 psi in the rears my rear trailer hitch would probably be dragging the ground. 80 psi would be carrying a max load on the rear axle not driving our bobtail around on the freeway. so I took my truck in for the first service and asked them to reset the threshold to 55 psi and the dealer people about had a cow saying how they would be violating federal law, how it would cause the truck to fail inspection. I said what if I put tires on that only have a max pressure rating of 65 psi, they then told me that because I would be putting an improper tire on that it would fail inspection.

ford needs to tell these dealers to CHILL out good lord, just because the TPMS system is set to 55 psi doesn't mean I would run my tires at that pressure!!!!!!! the purpose of the TPMS is to alert you to a tire with a problem most commonly a leak so that you are not driving around for weeks at a time on a 35or 40psi tire. I told them a guy at willey ford is fixing guys trucks all the time and resetting this, he said they called up there and asked them and the guy they talked to up there claimed that is not happening and that if it was whomever was doing it would be fired!!!! at this point I just wanna *****Tcan the entire system I am sick of the error messages everytime I get in the truck and the dealer openly admitted that they have tons of problems with the system in the winter time.

also I am wondering at what point am I going to see excessive wear in the center of my tires?? I looked over my tires and after 7k miles in comparison to my spare I have worn off about 40% of the tread!!!!!!

Old 02-16-2011, 07:03 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
your issue is not with the dealer its with the feds and the dot. yell at those guys. This tmps system is imo the aftermath of ford/ firestone explorer roll over issues from years back.
IMO the system is a great safty feature I wish my current truck had it. it save me 2 tire on my f150 from fords defective valve steams.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Go to a differant dealer,offer to even pay them to do the TPMS recalibration if they wont do it on there own.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:57 PM
TyWebb
Senior User
Does anyone know if another tire shop like discount or tires plus can reset the PMS yes, I said PMS system

Old 02-16-2011, 08:05 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drove mine into the dealer and told him about the problem. I asked him to lower the TPMS alert to 55psi. I went to lunch, in a loaner car, and returned an hour later. Done...No charge...never a word about illegality

Old 02-16-2011, 08:15 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The wear is more of a concern... 40% tread in 7,000 miles?

How many jackrabbit starts did you do?

Something is odd...

Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by gearloose1
The wear is more of a concern... 40% tread in 7,000 miles?

How many jackrabbit starts did you do?

Something is odd...
I will measure it but I could be exaggerating. but I can tell you there is a big time difference in tread and it seems to be about the same front and back.

to the guy who said he wishes he has TPMS ummmm I dunno about that. I also have a toyota sienna that has the same problem. although its a simple light on the dash and does not annoy me like the ford message center does on my truck. I am good enough of a driver to feel a low tire, I also pay attention to what my tires should look like when they are at full pressure.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by TyWebb
Does anyone know if another tire shop like discount or tires plus can reset the PMS yes, I said PMS system
I took off the "stock" tires & put mud terrains on at 900 miles... This was done at Discount tire. When the service guy pull my truck out of the shop - he said " wait - Ive got to fix the TPMS' I guess the light was on.. I know that the mud terrains max pressure is like 65# & the original tires was 80#. He got some handheld electric unit & cycled the ignition several times - then he walked around to each tire until the unit or truck beeped (I can't remember which)..

I have never seen a indicator - so am unsure of the "threshold" that he set.. But it seems that they were able to "retrain" or "reset the threshold" or something...

I might play with it this weekend - letting air out until the light comes on..

Old 02-17-2011, 10:27 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
There is nothing illegal about adjusting the TPMS system. If your dealer thinks otherwise, he is mistaken. Also, the truck was not designed for specific PSI in the tires... the TPMS was just calibrated for the tires the truck was shipped with. If you replace them with tires that require a different pressure, your TPMS *must* be adjusted in order to be functional.

As with just about everything in this world that people don't fully understand, there are a lot of misconceptions and a lot of people who will swear by those misconceptions.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:00 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
There is nothing illegal about adjusting the TPMS system. If your dealer thinks otherwise, he is mistaken. Also, the truck was not designed for specific PSI in the tires... the TPMS was just calibrated for the tires the truck was shipped with. If you replace them with tires that require a different pressure, your TPMS *must* be adjusted in order to be functional.

As with just about everything in this world that people don't fully understand, there are a lot of misconceptions and a lot of people who will swear by those misconceptions.
I agree with you but these guys are saying that putting lower PSI tires on will cause me to fail inspection and that lower psi tires will be incorrect for my truck. there needs to be a TSB put out on this issue.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:41 AM
rdenis
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can thank the class action lawsuit industry for inducing hyperbolic driven irrationality and fear.

Way too much CYA from manufacturers and their dealer minions now.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:48 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
cummins - the PSI measured at the valve stem for a given tire is used as an indicator of the volume of air present inside the tire. Some tires have a larger or smaller internal capacity than the stock tires, and therefore will have different pressures as measured, even when at the proper capacity. The proper PSI measurement is specific to your tires.

I don't live in Utah, so it is entirely possible that your state has safety inspection regulations that I'm not aware of. That said, I seriously doubt that they disallow the replacement of OEM tires with a different design.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:54 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
your issue is not with the dealer its with the feds and the dot. yell at those guys. This tmps system is imo the aftermath of ford/ firestone explorer roll over issues from years back.
IMO the system is a great safty feature I wish my current truck had it. it save me 2 tire on my f150 from fords defective valve steams.

I agree, my parents bought a brand new 99 explorer back in 99 with the bad firestones, thank god the tires never blew up

Old 02-18-2011, 09:47 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
except that his argument really isn't with the feds or the dot... he just wants his TPMS adjusted. The argument is with the dealer.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:46 PM
sledhead_24_7
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Cummins Cowboy, I see you are in Utah.

I just had my pickup in Idaho Falls Idaho yesterday at Broadway Ford and they were more than willing to reset the TPMS. All I did was mention that I had heard that it could be adjusted and the tech said to what psi? I said I would like 45 psi please. He said not a problem.

So if you are ever around Idaho Falls stop in and and have them do it. Their # is 1-208-252-8500.

I know the Ecpicowlic had his done at a dealer in Utah somewhere.

I think people who have had their TPMS reset should list the dealer at which it was done to help guys like you get it done as well.

Good luck

Quick Reply: I hate the TPMS system and dealers need to chill out