1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p1747 code need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:03 PM
giancarlo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p1747 code need suggestions

Hi, i have a f350 2000 4x4 automatic 170.000 miles.
service light on and OD light flashing.
i have code p1747 "EPC solenoid shOrt circuit"
this code make that the engine runs slow without power and hard shifting.
i change all the solenoid body and check all wiring.
later using a voltimeter i separate EPC solenoid wiring and see that have 5 volt. if i dont accelerate more 2000rpm OD light is not flashing and truck works normal but slow.
when i accelerate more than 2000rpm OD light begin to flash and transmission fail more.
i check that EPC wires mark about 0 volts when OD light is flashing.
transmission hidraulic system seems to be ok because oil is very red and clean.
maibe another sensor is making this failure, somebody that knows about this, thanks!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:26 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
You might want to check the wiring harness for chaffing around the back of the engine near the right cyl head..That circut is grounding to metal somewhere most likely..
Welcome to the site..
Good luck

Dick

Old 02-16-2011, 11:05 PM
buddyp
New User
Originally Posted by 99f350sd
You might want to check the wiring harness for chaffing around the back of the engine near the right cyl head..That circut is grounding to metal somewhere most likely..
Welcome to the site..
Good luck

Dick
hi dick my name is buddy was reading some treads hoping to find some info hoping you or any body can answer i have F250 super duty 2002 5.4 getting most problems fixed now i got a code sw transmisson out of range "well some thing close to that" any ideas truck seems to be running alrite but would like to fix before it breaks real bad

Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Code number?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:44 AM
giancarlo
New User
Thanks Dick,
i already check EPC solenoid wires, also put out all transmission wiring and check it. i am going to check again, do you know if is possible that anything else can cause this short circuit code? Thanks again.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:03 AM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

You either have a short or computer bad.. Back of right cyl head...Check it.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:05 PM
giancarlo
New User
we take out all transmission wiring, i realized that solenoid body plug was very sulphate , we disarm that plug and fully clean it.
also we clean all wiring , we are going to wait until tomorrow while all this is getting dry.
wiring on the back of cilinder is in good shape.
tomorrow we are going to try how it goes.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 AM
giancarlo
New User
i check the truck today and present the same malfunctioning, i am looking for some "experts" to help me, hoping to don´t be cheated for a lots of $$$$$ , i am in Chile so here we do not have many people to know about this ,and ford people in chile is going to tell me to change transmission, PCM, etc, etc, well , if anybody has another suggestion please post it.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:22 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Well if you check at the computer the epc wire for a short and there is none then you may have a bad computer.
With key on there should be 12v at one side of the epc to ground. That comes from the key sw basically. The other side of the epc goes to the PCM.. The pcm modulates this wire to control the epc..so if you disconnect the epc at the trans. wire color W/Y and measure resistance to ground at the connector key off to ground you should not have a short. Also unplug the pcm and then measure from the computer w/y pin 81 to the connector at the trans for a good connection and no short to ground..

Do you have a digital meter?
Do you have a drawing of the wires?

Dick

Old 02-21-2011, 07:48 AM
giancarlo
New User
thanks Dick,
I have a digital meter and i have the drawings, i am going to check as your instructions , i will inform you later , thanks again!!

Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM
giancarlo
New User
Hi Dick,
We check all wiring that is related with epc wiring. we found glow plug relay toasted!
We found that glow plug relay connector were bad pluged all on inverse!!
also we check that this piece was not original and also is not an appropiate for it, the one that they install (old owner) was a motor starter relay , not for glow plugs of diesel motors.
Obviusly i call to ford and this piece cost over US$ 300 and we have to import it.(15 days)
To test if this problem is causing EPC troubles we disconnect all this relay, and check.
Still same problem.
We think that computer is bad., we think that relay burn cause computer damage .
We put computer out, and open it. found a toasted diode.
With several caution change that diode.
Check the truck again and OD light off, transmission is working just fine.
Engine light on, i cannot find the person who scan it , next week i am going to scan.
But OD light doesn´t flash anymore and trans seems to work fine.
Now we check how many volts computer is sending to EPC, and appear 5 volts. this is a little strange because on electrical diagrams i think that must be 12 volts, ??? and you say also 12 volts.
Maibe we have anothers plugs bad connected.
Thanks

Old 02-23-2011, 04:05 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Key provides 12volts to epc and computer grounds that...So the computer doesn't do any more than ground the solenoid..Maybe its fine..Good job finding all that.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:09 PM
giancarlo
New User
icp sensor installation problem

Hi we are having troubles with a ford f350 2000 7.3 powestroke
when i found this truck, in the icp sensor hole in the engine i found a single bolt, so the truck was running without icp.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
i buy one on ebay and today we install the icp sensor with the adapter.<o></o>
If you can help me about this i will appreciate:<o></o>
Truck sends "p1280" code that is "inyector control pressure sensor circuit slow" before having the icp sensor
icp connector is very damaged, but i forgot to buy another one and i am trying to resolve this without having to wait another part from USA.<o></o>
We are not sure of proper position on wires on icp connector so we try today with 2 different positions.<o></o>
In one position the p1280 code remains same<o></o>
in the other position code change to p1210 (icp sensor signal voltage greater than expected) , check engine light turn off.<o></o>
But on two option truck runs without power, very poor force.<o></o>
Do you have the info of icp connector wires?<o></o>
something that you know about this?
the truck have code p0380 / p0475 / and P0603 but i thing none if this is causing this poor power of engine.

Thanks!!<o></o>

Old 04-18-2011, 05:13 PM
giancarlo
New User
icp sensor installation problem

hi i have a ford f350 2000 diesel 7.3 powerstroke
when i found this truck, in the icp sensor hole in the engine i found a single bolt, so the truck was running without icp.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
i buy one on ebay today we install the icp sensor with the adapter.<o></o>
If you can help me about this i will appreciate:<o></o>
Truck sends "p1280" code that is "inyector control pressure sensor circuit slow" before icp installation
icp connector is very damaged, but i forgot to buy another one and i am trying to resolve this without havind to wait another part from USA.<o></o>
We are not sure of proper position on wires on icp connector so we try today with 2 different positions.<o></o>
In one position the p1280 code remains same<o></o>
in the other position code change to p1210 (icp sensor signal voltage grater than expected) , check engine light turn off.<o></o>
But on two option truck runs without power, very poor force.<o></o>
Do you have the info of icp connector wires?<o></o>
something that you know about this?
also have code p 0380 / p0475 / 0603 i think that none of this is causing this poor power engine.
Thanks!!<o></o>

Old 07-30-2011, 07:02 PM
OHI
New User
To Dick From OHI Thank you this is what ben going on with my 2000 F-350 7.3 it is going to the claremont ford in NH to be look at I have owner it from day one it as 196k this truck is my baby I installed a new relay for the glow plugs from auto zone i think it not the right part it is not working i have a code p1747 "EPC solenoid shOrt circuit OD light begin to flash the same as giancarlo had going on in is 2000 F-350 thank you Dick

Quick Reply: p1747 code need suggestions